Goal: Sub 80kg

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nezumi

Re: Goal: Sub 80kg

Postby nezumi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Stefan_A wrote:Personally, I think it would be very interesting to see Kenyan long distance runners take up cycling. I am sure they'd shake things up dramatically.
Someone else has had that idea too: The Kenyan Riders Cycling Team
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

anttismo wrote:I lost weight - from 225kg to my current kind of 97-98 kg level on a diet that is mostly highly processed carbs. I do burn some 5000 calories a day, and it seems my weight goes down when calorie intake is below that and up when it is above that. Certainly doesn't seem like nonsense to me.
HOLY !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! DUDE!

Well done. Shedding over 56% of your weight is fricken amazing in my book.
Over what time frame?

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 am

Razorwolf wrote:
anttismo wrote:I lost weight - from 225kg to my current kind of 97-98 kg level on a diet that is mostly highly processed carbs. I do burn some 5000 calories a day, and it seems my weight goes down when calorie intake is below that and up when it is above that. Certainly doesn't seem like nonsense to me.
HOLY showtime DUDE!

Well done. Shedding over 56% of your weight is fricken amazing in my book.
Over what time frame?
Over about 18 months from start of 2010 until mid 2011. Start of 2010 also corresponds when I had my last beer, which had powered me over the previous 10 years, lol.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 am

anttismo wrote:
Nikolai wrote:.....Weight loss, as I have alluded to before I think, is a stupidly simple proposition. The energy in/out notion is rubbish that should be thrown out together with the food pyramid nonsense. Eat whole, natural food, get rid of processed carbs (including, of course, gels and 'energy' drinks), reduce natural carb intake (e.g. by only having carbs come from natural sources - fruit, veg and dairy) and you will lose weight without ever bothering with calorie counting (totally time wasting exercise).
Calorie in vs Calorie out seems to work pretty well for me, as do processed carbs. I lost weight - from 225kg to my current kind of 97-98 kg level on a diet that is mostly highly processed carbs. I do burn some 5000 calories a day, and it seems my weight goes down when calorie intake is below that and up when it is above that. Certainly doesn't seem like nonsense to me.

It's fine with me that other people go well on a paleo diets, and anti-processed food diets, or eat only bananas diet or whatever, but I like my diet and my weight and health are exactly as I want them.

I do agree with Nikolai in that "weight loss is a stupidly simple proposition." Just we may disagree about everything else :lol:
That's an enormous weight loss! :shock: And you are smashing us all in the distance stakes too. That's awesome. 8)

newie

Postby newie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 pm

doggatas wrote:Over the past three years my weight has fluctuated so much it, if I were to graph it, it would look like the profile of a lumpy stage of the Tour de France.....
....I have not been this motivated to achieve since my first year trying to make senior football (Aussie Rules).
Just my 2c here. I am not going to make any suggestions about what is the best eating/exercise strategy for you as that has been discussed at length in other threads. Personally I mostly subscribe to a simplistic energy in/energy out approach plus reducing highly processed foods. But I can appreciate that the human body and psychology is a pretty complex system, and that there are various strategies that may work well for different people.

Based on my selective quoting above, I would suggest you need to choose a strategy that is one that you know you can do for the rest of your life. You are highly motivated now and so your chances of dropping your weight in the short term are excellent. But if you don't choose an approach that you can sustain forever, then you are in danger of gaining again later when your motivation is not so strong. Healthy eating and activity have to be just a habit and normal part of life, that don't require much motivation on a day to day basis. That is something that concerns me about any form of rigid or strict eating regime. With the caveat that some people have the personality for which a strict approach is something they can sustain long term. in which case it does work. Having a careful think about what you realistically believe you can do forever, might be beneficial.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks newie, appreciate the time taken to respond.

Your post is timely as over the past week I have actually been eating more, not much more but more good food. I have also had excellent sleep and easier rest days between rides that require high effort.

Weight still dropping off and just tonight I achieved PB for 20m power.

But yes you're right I need to make changes that I can sustain over the duration. In terms of eating habits the few subtle changes made over the past week is something I could maintain.

newie

Postby newie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:23 am

Sounds like you're tracking nicely. Good luck!

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 pm

newie wrote:
Personally I mostly subscribe to a simplistic energy in/energy out approach plus reducing highly processed foods.
= WIN!

Totally aggree with everything else you said too. It's all about equilibrium. Find a good equilibrium and set your lifestyle up to STAY THERE.

