BNA Losers Club 2014

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
CKinnard

Re: BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby CKinnard » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:47 pm

broke through a barrier this morning. was under 86kg.
had a good day with the food intake, no more than 1000 Cals so far, so some room for dessert and a cuppa.
no cycling or fast walking, but was on my feet all day at work.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:31 pm

CKinnard wrote:broke through a barrier this morning. was under 86kg.
w00t! You are doing well... :D
<removed by request>

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:26 pm

A question for those cutting back on the Cals... What have you done/been doing when you can feel the energy stocks dropping, and potential flu starting to kick in? Kept on the low cal, or upped it a bit for an energy kick?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Carrots wrote:A question for those cutting back on the Cals... What have you done/been doing when you can feel the energy stocks dropping, and potential flu starting to kick in? Kept on the low cal, or upped it a bit for an energy kick?
I cut further. I was basically eating oranges and not too much else. In my case, I wasn't very hungry.
<removed by request>

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Just coming out of bronchitis - I didn't have any appetite for about 5 days so calorie intake wasn't a concern. It was harder to eat something so I could take my tablets. When I started recovering though, I ate what I fancied for a few days. This resulted in a hack across 3 lanes of a highway (no cars) to get a chicken treat chicken roll...with bacon and cheese. It was good and just what I needed at that time.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 am

Carrots wrote:A question for those cutting back on the Cals... What have you done/been doing when you can feel the energy stocks dropping, and potential flu starting to kick in? Kept on the low cal, or upped it a bit for an energy kick?
Firstly if trying to lose weight, I find it helps not to ride as much as usual, or as hard. Why? this makes you consume more glucose and glycogen, which can increase cravings. It can also leave you dehydrated which effects fat availability too, and can cause cravings for carbs.

My golden rules to avoid bonking
- stay hydrated. I take half a litre water before main meals and a cup before snacks, before exercise considerations.
- get enough sleep. get a nap in the afternoon if possible.
- don't skip meals
- have an adequate breakfast, large lunch, and smaller dinner
- eat heaps and heaps of vegetables and salad, and at least a couple of pieces of fruit each day. Not doing so means you will be eating food with more Calories an less nutrients. Try and get some in with breakfast too (tomato, spinach, mushrooms with your bacon and eggs!)
- be 100% confident you are getting enough energy to avoid health issues. This means counting Calories until you are sure you are not creating a Calorie deficit any greater than 1000Cals/day.

the above will also help you to avoid getting the flu, though you could add
- regular gargling
- don't touch your face regularly
- wash your hands regularly when around people with bugs
- don't smash yourself with exercise when bugs are around
- after a hard ride, stay away from others for a few hours and air conditioned buildings with lots of people.

piston9

Postby piston9 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Coming late to this party..... recently upped my cycling and am commuting 2-3 days a week (going for 4 this week) on the bike. 35k's each way, so took a long time to work up to even doing that distance.... This will be the first week I do back to back 'both way' commutes, usually drive in, ride home, ride back, drive home....

Anyhow, started at 123KG's 3 months ago (was 128 12 months ago..), am now 115 and dropping about 1 per week, or there abouts. Only adjustments are cycling more than an hour per ride (rather than 30 minutes - my commute is 1:15 with a tailwind right now...), and reduce some food intake, but not all...

I'm already probably lighter than anytime in the last 5 years, if I break 100 I'll be lighter than anytime in the last 15... Goal is maybe 95 (im 188cm, large build... Even light I take up more than an airline seat from shoulder width!)

Glad to see others making progress as well... :D
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm somewhat encouraged to hear about your progress piston9, and will be eager to follow it since I feel I'm in the same boat atm, although I've seen very little progress in the last few weeks myself.

I decided to start - after vowing never to bother - counting calories (via MyFitnessPal on Android), and if nothing else it highlights what foods to steer clear of and what can be eaten with little dent in the daily intake. I'm starting to learn that my generally good week-days are all-but-obliterated by my once-a-week takeout and Fri/Sat/Sun night dessert and drinks. Hard when the wife is pregnant! :wink: Hence the plateau thus far...

Not expecting a great result this week due to the horrid weather in Sydney - doubt I'll get a single ride in - so I'm trying to be even more strict with the intake.

