Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gretaboy

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby gretaboy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:49 am

brett.hooker wrote:Done!!! Go Sandra!!!
Champion :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:34 am

Not trying to hijack this thread BUT I am very proud of the "Boss"

The lovely wife went in her first race yesterday. It was supposed to be a graded scratch race but got changed to a handicap format at the last minute. My instructions/suggestions on how to ride the race were wrong given the late change in format but despite this, Sandra came......

FIRST

Am really happy for her and proud of her. After the race the handicapper told her she would be going up a grade :shock: ....lucky her

Now the next big challenge for her is the 3 day 300+ kilometre "charity" ride this coming weekend. I am jealous :(

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am

^^ 8) ^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 am

Well done Sandra!
And Gretaboy- how can you hijack your own thread? LOL!
Andrew

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 am

gretaboy wrote:Some more good news for myself this week. I got the nod from the neuo gods to remove my neck brace....
If you have a few dollars to spare, please donate. I would not be where I am without my wifes support and it would be great if she got some support in her first major riding event.
Good news indeed! Donation made....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:27 am

This is exactly why Sandra is motivated to do the charity ride and racing....the support we have received from the cycling community in particular has just been overwhelming and she wants to put back

I will never be able to truly convey in words what this support has done for my rehabilitation along with all the other support I have received from work collegues

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:16 pm

gretaboy wrote:This is exactly why Sandra is motivated to do the charity ride and racing....the support we have received from the cycling community in particular has just been overwhelming and she wants to put back
I will never be able to truly convey in words what this support has done for my rehabilitation along with all the other support I have received from work collegues
When's Sandy's big ride, btw? Couldn't make out the date from the pages, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Good to see your Endomondo kms climbing!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

TailWind wrote: When's Sandy's big ride, btw? Couldn't make out the date from the pages, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Good to see your Endomondo kms climbing!
This coming friday...they start at 5:30am I believe. They finish in Canberra on Sunday. She is currently out on a "training" ride for it.

Should have seen how much coin was dropped on the weekend buying gear to help stave off the potential cold....I thought we could have saved lots by simply packing some cement in clip lock bags lol but I was shot down...as usual.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 am

The lastest news re my journey......I am being kicked out of the rehab unit on the 24th of this month. How could they do this to me, obviously they dont love me anymore :(

The push to clear beds is on as I am not the only one moving on around this date.

I am excited about this as it means we as a family are back living together but I am scared about my right hand and the need to continue constant rehab on it to try and bring it back. I have been told I will get rehab as an outpatient of John Hunter or through private resources but only time will tell as to how good this is. My leg is doing well and my walking is getting better but hands are so critical for daily life.

I am now looking at getting into the para cycling and giving that the best crack that I can. Another goal for me to pursue.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:35 am

That's great news!! Real life again :)

But I can understand the fear but you should embrace their trust in you and consider this Phase 3. You have been in a safe environment for a while but you don't need it as shown by them having confidence in your abilities to flourish at home.

I'm sure you have learned a few things over the last few weeks that will allow you to perform rehab at home. Perhaps ask the rehab gurus before you go for a detailed plan of things to do and also a progression path i.e. start with 5 and add 1 each day. That might give you a bit more confidence when you go home.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:13 am

Sending extra positive vibes your way Gretaboy, don't you be going soft on us now, fight it with every ounce of positive thought and determination that you have. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 am

Gretaboy, I found varying skill levels in my rehab physio's. Ask around (incl your hand surgeon) to find the best hand rehab physio and then go to them even if it is inconvenient.
My only regret (twice now) is that I persisted with a poor physio when I should have known better!!
Good luck - keep your chin up- it is a big move coming home!!
Andrew

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am

foo on patrol wrote:Sending extra positive vibes your way Gretaboy, don't you be going soft on us now, fight it with every ounce of positive thought and determination that you have. :wink:

Foo
+1. Very understandable that you've got some apprehensions, but you'd go stale if you stayed in the same place - and that would be good for nobody. Time to
challenge some new physio's and rehab peeps - you will get those hands much better too.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

find_bruce

Gretaboy’s coming out party

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 am

After a period of weekend release, Gretaboy is released on parole on 24 April. To celebrate, we are having a party - there will be rides (byo bike), food, good times.

