Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
cowled

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby cowled » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:26 pm

gretaboy wrote:I finally got to see what happened to me....not as bad as I thought it might be

:cry: gb, my heart is in my mouth after watching that.

Do yourself a favour and try not to watch it too much.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Huey wept!! That's not nice. You got taken out like a stray plastic bag or an unlucky parrot!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Yikes! Did you actually hit the parked car or just go around it? That was sickening to watch.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

phineas

Postby phineas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 am

OMGosh that was brutal :(

That must have been very frightening for the driver of that car too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 am

queequeg wrote:Yikes! Did you actually hit the parked car or just go around it? That was sickening to watch.
If you slow it down you can actually see the taillight of the parked car explode somewhat so it seems I did hit the car which has then thrown me into the oncoming cars path

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am

gretaboy wrote:I finally got to see what happened to me....not as bad as I thought it might be
That was pretty shocking. I will remember that every time I go out on the bicycle.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:28 am

gretaboy wrote:
queequeg wrote:Yikes! Did you actually hit the parked car or just go around it? That was sickening to watch.
If you slow it down you can actually see the taillight of the parked car explode somewhat so it seems I did hit the car which has then thrown me into the oncoming cars path
OMGosh - appallingly bad luck that the 4WD approached just as you reached the parked vehicle. Don't know if this makes you feel any better, but a couple of years back
my GLW (not an avid cyclist) clipped the back tray of a parked ute (see this thread). - left her and then me sprawled on the road the in the traffic lane.
Very fortunately, there was no following traffic. So she got out of it with a broken coccyx, and me with a minor graze.
There's no explanation for why she didn't see and avoid the ute - accidents happen. We were lucky, you weren't so lucky. Anyone of us could end up in your situation
(or like those on Southern Cross drive recently). What really matters is how you deal with bad luck, and what you've done is inspirational.
g-boaf wrote: That was pretty shocking. I will remember that every time I go out on the bicycle.
+1. And 'll remember it everytime I've got to drive past a cyclist who might be approaching a squeeze point.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 am

wombatK wrote:OMGosh - appallingly bad luck that the 4WD approached just as you reached the parked vehicle.
That is a valid way of looking at it - gretaboy was also unlucky that the 4WD only put one wheel into the empty lane rather than changing lanes completely.

Another way of looking at it is that he was lucky that the driver of the 4WD saw him before the collision and moved at all. Without that early movement the results could have been even worse.

Would things be different if the driver was required to leave 1.5m clearance (this is a 90 km/h zone) as per the Qld trial ?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Sorry Gretaboy, I'm not going to watch it. My imagination is bad enough plus I know how watching falls takes me back to my big fall in the Simpson. When Beloki had that fall in the Tour I was almost sick and even now it is too close to my experience for me to watch!
You however remain an inspiration. My goal is to do 18-20 thousand kms this year and I think of you often as I am riding.
Stay strong!
Andrew

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

OMGosh, that sound.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:.
Would things be different if the driver was required to leave 1.5m clearance (this is a 90 km/h zone) as per the Qld trial ?
We'll never know the answer to that question, but it could only have helped if the driver had been moving a little more to
give extra clearance before seeing the unexpected. Even 1.5m doesn't give you much space to fall in if you've gone sideways
after clipping a parked vehicle - my seat is 1.05 m off the ground, and there's another 0.95m of me sitting on it (without
counting helmet).
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Lizzy wrote:OMGosh, that sound.
I didn't watch it with sound before. :shock: I did just then. :( I think I'll go for a quiet walk for a while.

Having met GB, that makes it harder hitting. I know I try to be fairly careful when I'm out on the road, but I'll have the video in my mind.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:05 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Lizzy wrote:OMGosh, that sound.
I didn't watch it with sound before. :shock: I did just then. :( I think I'll go for a quiet walk for a while.
watched it once, without sound. not watching it again.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Holy headwind, gb, that video is going to feature prominently in my nightmares for a bit...
Having seen this, your recovery progress is all the more remarkable....

Keep up the excellent work!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Just on another note, the rugby league player Alex McKinnon featured in the video on here earlier in this topic will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. :(

Edit: Possibly not - the reports have changed.
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just on another note, the rugby league player Alex McKinnon featured in the video on here earlier in this topic will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. :(
:(

GB, that vid is chilling. :shock:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:58 am

Gretaboy- agree with the comments- scary stuff without sound, nightmare with sound on. Keep up the great recovery!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am

To put all of this dangerous behaviour into perspective, my grandfather fell out of bed, hit his head on the bedside table, and didn't walk again for months afterwards. He never walked properly ever again and had grip issues on both sides. Stuff happens.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:To put all of this dangerous behaviour into perspective, my grandfather fell out of bed, hit his head on the bedside table, and didn't walk again for months afterwards. He never walked properly ever again and had grip issues on both sides. Stuff happens.
BFV - I agree. There is a lady here who went to lunch whilst at work, she tripped on a paver and hit her head on a wall, she is a quadraplegic now and has no movement in her body apart from the head, she controls her wheelchair via her chin....shyte happens as they say.

I had luck on my side that day, thats all I can say

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Some more good news for myself this week. I got the nod from the neuo gods to remove my neck brace....well wean myself off it over a two week period. That meant the neck brace stayed on until I got back to the rehab unit and once I got to my room, aka jail cell, it came off. I am wearing it whilst cycling still and when getting driven around by the wife, mad as, when driving in sydney.

Talking about the wife, she has just committed to a 3 day bike ride from Sydney to Canberra for NSW Police Legacy. This will be the first big ride she has ever done, seems my accident/situation has spurred her on with regards cycling. She is also going to get a racing licence and race in F grade this weekend for the first time.

https://give.everydayhero.com/au/sandra-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a few dollars to spare, please donate. I would not be where I am without my wifes support and it would be great if she got some support in her first major riding event.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Done:
1) It's for a good cause.
2) Sandra deserves it.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 am

isabella24 wrote:Done:
1) It's for a good cause.
2) Sandra deserves it.
You betcha! Let us know how she goes :)

Good news on the neck brace too, those things must get old after a while.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Go Sandy! Target 1 almost met, time to up it.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far...very encouraging for Sandra....as said in the movie waterboy..."you can do it"

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Done!!! Go Sandra!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...