BNA Losers Club 2014

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
singlespeedscott

Re: BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:44 am

School holidays are what are slowing mine up.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 am

singlespeedscott wrote:It might be hard as I don't really drink alcohol or fizzy drinks. I eat reasonable healthy, little red meat and a lot of vegetarian, my wife is a vego. The only way I can see myself pulling this off is to really cut back on the refined sugar (which is not really that huge these days) and stop eating the families left overs at tea time :lol: . Oh and hopefully up the milage to 250km a week.
M2CW Scott are for most, increasing exercise beyond 4-5 hours a week often leads to a concomitant increase in appetite. When you decrease exercise eventually, your appetite can stay higher than it otherwise would have (due to stretched and desensitized stomach etc), and weight is regained.

Plant based eating is not a sure way to control or lose weight despite what its proponents teach. I work with several doctors on a plant based weight loss program that has put through around 200 obese people in the last 2 years. Short and long term weight loss outcomes are not strong. Personally, my belief is most attendees would lose more weight by dealing better with their stressors so they could get through life in a more emotionally calm and happy manner.

Anecdotally, my most successful weight loss was when I went on a meditation retreat. My mind and emotions calmed right down, and appetite and cravings followed. I've done 700k a week multiple times and not lost weight.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 pm

Nobody wrote:
flashpixx wrote:..at 55 my vitals are good according to my GP, except for my weight. He thinks for my height I should be 70kg.

Did the GP actually tell you what the vitals were? My old GP once told me not to worry about a total cholesterol of 6.5, saying that it was the previous limit. The danger with that advice was that even the current limit of 5.0 has been proven to be too high for those people susceptible to heart disease, according to Dr Esselstyn from the research and patient studies he has done. He considers lower than 3.88 mmol/L (150 mg/dL) to be safe.
Cholesterol is 4.3 in total with more "good" that bad.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm

CKinnard wrote:M2CW Scott are for most, increasing exercise beyond 4-5 hours a week often leads to a concomitant increase in appetite. When you decrease exercise eventually, your appetite can stay higher than it otherwise would have (due to stretched and desensitized stomach etc), and weight is regained.
Which makes this whole thread seem pointless, since that is how many (most?) are losing the weight.
CKinnard wrote:Plant based eating is not a sure way to control or lose weight despite what its proponents teach. I work with several doctors on a plant based weight loss program that has put through around 200 obese people in the last 2 years. Short and long term weight loss outcomes are not strong.
Were there specifics to this diet, or were they just told not eat animal products?
How sure are you of the compliance of the people involved in the diet change?

Summary of many studies below shows vegans to have a lower BMI than the general population.
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dxmarkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thousands of vegans studied below.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/thousan ... s-studied/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:58 pm

nobody, amongst the literature you are citing, show me one that uses age matched controls.

regarding compliance for the program I am involved with, attendance was on a voluntary basis using controls common to dietary intervention studies - but in this instance, attendees paid over $500 to participate and were expected to show for weekly meetings for 12 weeks. Further, most were the patients of 2 reputable GPs in this field....so you'd expect higher than normal compliance.

regarding those contributing to the thread, and losing weight, on what grounds do you argue most lose weight via primarily increasing exercise level above 5hrs/wk, rather than dietary intervention.

you are arguing against yourself nobody. the 2nd paper you offer supports my experience that exercising less leads to lower BMI. go figure.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:03 pm

End of year check in time!

Last year, started about 87kg, aimed for 80kg,made it to 82kg. Reasonably happy that I'd made progress.

This year, blew back out to 86kg at the end of July. Got upset by that. Aimed for 80kg again.

Just had my final weigh-in for the year at 76.4kg.

You'd better bloody believe I'm happy with that. As near as dammit to 10kg off, in 5 months.

Could still do with dropping a few more kegs (I'm 178cm, and can always do with a better power:weight), so will get back to counting kilojoules after the silly season ends, but I reckon I've pretty much made it.

