Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
find_bruce

Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 pm

On Thursday 16 January Gretaboy was hit by a car ... where the speed limit was 90km/h ... and he lived! He faces a long recovery and there will no doubt be ups & downs along the way. I thought it would be good to have a thread where his friends can see how he is doing and can help and encourage him through the tough times.

find_bruce

the bad news

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

gretaboy wrote:Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly. He was hit by a 4wd in Bersefield and sustained serious head and spin fractures. It was touch and go there for a while but currently in a stable condition in ICU. Unfortunately gretaboy has sustained a spinal cord injury. Surgery was required to fuse his neck fractures so there would be no further damage sustained to his spinal cord. Next step after things settle is rehab at RNS. The future at this stage is uncertain.

find_bruce

The press coverage

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

Newcastle Herald wrote:Image
MANGLED: A bicycle is inspected after a collision on the New England Highway at Beresfield. Picture: Marina Neil

A cyclist is also in John Hunter Hospital with head injuries after being knocked off his machine on the New England Highway near John Renshaw Drive at Beresfield on Thursday morning.
One eastbound lane of the highway was shut after a car and the man’s bike were involved in a collision.
Crash investigators were called and traffic was queued past Thornton Road during peak hour about 9am.
A John Hunter Hospital spokeswoman said the cyclist was in a stable condition yesterday afternoon.
ABC News wrote:Cyclist injured in collision with car

A cyclist is being treated for head injuries after a crash at Beresfield.

The cyclist and car collided on the New England Highway, near John Renshaw Drive.

The male cyclist, aged in his 40s, was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition.

The cause of the crash is being investigated by the police crash unit.
Maitland Mercury wrote:Meanwhile, emergency services were called to a second incident at 7.15am, on the New England Highway at Beresfield, after a cyclist collided with a car near John Renshaw Drive.

Paramedics took the man, aged in his 40s, to John Hunter Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

An Ambulance NSW spokeswoman said the man suffered head injuries during the crash.

She said the driver of the other vehicle was not taken to hospital.

Traffic banked up while emergency services closed one lane at each crash site so they could clear the scene.

A Roads and Maritime Services traffic management centre spokeswoman said there was a queue of traffic about 3km long at 10.30am.

She said both roads were opened again just before noon.

Police are investigating the cause of each incident.

find_bruce

The well wishes flooded in

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

hudnut wrote:Bugger.

Double bugger.

Thoughts are with you..
Lukeyboy wrote:Fark me. Really sucks to hear about that. My thoughts go out for you, gretaboy and your family..
jasonc wrote:PLEASE pass on our thoughts to gretaboy. And please keep us updated.
Robinho wrote:No words, I just hope he is able to recover, thoughts with you guys.
am50em wrote:Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
From Sydney cyclist forum:
"I am informed by a reliable source that an unregistered car was pulled up by the police the night before. They made the driver leave the car in the breakdown lane rather than move it off the road, which I am told the driver wanted to do. The cyclist clipped the car in the breakdown lane and veered into the path of the car which hit him. The car owner registered the car overnight and returned to pick it up the next day, only to discover the carnage."
Sigh..
trailgumby wrote:X 2. Very sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy recovery..
find_bruce wrote:Just awful news. Hoping the rehab & recovery go well. Let us know when he makes it to RNS & is ready for visitors.
gabrielle260 wrote:I hope things go well.... For Gretaboy, wife and family,
Thinking of you,
Andrew.
DavidS wrote:Geez, hope Gretaboy will be ok. Looks like a long rehab by the sound of it. Best wishes and get well mate.

Let's all be careful out there.