A bit disappointed that MyFitnessPal, whilst recording weight sessions, doesn't appear to factor them into the daily calorie equation! :o
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm

tcdev - have you got a garmin watch or similar to use when doing weights with the HRM? Or you could even use a bike computer with HRM to count the cals...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

piston9 wrote:Coming late to this party..... recently upped my cycling and am commuting 2-3 days a week (going for 4 this week) on the bike. 35k's each way, so took a long time to work up to even doing that distance.... This will be the first week I do back to back 'both way' commutes, usually drive in, ride home, ride back, drive home....
big commute piston. to mix it up a bit, have you considered riding half way, and training it in from there? then same in the afternoon?
2x20km rides might be an easier way to burn the same Calories.

piston9

Postby piston9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks for the encouragement :D

My work is in the middle of nowhere - as is my home... So public transport right not not an option! But the one way per day is at least achievable most days (35ks' in the day).... 114.3 this morning, still getting somewhere. But I have ridden 3 times this week already (about to do a 4th) and I am stuffed.... Back to one way a day for a little longer!
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Carrots wrote:tcdev - have you got a garmin watch or similar to use when doing weights with the HRM? Or you could even use a bike computer with HRM to count the cals...
No, nothing like that unfortunately. :cry:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 pm

tcdev wrote:
Carrots wrote:tcdev - have you got a garmin watch or similar to use when doing weights with the HRM? Or you could even use a bike computer with HRM to count the cals...
No, nothing like that unfortunately. :cry:
I would not trust the bike computer calorie counts.
<removed by request>

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 am

Friday weigh in - another 1kg off this week. am now 84.9, down from 93.7 for 8.8kg off in 10 weeks.

and this week's inspirational wt loss thought is - "Every Calorie you put in your mouth matters!"

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 am

casual_cyclist wrote:I would not trust the bike computer calorie counts.
Mean Garmin wise etc, which is still not 100% accurate but about 100 times better than any typical gym equipment.

CKinnard wrote: "Every Calorie you put in your mouth matters!"

Damn straight! Something I've mad a fairly conscious effort on in the past month and it's paying dividends.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Carrots wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I would not trust the bike computer calorie counts.
Mean Garmin wise etc, which is still not 100% accurate but about 100 times better than any typical gym equipment.
It's more or less accurate depending on how you configure your device. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how- ... armin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can give you 2 real world examples from my FR60:

Session 1: spin class, 36 minutes, av HR 155, max HR 180, calories 105.

Session 2: running intervals, 29 mintues, av HR 152, max HR 175, calories 390.

Looking at my heart rate profile for both activities, I was definitely working harder for the spin class. That's why garmin calorie counts can byte me. I ignore them completely.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Oh, and I forgot to weigh in this morning. I don't think this arvo will be the same, so I will try to remember tomorrow morning.
<removed by request>

piston9

Postby piston9 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 pm

CKinnard wrote:Friday weigh in - another 1kg off this week.
That's great work by any standard :D

piston9

Postby piston9 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:18 am

Monday morning checkin.

113.7 this morning. I don't even know the last time I was 113. Actually, apart from the last 3 months, I think it's been 10 years since I've been under 120, so.... Technically lost about 1KG last week, 3KG over 2 weeks.

Yes, it can be done....

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 am

Nice work Piston.

Had a quick weigh in this AM after barely any exercise in the past week due to man flu (one short ride yesterday to see how I was feeling).

Down to 131.3. Early to mid July I was around the 139 mark. Only down a little last week, which is all calorie counting based - even with one bad ish day in there - needed some comfort food to make myself feel good to get over the manflu! lol. Would like to see myself back down into the 129s next week.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Despite gloomy predictions for last week, I managed to get out for my requisite 3 rides and the scales have been kind to me as well. It'll be a stretch to make my monthly goal in 6 days, but I should be close. Calorie counting and regular exercise seems to be finally kicking in, after a lack-luster start. Good to see the progress others are making, though I'm a little jealous too! ;)