I'm throwing out all the size 92 pants that had been getting tight, skipping the 87s that have been my default since high school (>20 years ago), and now fitting comfortably into 82s. My BMI is in the "healthy" range for the first time in... ever.

Hi-5 myself.

tim

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:29 pm

CKinnard wrote:nobody, amongst the literature you are citing, show me one that uses age matched controls.
I don't think they list any.
CKinnard wrote:regarding compliance for the program I am involved with, attendance was on a voluntary basis using controls common to dietary intervention studies - but in this instance, attendees paid over $500 to participate and were expected to show for weekly meetings for 12 weeks. Further, most were the patients of 2 reputable GPs in this field....so you'd expect higher than normal compliance.
Thanks for the reply. Fair enough. If I didn't ask, we wouldn't now know. :)
CKinnard wrote:regarding those contributing to the thread, and losing weight, on what grounds do you argue most lose weight via primarily increasing exercise level above 5hrs/wk, rather than dietary intervention.
On the grounds that most will state how many Kms they are doing like they believe it is an important element. Many do talk about dietary changes, but they are usually fairly minor in nature. I'm not going to correlate data, it's just the impression I get. In the end it was just commentary, not intended to be criticism, but I see how I've come across, so sorry about that. :oops:
CKinnard wrote:you are arguing against yourself nobody. the 2nd paper you offer supports my experience that exercising less leads to lower BMI. go figure.
Probably. If I'm arguing at all. I'm not doubting that in your experience "Short and long term weight loss outcomes are not strong." Fair enough. However, I thought I would post those links to show others that might not know what to think, that on average, over a large population, a plant based diet appears to work for many. Maybe most of them are at younger adults to middle age. I'm not going to investigate the breakup.

I'm not trying to be your enemy. Maybe I should put more smileys in my posts. :)

Anyway, tomorrow is another year with likely a new thread.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

BNA Losers Club 2014

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

barefoot wrote:End of year check in time!

Last year, started about 87kg, aimed for 80kg,made it to 82kg. Reasonably happy that I'd made progress.

This year, blew back out to 86kg at the end of July. Got upset by that. Aimed for 80kg again.

Just had my final weigh-in for the year at 76.4kg.

You'd better bloody believe I'm happy with that. As near as dammit to 10kg off, in 5 months.

Could still do with dropping a few more kegs (I'm 178cm, and can always do with a better power:weight), so will get back to counting kilojoules after the silly season ends, but I reckon I've pretty much made it.

I'm throwing out all the size 92 pants that had been getting tight, skipping the 87s that have been my default since high school (>20 years ago), and now fitting comfortably into 82s. My BMI is in the "healthy" range for the first time in... ever.

Hi-5 myself.

tim
Nicely done. I'm the same height as you the best I got down to this year was 74kg. However 2 months ago I buggered my back and with the Christmas school holidays my milage went out the window. That and the usual festive eaten have seen me at 79kg as of this morning :(

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:19 pm

Conrats to everyone on their effort this year. I wanted to drop 10kg but only did 7kgs. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 pm

7 is good Foo!! Don't sell yourself short. We all set stretch targets...I'm just going to keep the same goal for next year. I will do it. I should have posted my final figures when I was released from hospital...3 days of fasting in hope for a free operating theatre helped me lose 1.5kg but I didn't think that was fair ;)

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:50 pm

barefoot wrote:Just had my final weigh-in for the year at 76.4kg.
Congratulations, that's great work!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Nobody wrote:
CKinnard wrote:nobody, amongst the literature you are citing, show me one that uses age matched controls.
I don't think they list any..
well, your thought that this thread is pointless unless people increase their k's surprised me.

I actually do highly respect the literature, as you seem to....and am an advocate of more plant based eating, in accord with Esselstyn, Barnard, and Ornish.
However, I see many people, mostly middle aged with multiple stress and weight related morbidities, who are oversold plant based eating to satiation, as a cure all and sure fire way to lose weight....when it isn't.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 pm

Time for my yearly check-in.

Started this journey 1st July, weighing in at 114.5kg. Weighed in at 105.3 a few months ago, ending up at 105.9 this afternoon. Started cycling 21st July when I took delivery of my MTB. Today I logged my 1,500th km on it.

