Pain in left knee while cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
BrendonC

Postby BrendonC » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:08 am

Hi all so the story goes i had a operation on my left knee about 5 to 6 years ago to fix my cartilage in my knee using titanium arrows to graft it back on, the cartilage itself tore in half. Ive started cycling mainly for fitness and racing and love everything about getting out on the bike, ive been doing this for the past 7 months about 2 weeks ago ive started feeling some pain in my knee. Its always on the top of the front of kneecap to the far right, i spend a bit of time on my knees during work being a mechanic and was wondering what could be causing these issues. I find i can still cycling through the pain and ive marked out my seat post and it hasnt moved at all.

Thanks
Brendon

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 am

Mate, I dunno what is causing your present pain, but I can tell you to get out of that business - it's really bad for your joints and you're highly likely to develop severe arthritis as you get older.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Nobody

Re: Pain in left knee while cycling

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 pm

You have a choice. You can get a professional bike fit, or you can teach yourself bike fit. Usually cheaper and quicker to get a professional bike fit, especially since you have a previous injury.

On top of that you may need to do some general stretching and/or roller work on your legs as things may be getting tight as the distance and/or intensity increases.

Also make sure you are keeping your cadence high.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 49&t=69299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm

+1 for a bike fit.

When I got my fit done, the fitter asked me if I experienced pain in my left knee. I said "yeah, how did you know? (as I hadn't mentioned it and it was periodic). Needless to say after the fitting I never experienced pain in that knee again.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi Brendon,
I used to get my wife to sew a large pocket internally into the legs of my overalls. I had high density rubber that slid into the pockets.Old idea but it worked well many years prior to the ubiquitous knee pads of today.

I reckon if you are getting constant or regular pain you may have to reconsider your bike fit, or maybe your saddle position. Of course it could be just your knee complaining.
But I know nothing exept what I do to releove my own symptoms... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

BrendonC

Postby BrendonC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks all guys ive put a wedge in my left cycling shoe and still a small pain involved, i got my bike fit at the LBS when i bought it im not to sure on the fitment aka credentials of said person. Will look around my area or close by for a proper fitment. Will keep that idea in mind outonabike ive recently used a old rear seat and cut it up at work to makeshift some knee pads works wonders.