PS. Living a good lifestyle is like a self fulfulling propheccy: you start eating well and excercising more so it makes you feel good, which makes you want to exercise more and continue eating well.!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Agree very much with recent vegen posts, can't add any more.
I do recommend doing a youtube search for Dr McDougall, you can always learn something about nutrition.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Crawf wrote:Agree very much with recent vegen posts, can't add any more.
I do recommend doing a youtube search for Dr McDougall, you can always learn something about nutrition.
Thanks for posting Crawf. Informative, as is his site.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Leanest cultures on earth ate a high carb, low fat, low protein diet around 80/10/10 perecentage wise of calories.

Leanest staple foods eaten by the leanest cultures are rice, wheat, sugar, fruits, corn, yam, potato.

I cycled 6545km in Jan on strava. I lost 1.5kg. Most of that was dehydration from riding 300km+ on 46 degree days. Im around 66kg training 800km a month. Around 64.5 training 6500km a month. My mum is obese. It aint genetics. Its food choices. Ive been high carb vegan since 2001. Im the leanest person on this forum and Id put money on it Ive eaten the most carbs in the last decade on this forum. Id also put money on it there is some that have done more miles than me on this forum yet still can't shift the body butter. Just like that swiss guy that rode 91 000km in a year recently and still remains tubby. Or the guy that set the world record around the world of 160miles a day average for 200 days and actually put on body fat if you watch his vids on youtube.

Ive enough energy to train with team sky when they were in Radelaide. (yep its on youtube)
I used to have chronic fatigue.
I no longer drink coffee or tea in the last decade.
Carbs keep you lean, satisfied, healthy and plenty of stamina to keep the gf happy when you step off the bike. ;)

Starch Solution by Dr McDougall is a great read I agree. You also get better red blood cell viscosity on a high carb low fat vegan diet. RBC's run on glucose....

PS: To the guy that claims vegans eat grass....Ive only ever eaten a handful of grass in my life and that was for a prank.

Vegan diet is so varied that most people have no idea what vegans can eat lol! Its a bit like getting dropped in the middle of the adelaide hills. You have so many climbing options you feel lost!
Vegan since 2001.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 pm

durianrider wrote:Im around 66kg...
durianrider wrote: Around 64.5
durianrider wrote: Im the leanest person on this forum
No you aren't. I weigh 60kg's at the moment and have never weighed more than 64kg's in my life. 50 years of good, healthy, entirely illness-free life.

I eat beef, lamb, pork, eggs, cheese and other animal products. Hamburgers, meat pies, pizzas and other fast food occasionally. I drink black tea and/or sugared coffee every day but no alcohol.

I also eat tons of vegetables and nearly a kilo of nuts per week and all other food types. THAT is the crucial point. I eat a sensible, wide variety of foods, portion size based on how much energy I expend. The more I do the more I eat.

SIMPLE AS THAT.

Oh, and I'm not neurotic about what I eat.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Tim wrote:I weigh 60kg's at the moment...
Which doesn't mean much without your height.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Nobody wrote:
Tim wrote:I weigh 60kg's at the moment...
Which doesn't mean much without your height.
What to speak of body type. Endurance, strength and vitality come before obsession with Kilos. Imagine if everyone was 60 Kg's - that'd be a funny sight! I am around 74 Kg and I can ride all day. That's good enough for this kid.

Being vegan is more than trying to beat the world skinny record. For some of us it makes sense because of the compassion aspect, the small carbon footprint and the health benefits are extra bonuses.
Last edited by ball bearing on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 am

Hey mate you know I'm on the same road a little different strategy however, I weigh all my food, very particular as to what I eat , until I reach my main goal I'm not overly concerned with how my training is going as you cant diet and train effectively. I have an APP on the phone I track all my food intake and have a Kj count for each day to lose 1kg per week. I've only just introduced coffee back into my diet. Also bonked a couple of times as my body started using fat for fuel, which releases estrogen and you feel like !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. That's all part of it.

Something which will happen is you will lose muscle mass, you will, just have to accept it, so I started lifting weights, also had some help here as well. My sprint kick power is down, due to now having the same weight come over the cranks by lifting weights and getting stronger it will re build what power I lost.

There are a couple of people in the Club which know a lot more about this and whom I'm getting help from, want any help or chat let me know. Rob.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:09 am

nailsaslegs wrote: for each day to lose 1kg per week.
you might know what your energy intake is, but how do you calculate your expenditure?

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 am

Stefan_A wrote:
you might know what your energy intake is, but how do you calculate your expenditure?
Power meter

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:19 am

For the past 3 days my weight of a morning has been in the 89s. Next milestone is 85kg. Funnily enough I have not lost any power, in fact it has been the opposite. Power is up across the range, max, 5, 10, seconds and 5, 10 and 20 minutes. I haven't really had the opportunity to smash out a 1 minute or 2 minute effort so cant comment there.

