BNA Losers Club 2014

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
CKinnard

Re: BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby CKinnard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Fri weigh in : 84.3kg
only 0.6 down over the last week.
I had a bit of stress at work on Wed and gave in to some weak cravings on the way home. I always regret satisfying the short term pleasure at the expense of my longer term gains and health.
I've also had a sore throat for over a week, and have cut back on riding. Lots of bugs around Brisbane recently.

Anyway, back on track. I'm eating real healthy....no dairy, no added oils, maybe 1-2 eggs a month, no more than 300g of meat a week, lots of vege, lots of fruit, seeds, legumes, and some grains.

Still riding strong considering 10-20% of the weight loss will be lean tissue.
I don't sweat it, having the occasional plateau. It probably helps dampen the body's sense of stress from being on a Calorie deficit long term.

Anyway, really looking forward to busting through 80kg now. I am in need of new clothes, and will hold off buying until then.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Well I achieved 95kg before heading off to the UK back in April 2014. I came back at 105kg, Ale and comfort food and 4 weeks of eating out took its toll. I have hovered around the 101-99 for a while nothing changed. upping exercise didn't really do much. I seem to find when dieting my exercise suffers, so I am dieting first then getting back to fitness (cardio) I am push-up, sit up and squat training while dieting. Being strict now not even empty calories, I miss empty calories. I am now down from 101kg to 97kg and BF down from 27.6% to 25.9%. (11 days) I know my bathroom scales are not accurate with BF.. So I have decided to book myself in for a BODPOD $50 to find out what is my real status, Body Fat, Lean muscle test etc. They also offer a $90 REE test (Resting Energy Expenditure).
I am pretty much set on having the BODPOD test. Is the REE test worth it, what real life information will I get from it?

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:08 pm

August weigh-in:

1st Jul - 114.5kg
1st Aug - 112.8 kg
1st Sept - 111.2 kg

So, slow but steady. Managed to record 110.8 during the month but then a week off the bike followed by a careless weekend arrested that progress. A reminder how easy it is to take a backward step, and how hard it is to make up for it!

I started counting calories this month but find it difficult to make accurate estimates when I'm not the one preparing the food. If nothing else, it does make me think twice about what I put in my mouth. Haven't really had many issues with discipline until it comes to the weekend nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) - traditionally dessert nights - at our place. Trying to curb the intake but probably need to skip a night to make better progress from my track record.

On a different health-related issue; noticed my knees getting sorer and sorer each ride, to the point where I was having difficulty walking after my last ride. I long suspected I wasn't getting enough leg extension and a quick search of this forum suggested soreness at the front of the knees was symptomatic of a seat set too low. On Saturday I took a short ride to the LBS and they raised my seat a few cm. Took about 2 mins to get used to it, and after this morning's 32km ride I must say that it appears to have done the trick! Thanks to rodneycc for the tip!

I guess I'll take last month's goal - 110kg - and, having fallen short, make it this month's goal. :oops:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

90.9 this morning, however I did manage to get up early enough for a power walk before work. This is a huge achievement for me as I haven't been able to drag myself out of bed early for months.

Expect to see the numbers coming down over the next few weeks, especially since my GP has asked me to lose 2kg before my next visit in 8 weeks (should be a piece of cake).

Go me.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 am

~2 weeks ago, barefoot wrote:My check-in: I didn't weigh last night, but the previous two nights were 83kg.

I've dropped 4kg in 2 weeks.

Eeek.

I don't expect this momentum to continue. I realise it's not all fat.
2 weeks later... sitting comfortably on 82.5kg.

It's been a bit up and down since last check in. As expected, the 83kg didn't stick, and drifted back up a bit. A long weekend eating out in the Yarra Valley did some damage :oops:, but again, a short term thing.

Pretty happy with how things are going. I'm certainly not going without junk food... just moderating it a bit. I'm actually finding that if I'm "good", and simply don't eat junk at all, I come in way below my energy target. Of course, it helps that I only eat 2 meals a day, so I get to add what most people would eat for breakfast on to my lunch and dinner allocations. On days when I'm well under target, I've been hitting the fruit bowl after dinner to get somewhere close to where I should be... or sometimes the beer fridge, because I can.

I'm not sure whether it's a better strategy to maintain a steady daily energy deficit, or whether it's better to be a bit more ad-lib, and alternate between some big deficits and some blow-outs. Probably easier to regulate if I try to keep things steady... and it does mean I get "reward" days when I find myself with a heap of energy allowance left at the end of the day. Woohoo, what can I eat to make up numbers?