DS.
TailWind wrote:Oh no, oh no! Words fail me.
Devastating news. My thoughts are with you and gretaboy, and I wish you and gretaboy and family all the strength and positive energy to pull through this.
gretaboy is determined and fit and I am sure he'll do his utmost to achieve a full recovery. Please send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gero..
Mulger bill wrote:Oh crap. :-(
All strength to the gretaboy clan, prayers for a swift recovery..
cowled wrote:I am so very sorry to hear about this tragedy. I add my best wishes to everyone else's and hope that you and your family are strong enough to cope with the recovery process. One day at a time. Heal well.

find_bruce

Update 19 January 2014

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm

gretaboy wrote:Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Not much has changed since last post . Still in ICU and in a lot of pain

find_bruce

More well wishes

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

jasonc wrote:Please tell him I'll do my best to hold TW away from P1 on the endomondo commuter challenge. hopefully that'll give him a smile.
Fletcher wrote:OMGosh, that is terrible news. I wish Gretaboy and yourself all the best for rehab and recovery. He's very fortunate to have you there to help during such a difficult time.
Les.
singlespeedscott wrote:Get well soon Gretaboy
gabrielle260 wrote:Has everyone in the 10K Plus Club heard the tragic news about Gretaboy?
It's in the commuting thread... Really distressing... Thinking of him and his family,
Andrew
marinmomma wrote:So sorry to hear this news about Gretaboy, all the best for a speedy recovery.

Take care out there guys..
jules21 wrote:that's terrible news Gretaboy. wishing you a speedy recovery. stay strong..
michael_w wrote:gretaboy and Mrs gretaboy, I wish your family all the best at this terrible time and may gretaboy make a full and speedy recovery.
Summernight wrote:Terrible news about Gretaboy, thank you for updating us and I hope he makes a quick and speedy recovery..
westab wrote:Gretaboy and mrs gretaboy - wishing you both all the best during this difficult time.

Hope and pray that you make a full recovery Gretaboy - all the best for you and your family..
alexander wrote:much love and good vibes going to gretaboy and family..
Lizzy wrote:Oh dear Lloyd, very best wishes beaming out to gretaboy and clan :( :(

First day back at work after a glorious break, started the year as I hope to continue on the new(ish) 28km commute. Beyond that I think I'll just count my blessings..
warthog1 wrote:Just read about Gretaboy :(

Best wishes on a good and speedy recovery to Greta and family.

Stay safe everyone. There are some seriously incompetent and distracted drivers out there.
We hand out licences far too easily in this country and don't retest particularly as people age :x.
bychosis wrote:just read about gretaboy. Had heard about a rider hit on the news, but hadn't connected the dots. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
jules21 wrote:how is gretaboy doing? anyone know? mrs gretaboy?.
Lizzy wrote:^Yep, that ....
newie wrote:I have only just spotted this post. So sorry. I'll be thinking of him and hoping for the best. I saw this incident in the news and thought to myself, I hope it isn't someone I know. I was thinking that I didn't know anyone that rode out that way, but then realised that gretaboy commuted along there. Since then I have been keeping an eye out in other threads for his name, for reassurance it wasn't him. So disappointed to find out it was him. Thoughts with his family and friends..
nezumi wrote:Adding my voice to the chorus of "get well, gretaboy!"

find_bruce

Update 28 January 2014

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

gretaboy wrote:Just a short update on Gretaboy...he is currently in the spinal unit at RNS Hospital in bed 5 Ward 7E.There has been some improvement in his condition and yesterday was the first day since the accident that he was able to eat anything. Currently has no feeling in his right leg and right hand but we are still hopefully. Pls feel free to visit anytime btw 11am and 9pm, I'm sure he would welcome a friendly chat to break up the boredom and distract him from what he's going through.

find_bruce

Yet more well wishes

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm

TailWind wrote:Thanks Mrs Gretaboy for the update.
Please send him my best wishes when you see him!
Gero.
jasonc wrote:+1 thanks for the update
Rhubarb wrote:Wow - this is terrible news :-(

Please pass on our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Rhubarb wrote:So I've just read back a few pages and this sounds quite serious, so I'm guessing this won't be a speedy recovery but I certainly hope it becomes a full and complete recovery for you Gretaboy.

find_bruce

Update 29 January 2014

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm

I visited gretaboy in Royal North Shore yesterday & am torn as to what to say. It seems wrong to describe someone who has been hit by a car, suffered a fractured skull and vertebrae and has a spinal cord injury as “lucky”, but my overall impression was that he was in much better shape than I had feared. Yes we are lucky he is still with us and he is lucky in that his injuries could have been even more serious.