Really loving my meals now and I am not missing the chocolates, snacks and goodies one bit.

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:34 am

durianrider wrote:Leanest cultures on earth ate a high carb, low fat, low protein diet around 80/10/10 perecentage wise of calories.

Leanest staple foods eaten by the leanest cultures are rice, wheat, sugar, fruits, corn, yam, potato.

I cycled 6545km in Jan on strava. I lost 1.5kg. Most of that was dehydration from riding 300km+ on 46 degree days. Im around 66kg training 800km a month. Around 64.5 training 6500km a month. My mum is obese. It aint genetics. Its food choices. Ive been high carb vegan since 2001. Im the leanest person on this forum and Id put money on it Ive eaten the most carbs in the last decade on this forum. Id also put money on it there is some that have done more miles than me on this forum yet still can't shift the body butter. Just like that swiss guy that rode 91 000km in a year recently and still remains tubby. Or the guy that set the world record around the world of 160miles a day average for 200 days and actually put on body fat if you watch his vids on youtube.

Ive enough energy to train with team sky when they were in Radelaide. (yep its on youtube)
I used to have chronic fatigue.
I no longer drink coffee or tea in the last decade.
Carbs keep you lean, satisfied, healthy and plenty of stamina to keep the gf happy when you step off the bike. ;)

Starch Solution by Dr McDougall is a great read I agree. You also get better red blood cell viscosity on a high carb low fat vegan diet. RBC's run on glucose....

PS: To the guy that claims vegans eat grass....Ive only ever eaten a handful of grass in my life and that was for a prank.

Vegan diet is so varied that most people have no idea what vegans can eat lol! Its a bit like getting dropped in the middle of the adelaide hills. You have so many climbing options you feel lost!
What utter rubbish.

Lean cultures eat a low protein and low fat diet because they fricken poor and protein and fat are hard to come by. It's not done by choice.
I grew up on a farm in a third world country and we didn't eat a lot of meat because there simply wasn't that much around and it was expensive relative to people's incomes. 300g of beef would do a stir fry for a family of four for one meal.

Also, saying it "aint" genetics is not entirely correct either. I've fluctuated between 58kg and 62kg. 58kg when I was in uni and really active. 62kg a few years ago when I was drinking a truckload of beer and playing heaps of video games. In my opinion genetics plays a part, if someone from european or anglo decent ate and drank as much as did during those years of my life they would be much bigger than 62kg.

Also, I highly doubt you are the "leanest" person on this forum. It's a pretty big call.

I'm now 59kg and ride approximately 650km a month which is no where near the mamoth kms you're doing. Drink plenty of coffee, sink a shiteload of beers, eat whatever the hell I want. Most of the time it's a balanced diet but I regularly over indulge. All that and I'm willing to bet my weight will stay betweend 59 - 60kg.

Kinda debunks your theory of being healthy while having to deep throat a bucket of bananas.
You're able to consume that much carbs because you do an assload of riding and burn it off.
Different strokes for different folks. Stop trying to give bogus diet and health advice based on what works for you.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Stefan_A wrote:
nailsaslegs wrote: for each day to lose 1kg per week.
A power meter, and also I have a physical job, I own my own carpet cleaning business which works me over pretty good.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Oh no. Just had a visual of you getting worked over.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Now if you're really serious about weight loss, you should be measuring the caloric output from your stools as well. What you absorb does not equal what you eat...

But jokes aside, it worries me I hear that people's performance is being significantly affected by their weight loss program. To me, that's a sign that you're either under eating or over exercising, and likely losing weight too fast.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

I agree. I could lose 20kgs and it will only improve my w/kg. Even if I lost power during that process. The weight loss is the better thing.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey Skull since you saw me I have lost around 7kgs to date.

Of course performance is going to be affected your not going to have the energy stores while you are dieting to get down to the goal weight. Your just not. I'm getting down to what weight I want as soon as I can. Dieting has affected my 5min, 10min, 20min power but has affected the initial punch. That's where sprint training, and weights come into it. Most cyclists, including myself until now really know don't know a lot about dieting or weight training, or even specific training for races.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:38 pm

nail, sounds like you are going about it very sensibly, and prioritizing weight loss over power preservation. nothing wrong with that.

From my understanding, losing anymore than 1/4kg a week will lead to measurable power loss due to more significant lean tissue loss. My weight mgt goals are more based on waist circumference which are a good proxy for body fat %, and are not confounded by lean tissue gains mixed with fat losses.