79.9 by Christmas is looking achievable.

tim

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

tcdev wrote:I started counting calories this month but find it difficult to make accurate estimates when I'm not the one preparing the food. If nothing else, it does make me think twice about what I put in my mouth. Haven't really had many issues with discipline until it comes to the weekend nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) - traditionally dessert nights - at our place. Trying to curb the intake but probably need to skip a night to make better progress from my track record.
Are you using MyFitnessPal (or similar) to help count calories?

I'm finding MFP really good as a rough estimation tool, in cases when I'm not preparing the food. It doesn't have to be accurate.

If I'm eating something that I really don't know what's gone in to it, I do a search by how I would describe the meal. Usually comes back with a few home-made and a few pre-packaged freezer meals that come close. I don't have a clue what's in them, but a quick skim over the energy numbers usually shows that they're within the same ballpark, so I figure that what I just ate must also be somewhere in the same ballpark. Pick any of them, adjust quantity based on a guestimate (big helping? Call it 1.6x freezer-meal serves? Near enough), and lock it in.

That said, it's definitely easier when eating pre-packaged foods or basic fruit & veg. I consider that to be a bit of an incentive to eat more basic fruit & veg, because it's easier to log in MFP :lol:

tim

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

A mate of mine has ordered in a local food provider similar to Lite n Easy. His packages make up around 1500 Cals a day, and he is losing the weight like never before. He now realizes how predictable weight loss is once a known Calorie intake is sustained. He is carefully monitoring the portion sizes so that he can mimic them with home prepared stuff after a few months.

It does take some commitment and hassle to Calorie count, but the results justify it. And you don't have to do it forever.
Most households have no more than 20 different meals over 10 years. Once you know the Calorie content per cup/bowl/plate, it is not a hassle to keep track. The task is all the easier if using mainly unprocessed ingredients. You can use averages for different food groups if you eat a broad enough range of each group over a month. i.e. salad and vegetables can be counted as 25 Calories/cup, all cooked grains as 200 Calories/cup, all raw animal flesh as 1.2Cals/gram. Sure some of each group are over, and some under, but when losing weight, it comes down to average energy densities over time.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Most households have no more than 20 different meals over 10 years?! Really?! I'd have 20 different dinners in about 3 months. Last week's butcher trip had me eating pork meatballs, venison steak, emu rump, and camel sausages. I'm not even gonna say what I've got this week!!

Anyway, people who eat such a small range really need to discover the joy of cooking. My 70 something parents have more range than this.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:32 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Most households have no more than 20 different meals over 10 years?! Really?! I'd have 20 different dinners in about 3 months.
I have absolutely no doubt that you're telling the truth, but for us I would not be surprised if that is indeed the case. In fact, we often agonise over dinner because we're both sick of the 'normal' meals. In the past my wife made it a point to cook a new dish every Sunday night, but since the birth of our daughter over 2 years ago she just doesn't have the energy to make the effort. We mix up fish, chicken and red meat, and try to have one vegetarian meal per week, but in reality it's the same staples week after week. I guess if we really want something different, we go out to eat!
Last edited by tcdev on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 pm

For the sake of counting Calories, meatballs and sausages are essentially the same ingredients in the same portions; venison and emu are unprocessed animal skeletal muscle.

to see how the other half lives, you might have a look through a few cookbooks designed for dual income families on a budget. I'd imagine most baby boomers would also have had a copy of the women's weekly or CWA cookbook.

Indian and Asian migrants I know would be hard pressed to have 20 different meals. They'll do stir fry and curries with different herbs and spices, but similar main ingredients.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 pm

barefoot wrote:Are you using MyFitnessPal (or similar) to help count calories?
That's exactly what I use, yes.

My wife prepares the meals and although she might have some idea of the amount of meat in the dish, everything else is portioned ad-hoc based on intuition and past experience. So I would have no idea how many cups of rice I'm eating, or other ingredients besides the meat. So like you, I find something similar in MFP, estimate my portion size (which is usually between 1 & 2) and be done with it. Another dilemma is stuff like thick-slice multigrain from the local bakery - no idea where that comes on the rather wide range of calories in the MFP bread database. :?:

I've had a few unexpected gains when I thought I was sweet but the overall trend of weight loss/gain appears to follow what I'm entering into MFP.