Speaking of 'bad ish' days, I'm a firm believer that you need one day (one meal?) per week where you loosen the strings a little - as long as you don't undo the entire week's work of course! I'm not going to pretend that I can live out my days without ever eating a burger and some fries, and/or dessert one night a week. IMHO a diet of total abstinence is the reason why so many people fail. Yes, it's slower going and you perhaps need to work that little bit harder at times to see results, but it's also more maintainable in the long run, I think. Time will tell...
2021 Giant Contend AR1

piston9

Postby piston9 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm

tcdev wrote:Speaking of 'bad ish' days, I'm a firm believer that you need one day (one meal?) per week where you loosen the strings a little - as long as you don't undo the entire week's work of course! I'm not going to pretend that I can live out my days without ever eating a burger and some fries, and/or dessert one night a week. IMHO a diet of total abstinence is the reason why so many people fail. Yes, it's slower going and you perhaps need to work that little bit harder at times to see results, but it's also more maintainable in the long run, I think. Time will tell...
Amen :D

Yes, I could double my weight loss if I cut *everything*, but I would also double my grumpy..... I'm sure I am not the only one who needs to smash some junk food on occasion for sanity!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Good work piston. It's great to be cutting back to 10 years earlier! Seems like you are changing your appetite and cravings habitually to healthier choices.
Carrots, 9kg off in 5 weeks is a superior result. Don't worry about breaking out from time to time. The longer you stay at it, the less likely that will be, and even when you do, you won't go to the same extreme. I still get tempted by all sorts of stuff but it is easier to resist. I had chocolate yesterday, but no more than 10 grams, and I was fine with that. Didn't feel a need to demolish a whole family block.
tcdev, yep agree that loosening the strings is cool, as long as you are aware of the Calorie penalty. When wandering through the supermarket feeling hungry, I can be tempted to pick up some junk....but just think of the Calories in terms of hours in the saddle, and that helps me let it go.

I had a sleep in this morning, and woke up in the 83kg range. I haven't been under 82 in 20 years, so really looking forward to that.
I still feel like I could lose another 7 kg fat easily, so will be interesting to see where I end up. I'm 186cm and aiming for 77kg, or an 84cm waist, which is what I had until around 30.
What's amazing me, the more I lose the more comfortable and longer I can go without getting hungry. Obviously my insulin sensitivity is improving.

I am still doing smoothies mostly in the mornings (fruit, seeds 1liter water), salad wraps/pita bread for lunch, vege soup at night with either legumes or meat...and fruit or soy flat white coffees for snacks.
Stuff I've cut back on drastically - alcohol, starch...and cut back from occasional binges - crisps, lollies, chocolote, bakery stuff, fried fish and chips, store bought pizza.

I am comfortably managing 150-200km a week in the saddle, but anymore than this and I definitely want to break out more. My 5,10,20 minute intervals are still improving, though definitely the 20 more than the 5.
No grumps here, though I am feeling a little weaker or tired than if I wasn't dieting.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 pm

94 kg again for me for fatty Friday. Which is interesting because I have basically 'lost' a whole belt loop.

To give you some idea, I have been trying to teach myself to run. I started on 30th of June with a simple workout of run 1 minute, walk 90 seconds, repeat four times. So only 4 minutes of running at it was a bit of a struggle :x

Then last Thursday, I smashed out this workout:

Warm up: 3 repeats of 30 sec jog, 30 sec butt kick drills, 30 sec walk.

Workout: 6 repeats of 30 sec jog, 30 sec easy run, 30 sec run, 30 sec sprint, 30 sec jog, 90 sec walk.

That a total running time of 15 mins and the whole workout covered 4.27 km.

Sure I found it challenging but it's a whole world away from barely being able to run 4 mins. And yet I am the exact same weight on the scales. I know which measure I would rather use :wink:
<removed by request>

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Sure I found it challenging but it's a whole world away from barely being able to run 4 mins. And yet I am the exact same weight on the scales. I know which measure I would rather use :wink:
I've always been of the opinion that the mirror is more accurate than the scales!

I'm using the scales as a measure of progress, or motivation, rather than anything else. Although I've stated that I'd like to be 100kg by NYE, I chose that number only because it equates to a loss of 15kg and I know I need to lose more than that. Ultimately, I have absolutely no idea what my ideal weight should be, and I'll be using the mirror rather than the scales to determine whether or not I've reached that goal.
2021 Giant Contend AR1