Perhaps my view was coloured by the fact that yesterday was a great day. Gretaboy was in good spirits and was able to move his right leg for the first time and the doctor is hopeful he will be able to walk again.

The fractured skull appears to be healing and he can move his right arm, but not his hand. He has feeling in the hand so the doctors think he should be able to regain some function. His left hand is a bit cut up with 3 fingers in splints, so while both hands out of action he is unable to feed himself etc.

Gretaboy has a long and slow recovery ahead of him and is expected to be in RNS for a couple of months and then a stay at a Rehabilitation Centre. Just how much function he will recover is uncertain for now.

He only started eating on Monday, but he is already complaining about the hospital food, which I think is an excellent sign. What really pleased gretaboy though was being able to pedal a stationary bike for 40 minutes yesterday. Sure he was a bit down on speed and cadence and only covered a bit over 3 km, but hey he was pedalling.

So if you are anywhere near St Leonards, I would encourage you to drop by and say hello. At the moment there doesn’t appear to be anything he needs, but I expect he would appreciate some fruit or other decent food if you are dropping by.

gorilla monsoon

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

What can I say? We have not met in person but through these forums formed a relationship so mate, do well, be strong and come back. Best to Gretaboy and family.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Horrible accident but positive news on the recovery, already back on a bike! Albeit a stationary one

TailWind

Re: Update 29 January 2014

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:33 pm

find_bruce wrote:I visited gretaboy in Royal North Shore yesterday & am torn as to what to say.
Thanks for starting this thread, bruce, good work collecting all the wishes, mentions and articles.

To gretaboy: Keep on plugging away at your recovery mate, we know how determined and stubborn you are :mrgreen:. You'll get there, no doubt!
Hopefully, once you heal up a bit, you'll be able to regale us with tales of your recovery progress in this thread!
Holding thumbs that you progress at an exponential rate!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Re: Update 29 January 2014

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

TailWind wrote:Holding thumbs that you progress at an exponential rate!
perfectly put

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Bruce, very kind of you to make the time to visit and report here.

Best wishes Gretaboy, your strength will see you through.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:21 pm

:shock:

All the best with the recovery gretaboy.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:29 pm

I work just up the road...and while we'd be total strangers if I passed you in the street, if I get a chance to come up, introduce myself, and hopefully take your mind off it a while...I will.

Best wishes!

Jim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Bruce - thanks for letting us know.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Terrible news.

Fingers crossed the recovery starts soon and you have top notch help by your side.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Gretaboy's already back up and spinning, even if it's on an ergo?

If I ever hear one bloke say "Rule 5" to Gretaboy there's gonna be trouble!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Gretaboy's already back up and spinning, even if it's on an ergo?

If I ever hear one bloke say "Rule 5" to Gretaboy there's gonna be trouble!
if anyone knows rule 5 it's him - 500km/week commuting last year rain hail or shine, headwinds and all

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Crap! ... no words for me either, but all too common.
Heal as fast and well as you can Gretaboy, sounds like you have a lovely wife looking after you!.
Thanks Bruce.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm shocked, best wishes to Gretaboy and his family.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm

wow.. so glad to hear that things are progressing for GB. mate, you are in our thoughts - stay strong and you are not alone. loving that you are already doing ergos - what a machine!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for starting the thread Bruce. Very thoughtful. :)

Gretaboy, very glad to hear you're picking so quickly. :D

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm

goodness me - very sorry to hear this Mr and Mrs Gretaboy.

But it sounds like you can't keep a good man down. Hang in there and best wishes from the whole gang here.