I know the general consensus here is that food is 90% of the equation, but I've found that my exercise (riding) has a big impact on my results. Not sure whether that's because I'm relatively new to riding, and my body is adjusting, or whether my metabolism just reacts dramatically to exercise? I know the rules are completely different when you're pushing 50, but all throughout my 20's and early 30's I was doing intense exercise and could eat pretty much as much as I wanted of anything I wanted without any ill effect. Different story now of course; my point is that my riding days generally make a big difference. I just hope that continues to be the case for the next 15kg! :wink:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:11 pm

tcdev wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Most households have no more than 20 different meals over 10 years?! Really?! I'd have 20 different dinners in about 3 months.
I have absolutely no doubt that you're telling the truth, but for us I would not be surprised if that is indeed the case. In fact, we often agonise over dinner because we're both sick of the 'normal' meals. In the past my wife made it a point to cook a new dish every Sunday night, but since the birth of our daughter over 2 years ago she just doesn't have the energy to make the effort. We mix up fish, chicken and red meat, and try to have one vegetarian meal per week, but in reality it's the same staples week after week. I guess if we really want something different, we go out to eat!
Maybe you could have the energy to cook a different meal each week? Doesn't have to be dinner, it can be breakfast or a nice sandwhich at lunch time.

In my house its mostly me who does the cooking, I get home first, my biggest annoyance is that he will ask me what I want for dinner or he won't just say on a saturday, "oh honey I'll cook dinner tonight." He waits to be pressed and I don't love that. Just do it. That being said, last weekend when I had a heap of study to do he really pulled his socks up and did the house work without waiting for me to say it. So. Fine. Thankful for small mercies.

Also a new meal doesn't have to be difficult, it can be pancakes with a new flavour or a new toping, although I suppose in this thread that pancakes aren't for you... how about toast with mushed avo and a soft boiled egg on top? I believe that this is both a breakfast, lunch and dinner meal. One of those chooks already cooked from the supermarket make a great toasted sandwhich, or the meat is awesome for a soup or a pie, or a casserole.

I like to have eggs and soldiers after a long ride, acuse I've got my Mr Men Egg Cups and they match my coffee mug.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Maybe we need to resurrect the Healthy Recipe thread to give people some ideas :)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm

A handy hack for the calorie counters!

I went in to donate blood plasma today.

I noticed a sign in the waiting area that I haven't seen before: each plasma donation removes 460 Cal of blood sugar, which you get to have to eat to catch up again!

W00h00!

Not only do I get a bonus ~3000 kJ from my bunch ride this morning and another bonus ~1300 kJ from my commute, I also get to eat an additional bonus 2500 kJ to catch up on what the vampires took away! That's a whole extra day's worth of food I'm allowed to scoff today!

tim
who thinks he might be doing this calorie counting thing a bit wrong... :oops:
*edit* - but, right or wrong, it's working. Down to 81.5kg last night. Didn't have as much to drink during the day as normal, which will account for a bit, but it hasn't been taking long for transient record lows to become the sustainable baseline for new record lows. 79.9kg... here we come!

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Parker wrote:Maybe you could have the energy to cook a different meal each week? Doesn't have to be dinner, it can be breakfast or a nice sandwhich at lunch time.
Heh, I guess it does sound like I've got the little woman chained to the kitchen sink... believe me, the cooking arrangement is by mutual agreement. My culinary skills start to get stretched with anything more involved than 2 minute noodles, and she's an awesome cook (as my 111kg can attest). You may be thinking that, regardless, she might like a break from the cooking now and then... but it's joint effort for the most part anyway. I do most of the preparation - she won't touch raw meat, for example - and I do the clean up. It's worked this way for the 11+ years we've lived together, and she hasn't complained about it. I think she'd rather keep this arrangement than have to eat my cooking! :wink:

I do also make her the occasional sandwich or salad - which I don't count as 'cooking' - as you suggest. I've learned how to make her tea and coffee, neither of which I drink. I also do a mean milk/thick-shake, so that's also one of my jobs in the kitchen. So she hasn't got it that bad... :D
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:54 am

If you've learnt how to make her tea and coffee surely you can learn to cook something beyond noodles?

And yes, it is always a joint effort, for example, I don't do dishes, partner does dishes :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:15 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Maybe we need to resurrect the Healthy Recipe thread to give people some ideas :)
I like this idea and possibly make it a Sticky! :idea:

Well I've held 104kg even though I've only had two rides in the last three or four weeks ( :? ) but I want to know some good ideas for keeping hunger pains away? It is getting to the point of me looking at getting some tablets to stop them. :( I have tried low GI stuff but I could eat a horse within two hours! :twisted:

Stuff that should work one way for people, works the opposite for me, :roll: think sleeping tablets (hype me up) a hamburger and chips lasts for six to seven hours. ( :shock:) So tell me why I'm different? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:46 pm

foo on patrol wrote:So tell me why I'm different? :?

