Thunderclap Headaches

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
moose85

Thunderclap Headaches

Postby moose85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Just wondering whether anyone has experienced thunderclap headaches before.

I find myself on the no training list after getting smashed by headaches the last two times out. They are like being hit in both sides of the head with a baseball bat and are instant but then take days to go away.

A bunch of medical tests later and the docs are none the wiser. Just wondering whether anyone has experienced them and what the cause - see if I can't give the docs some thing to look for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

matagi

Re: Thunderclap Headaches

Postby matagi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 am

I take it you have had imaging of the brain? If you have had two such episodes, you should be seeing a neurologist.

Also, what is your blood pressure like?

moose85

Postby moose85 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I've had a ct scan that showed up only small anomolies. Normal stuff for my age. My bp used to be really bad but has been perfect and un medicated for nearly two years. No wild numbers there either. 24 hour bp test Thursday including training to replicate incidents. Hope it at least points to something.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Those antlers , are they strap on or just like with a plastic hair band?........ :) Sorry ...
But really are you getting some pressure from the helmet or is your bar set up low and making you arch your neck up whilst riding. I know I get neck pains if my head set is too low. But I am very old.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

moose85

Postby moose85 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 pm

They're carefully crafted bone implants lol.

Helmet all good. Hadn't thought about the bar but will look at that. Have had them running too so pretty sure it's not bike related. Doctors think it's exercise related. Am training for my first triathlon...

earlybird

Postby earlybird » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am

I used to get a splitting headache when doing sprints. I could ride without a problem until I got up and sprinted. A couple of physio sessions on the back of my neck sorted it out.

moose85

Postby moose85 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:30 pm

earlybird wrote:I used to get a splitting headache when doing sprints. I could ride without a problem until I got up and sprinted. A couple of physio sessions on the back of my neck sorted it out.
You might be right. I hadn't thought about it but I do have issues with neck pain. And all of my headaches, whether on the bike or running have been sprinting or keeping my head upright to improve running stroke...

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Headaches are such a personal thing. I get migraines such that I take a daily preventative medication. It mostly fixes them, but I have other triggers such as garlic and bananas that I avoid. Anyway, when I was trying to work out my triggers, I did lots of reading and found so many contradictions - exercise, lack of exercise, stress, lack of stress, muscle spasm (which they now often treat with Botox!!), foods, strong smells...there were so many. My doc said I was lucky exercise wasn't a trigger for me as I'd always have one.

For me, a migraine can feel like someone has slapped me on the back of the head, followed by a world of pain from headache, nausea, starred vision, and one or twice i've experienced hemiplegia. That was weird. I get nearly all known migraine symptoms, yet others get only one or two ie no visual disturbance or headache does happen.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that with things like this, it is so personal that other peoples experiences may not be beneficial. They may give you things to investigate, but that's all. If it wasn't for my own research, I wouldn't have realized banana is a recognized trigger...especially as I used to eat them without issue when I was younger so had kinda ignored them as a factor.

I hope Thursdays tests provide some clarity. Keep us posted. :)

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Although I agree that others' experiences are only somewhat valuable, I think neck and shoulder tension is definitely something to look into. I know a few people who get tension headaches from the muscles in their neck tightening up, and it seems to me like this could be related to your difficulties. I've posted this link before, but I'll post it again here—even if it doesn't solve your problem, it's still a stretching sequence that I really like for loosening up your shoulders and back, which can contribute to upper back and neck tightness. And yes, keep us posted!

moose85

Postby moose85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

It seems my neck is the issue... after a raft of tests it looks like some work is required on my neck muscles... chiro or physio apparently. Potentially there is a small amount of arthritis there too from some previous injuries.

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:50 am

I would say physio, unfortunately I don't know who's who on the Central Coast these days so I can't recommend anyone.