Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
minhyy

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby minhyy » Sun May 18, 2014 2:49 pm

just got back from the ride/party - good to meet the man, Stu, very inspirational to see you on the recumbent whizzing past us. Also nice to put faces to names (trailgumby, g-boaf) and the retro ride regulars. A special thanks to Bruce, Rheicel and Stu's wives, Claire and co. for putting on a good spread.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

That was a great ride - and Sydney put on perfect weather for the catch up. :)

Nice to meet so many of you. I was circling around SOP wondering if I'd missed everyone, but those immaculate looking retro bikes gave you guys away. :D

Gretaboy: Wonderful to see how much you've progressed since the last time we spoke when you were at Ryde. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Yeah yeah now where are the pics? :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 18, 2014 3:16 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yeah yeah now where are the pics? :(

Foo
They'll be coming. Patience! :) I wasn't the photographer today. 8)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 18, 2014 3:30 pm

There's only one word for that: Brilliant. :)

Thanks for organising Bruce, Mrs Bruce, Stuart and Sandy, rheicel, isabella24 (and sorry to anybody I missed). It was great to meet everybody and put faces to names,

It was great to see Stuart's progress. Dude, you're tough to keep up with on that recumbent. "Flying Furniture" is about right for the brand name on that bike, with you in the engine compartment. :lol:

http://www.strava.com/activities/142427161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun May 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Great day for a good ride round SOP. It was good to meet Gretaboy, g-boaf, trailgumby today, and nice to see everyone else again.

As with our other local recumbent rider(Mark with his Rotovelo), Gretaboy wasnt the fastest up hills, but flew by on the downhill and flats. Its amazing to see how much you have progressed in the space of 4 months 8) .

And Chris, youre too fast. Left us behind in no time after we left. :shock:
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 18, 2014 6:53 pm

You wouldn't have that trouble with me - I chickened out of the steep climb up the first part of Mowbray Road and the thought of Roseville Bridge was too much. :lol:

I took the Epping Rd bike path into North Sydney and went home via The Spit. 100km for the day, first time metric century. :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Claire your banana muffins got the stuffed gob of approval - Peters first words on waking up after his nap - more little cake, its very delicious.

Thanks for a great day, fabulous weather & company.

Cheers

Bruce

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:Claire your banana muffins got the stuffed gob of approval - Peters first words on waking up after his nap - more little cake, its very delicious.

Thanks for a great day, fabulous weather & company.

Cheers

Bruce
Lol no probs I'll send you the recipe!!

Great to finally meet Gretaboy and Ms Gretaboy in the flesh. My partner Craig has this to say and it sums up what I think perfectly:

"Gretaboy, you have gone through so much adversity and yet you have remained one of the most positive people we know. We both wish you all the best and it was a pleasure to meet both you and Sandy today. We both think that you could be a real inspiration for everyone, no matter what their situation."

To everyone else, it was great to see you today, special thanks to Bruce for organizing it :-)
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:33 pm

How is everything going here?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:How is everything going here?

Foo
Foo..overall it is good. I am out cycling still, got my very own recumbent trike, and loving it...but...am also facing lots of little issues that rehab life didnt have. Life at home is a real challenge mentally as its not until you get home and try and live "normally" do you realise what you have lost. I have put my hand up with the people around me and said I need to speak with someone.

But overall I am loving being at home and life is good, am trying to make the most of my second chance at life :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 pm

That is really good to hear mate. :mrgreen: Stay positive with things and don't forget that you have plenty here to sound off at.;)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Always good to speak to someone, whose not there and not living with you. Smart move and well done!

You're allowed to have bad days and good days.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Good on you for putting your hand up, the recent ManTherapy website ads prove that it is a huge thing for guys, and blokes generally don't take it seriously.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Out of the loop since the crash news on the commuter challenge thread, great to come back and see you got a second chance, will start from page 1 now, best wishes gretaboy.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Well clocked over 6000 "commuting" k's today. As you can see from my sig it stopped at 600 k's when I had my accident, havent updated the link since. Never thought I would click over 6000 for the year.

Also "completed" that failed commute on the 16th Jan the saturday thats just been. Stopped at the accident scene and had a look at all the markings on the road, amazing how far my head ended up from where the marks of the parked car was. Didnt really feel anything emotionally whilst at the site.... think all I said at the time was "oh well sh*@t happens".

The wife has put the desire back into me and I am now going to pursue a para cycling classification and try and get into the para cycling competition scene. I need the classification in order to know what type of bike I need to get, dont want to drop coin and then find out what I bought is wrong.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Great effort mate. You're an inspiration.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:01 pm

gretaboy wrote:The wife has put the desire back into me and I am now going to pursue a para cycling classification and try and get into the para cycling competition scene. I need the classification in order to know what type of bike I need to get, dont want to drop coin and then find out what I bought is wrong.
Hear that rattling sound ? It is para cyclists quaking in their boots hoping you don't end up in their classification.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Good stuff! 8-)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks for the update, let us know about which classification you end up in. I was at a TT on the weekend in Perth and there was a kid (Andrew - I think) on his three wheeled bike having a good old time :D

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 pm

That's marvellous stuff, although I think both me and Ox would agree that you need not add alll those km's as commutes now!

Personally I can't believe I took you nearly being killed/paralysed for me to keep up in the kms until October. Makes my efforts seem quite meagre.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

^^^ Wot he said. Simply inspirational stuff!

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:58 pm

hey Gretaboy, that's fantastic. you are a machine. life is partly about having stuff thrown at you and seeing how you respond. you've passed with honours mate. keep it up, you're a role model to everyone who will face challenges in one form or another.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Props to you GB ... especially like the way you can look at the scene. Might be a career as a trauma counsellor for you if know how you did that :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I've just skimmed over this thread, and out of interests sake and hoping not to have to scour many pages, if you don't mind me asking what are the lingering injuries/physical impacts of the accident almost 12 months on? What's stopping you from riding a stock bicycle, fused vertebra?

Cheers,

Tony