Foo
you are a sensitive intuitive, not a dullard sensate.
sensory overload will mess with your endocrine function.
seek a more peaceful way, and your appetite will be reined in.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:07 pm

You swearing at me CKinnard? :lol: I will need to look up these words to see what they mean. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:31 am

foo on patrol wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Maybe we need to resurrect the Healthy Recipe thread to give people some ideas :)

Well I've held 104kg even though I've only had two rides in the last three or four weeks ( :? ) but I want to know some good ideas for keeping hunger pains away? It is getting to the point of me looking at getting some tablets to stop them. :( I have tried low GI stuff but I could eat a horse within two hours! :twisted:

Stuff that should work one way for people, works the opposite for me, :roll: think sleeping tablets (hype me up) a hamburger and chips lasts for six to seven hours. ( :shock:) So tell me why I'm different? :?

Foo

How tall are are you Foo?
For what it's worth I'm the same as you, I could eat low GI food till the cows come home and still fit in a buffet at lunch and then again at dinner yet I can still move my weight up (96kg) and down (63kg) with ease when ever I want and at just under 170cm I'm hardly someone with a big frame or fast metabolism.
So If you were fairdinkum trying to loose weight and we both posted a weeks diet I'm pretty sure yours would look nothing like mine.
All I focus on when dropping weight is bulk!
Eat 2.2 pounds pounds of steamed mashed or blended pumpkin soup (300cal)
then if your still hungry strait after eat another 2.2 lbs that's still only 600cal for ~4.5lbs of food and I dare you to try and eat a buffet or a horse in the next 2hrs, you might think you can (I usually think I can) but once you start tucking into it you'll realise there is simply no room, I usually opt for some fruit like 3 large pairs or 3-4 large oranges (400 -500cal) whole pealed with just the rind removed and leave a little of the pith on for extra bulk,
as the day goes on it's harder and harder to fit more food in no matter how hungry you think you are or how hard you force youself to eat more food you simply don't have the room,
On the other hand replace the fruit with full fat greek yogurt (low GI) and I could eat 2.2lbs of that (1000+cal) and once again be hungry in 2 hours!
I simply don't bother with any dairy or juices when dropping kgs it just does nothing, bottom line... bulky high fibre fruits & veg and maybee porridge and fruit at breakfast, ~25g of protein (usually fish) immediately after hard training and my diet takes care of the rest my daily protien requirements, it's always well above 1.5g/kg of body weight.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:00 am

CKinnard wrote: seek a more peaceful way, and your appetite will be reined in.
That would make an awesome fortune cookie :-)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:57 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You swearing at me CKinnard? :lol: I will need to look up these words to see what they mean. :oops:

Foo
hmmm...must have been the wine. :)
I didn't have a very 'peaceful' afternoon at work, which unleashed my appetite for all things energy dense and nutrient poor. :(

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

How tall are are you Foo?
For what it's worth I'm the same as you, I could eat low GI food till the cows come home and still fit in a buffet at lunch and then again at dinner yet I can still move my weight up (96kg) and down (63kg) with ease when ever I want and at just under 170cm I'm hardly someone with a big frame or fast metabolism.
So If you were fairdinkum trying to loose weight and we both posted a weeks diet I'm pretty sure yours would look nothing like mine.
All I focus on when dropping weight is bulk!
Eat 2.2 pounds pounds of steamed mashed or blended pumpkin soup (300cal)
then if your still hungry strait after eat another 2.2 lbs that's still only 600cal for ~4.5lbs of food and I dare you to try and eat a buffet or a horse in the next 2hrs, you might think you can (I usually think I can) but once you start tucking into it you'll realise there is simply no room, I usually opt for some fruit like 3 large pairs or 3-4 large oranges (400 -500cal) whole pealed with just the rind removed and leave a little of the pith on for extra bulk,
as the day goes on it's harder and harder to fit more food in no matter how hungry you think you are or how hard you force youself to eat more food you simply don't have the room,
On the other hand replace the fruit with full fat greek yogurt (low GI) and I could eat 2.2lbs of that (1000+cal) and once again be hungry in 2 hours!
I simply don't bother with any dairy or juices when dropping kgs it just does nothing, bottom line... bulky high fibre fruits & veg and maybee porridge and fruit at breakfast, ~25g of protein (usually fish) immediately after hard training and my diet takes care of the rest my daily protien requirements, it's always well above 1.5g/kg of body weight.
I'm 180cm and spend all week in the truck away from home, so the soup is out. I am also dropping the weight slowly, so that body will adjust very easily to the lost and not want to throw it back on if I can't ride for couple of weeks. I have 4kg more to drop by the end of the year and then 10kg again next year, with 5kg the following and by this stage I will be racing again to get race fitness and then the journey will be serious to gain State Titles in my age group. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 am

Finally things are moving in the right direction, 90.9 last Monday, 90.3 this morning.

Slow and steady eh...

Shelby35

Postby Shelby35 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Just started riding in the last couple of weeks first time on a road bike in over 20 years. Just had a hip replacement at 42. Currently weigh 93kg hope to get to 79kg.