My initial goal was 15kg for the year (6 months), which got revised down to 10kg a few months ago. Didn't quite get there - on the scales at least - in the end, but I'm not going to chew myself up over it. In the end I know I lost more than 10kg in fat because I also resumed weight training after a lengthy lay-off due to injury and I've definitely put some muscle mass on along the way. Not quite back to peak strength yet either, but well on the way.

I should also get bonus points for motivating a friend to get riding; he joins me at least once/week and just took delivery of a new Trek Superfly 7!

I've had a good think about realistic goals for next year and have come up with 3,500km (70km/week) and to weigh in at 90kg this time next year. Keeping in mind I have a toddler and a son due in <4 weeks, so finding time to ride is going to be a challenge. I've been aiming for 100km/week lately (and only occasionally achieving it) so I thought 2 rides/week would be achievable. My wife doesn't think I can pull off 90kg (she's not without faith, she just thinks that's too light for me) but we'll see - I'm 177cm and have a naturally large build. Sure it won't be easy but I'm pretty sure I can get there with a low enough BF%.

Anyway, great work for you others in this thread; most of you seem to have done really well, and look forward to trading bragging rights in the 'BNA Losers Club 2015' thread! Have a great New Year! :D
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:31 am

Nobody wrote:
CKinnard wrote:M2CW Scott are for most, increasing exercise beyond 4-5 hours a week often leads to a concomitant increase in appetite. When you decrease exercise eventually, your appetite can stay higher than it otherwise would have (due to stretched and desensitized stomach etc), and weight is regained.
Which makes this whole thread seem pointless, since that is how many (most?) are losing the weight.
CKinnard wrote:well, your thought that this thread is pointless unless people increase their k's surprised me.
I wasn't saying that the thread was pointless unless people increase their Kms. I was saying that if your statement is true (which it likely is for the majority) then people using longer distance training to lose weight is flawed over the long term, as in they will put the weight back on eventually. Which is what I did even without decreasing exercise. But longer distance exercise seems to be a significant part in many people's plan to lose weight. For me exercise alone was worth 7Kg loss before regaining, where a significant change of diet is worth 16Kg while reducing exercise duration.

Anyway, I hope the above makes some sense, as it's late. :)

newie

Postby newie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:33 pm

End of year wrap-up. Well, it didn't go entirely to plan. Was hoping to drop from around 62 down to 57-58. But a stack and a broken finger in June had me off the bike for a couple of months and then it has taken me ages to build fitness and enthusiasm back up again. So I am still around 61kgs, Not sure if I still want to lose any in 2015. I am not actually all that unhappy with where I am at. I'm not overweight but a couple of kilos would just be better for the hills. I think I'll just focus on improving my riding and eating well and see if anything happens. I have recently started with Liteneasy (for convenience, not weight loss) so will curious to see how that works out longer term, once the holiday season is over.

Congratulations to those who have made progress on their goals this year and wishing all a happy and healthy 2015!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm

newie wrote:Congratulations to those who have made progress on their goals this year and wishing all a happy and healthy 2015!
+1

I think I started last year at 96 kg and finished around 92 kg. Not much progress but at least in the right direction. Under 90 soon and then the real work starts.
<removed by request>

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:29 pm

end of year report
Well not a good result was 106 kg for most of the year and bounced around mostly above 100kg for the year. :( Finally got down to 96 kg by the end of the year. Not the 75 to 80 kg I'd have liked to have reached but still in the right direction.
Lots of reasons for not reaching my target was sick for a long while, had an operation, got sent OS and interstate for work ect.
Still as most of the loss happen in the last 8 weeks I feel I'm back on track for 2015 and will reach and maintain my goal weight this year. It also helps one of my neighbours has challenged me to running puffing billy :roll: The first couple of runs have been pretty humbling to my ego and how far I have fallen in fitness. But i will keep working at both the weight and fitness.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 pm

New thread for 2015 here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=81294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>