What: cruisy 30 km loop around SOP & Parramatta River (thanks Wombatk), followed by a BBQ
When: Sunday 18 May
Where: Wilson Park, Silverwater
When: good question. We are open to suggestions, but were thinking say leave Wilson Park at 9 am, brunch around 10:30 am.

If you could let gretaboy or myself know if you are coming for catering purposes.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Time to say good bye to my home of two months or so tomorrow. It is 14 weeks to the day of my accident and I am being discharged to go home. Overall I am excited but at the same time it seems surreal. It seems as if I have spent a lifetime within the system but in reality, compared to others, my experience is just a blink and you miss it moment.

I am young compared to some and old compared to others. I have experienced something that I hope others never get to experience but I have also been the recipient of so much luck and have been witness to others whereby luck has passed them entirely. My journey is mine to travel and it is one that I do not regret having to have travelled. My journey has shown so many things about myself and others that I feel lucky, I still have a long way to go and many obstacles to overcome still but I know I wont look back with regret at anything and plan to embrace as best as I can anything that comes my way in the future.

My accident has brought me in to contact with some great people that I would have never met if it had not happened. For this simple fact I do not regret the accident. People like find_bruce, a true gentlemen and now a life long friend, trailgumby and g-boaf, two gentlemen who went out of their way to visit me in hospital and who are now friends also. These are people who didn't know me from a bar of soap yet came and visited me because I was and am a cyclist. There are people who couldnt visit me personally but showed their support via this forum and this thread and unfortunately I will never be able to express how much their support meant to me and how much it helped me on my journey. To everyone one of you all I can say is thank you and may you and your families be blessed.

To my work colleagues, both newcastle and wollongong, thank you, I will be making the effort to come and personally say thanks.

I must also say thanks to everyone for showing and giving their support to my dearly loved wife. Without her being by my side and supporting me I know I would not be getting discharged tomorrow. The support the cycling community has shown us has been such that she has been blown away by what has come our way from other cyclists and is now becoming an avid cyclists herself...it helps that she can kick my butt also when we go for a ride now. The support she got from BNA members for her charity ride to Canberra was just amazing, thankyou to everyone who showed their support.

I am no longer, physically, the person I used to be and this hurts but it has also opened up new avenues for me to pursue. I had just started racing at the Kooragang cycling club and was loving it, but dont think I have the ability to do so anymore...so...I am now setting my sights on para cycling, trikes, and have set the lofty goal of trying to get to a para olympics. I may never get there but am going to give it a great attempt regardless.

Life is great, just have to look at it with the right angle.

I am not going to put anymore updates about my journey/progress here anymore as I am sure everyone is sick of hearing about me by now, but seriously, it is time for me to try and live the rest of my life the best way I can and let this thread die a natural death.

Thankyou to everyone out there that has shown me/us support and please ride safe, too many cyclists are being killed or injured.

Oh..if you are in Sydney on the 18th May, please try and come to the ride organised by other forum members, listed above.... I would love to meet you and ride with you.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Good onya mate and stay positive, otherwise I might have to make a special drive down there to slap you around. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Gretaboy, I think you can still update us every now and then - I for one would be keen to hear how you go pursuing those goals!!
Andrew

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Well done. Time to move on.

I look forward to you posting on general topics on the forum.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 am

Hey Stu,

Can't tell you how pleased I am for you. Fantastic work, and all the best for the time ahead!
Hope to see you in the other threads!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 am

TailWind wrote:Hey Stu,

Can't tell you how pleased I am for you. Fantastic work, and all the best for the time ahead!
Hope to see you in the other threads!
+1000 to this

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 am

Great news that you are now moving on to the next stage of your recovery and your life can begin again. Enjoy whichever route it takes you

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

Awesome :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:11 pm

18th May duly marked. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 am

gretaboy wrote: My accident has brought me in to contact with some great people that I would have never met if it had not happened. For this simple fact I do not regret the accident. People like find_bruce, a true gentlemen and now a life long friend, trailgumby and g-boaf, two gentlemen who went out of their way to visit me in hospital and who are now friends also.
It was the least I could do. :) I'll be there on 18th May for sure! :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 17, 2014 8:36 am

Seeing as I'm a 1000klms away, I expect to see pics of said day! :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km