clicky feeling patella

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
yugyug

clicky feeling patella

Postby yugyug » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Recently when I've been riding two of my bikes I've noticed that my right kneecap feels a bit tight and very slightly clicky (just a feeling, not a sound). I feel this mainly when I start riding and I can get rid of it by 'kicking' out my leg of the pedal. There is no pain. It only happens riding my fixie and a mountain bike I use with a child seat to carry my kid. Both of these have a more upright riding position than my road bike and I pedal harder on them too.

Should I be concerned? Just wondering what it might be and if its might have something to do with saddle or riding position...

thanks

EDIT: and oh yeah, I've only been riding a fixed gear for a month or so, its def. changing my leg muscles! so maybe thats relevant...

lobstermash

Re: clicky feeling patella

Postby lobstermash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I get that too, always at the start of a ride and usually the day after towing a kid around. Goes away after the first couple of kms. I think it may just be tight muscles making the tendons dance over the bones around the knee. Once the muscle's warmed up it goes back to normal.

yugyug

Re: clicky feeling patella

Postby yugyug » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:55 pm

thanks for the comment lobstermash. Sounds about right, it does go away after warmup... I having a suspicion to it would go away too if I could move my seat back more, but their at their limits until I find different seat posts with more setback...