The Cyclist's Curse - ITBFS

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Well I have the dreaded ITB tendinitis after a recent fall and epic ride. Bloody frustrating... How many of us are battling this at the moment?

Ive done all the usual things, and it's getting worse rather than better...

Here it is in picture form from today's scan..,

I might go home and operate on it with my pocket knife!!

gretaboy

Re: The Cyclist's Curse - ITBFS

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Sorry to hear....luckily for me I dont have this also

hope it heals quickly so your back riding

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

I don't have this but do have chronic Patellar tendonitis because 1/3 of it is now my ACL (I ran out of hamstring grafts). It stopped me riding for about 5 years and didn't get better so I just rode on it and it has improved immeasurably but will always be there (too much scar tissue). Take it easy and let it rest/ice and stretch like a mother is the best I can offer.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:30 pm

gretaboy wrote:Sorry to hear....luckily for me I dont have this also

hope it heals quickly so your back riding
I think I just need to HTFU and show some ticker like u Greta! [WINKING FACE]

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 pm

CXCommuter wrote:I don't have this but do have chronic Patellar tendonitis because 1/3 of it is now my ACL (I ran out of hamstring grafts). It stopped me riding for about 5 years and didn't get better so I just rode on it and it has improved immeasurably but will always be there (too much scar tissue). Take it easy and let it rest/ice and stretch like a mother is the best I can offer.
I can sympathise a little with your situation as this knee has only 25% of its ACL left, and it is a bit lax and sloppy... I often get quads tendon tendinitis in it, but that is largely position related on the bike...

Cheers for the suggestions... I've hit it with everything in the past month, and it's just being stubborn... I thought I would just start this thread so I could have a sook and feel better! I'm sitting here and the subs shining and I should be out riding up a hill, or being car-doored, or abused, or something!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:10 pm

I suspect I have the beginnings of the same thing. Currently I'm off the bike midweek and limiting my weekend kilometres. I'm using the opportunity to build leg strength in the gym with eccentric movement to strengthen the irritated tendons.

This isn't Ministry of Silly Walks practice but placing the primary load on the muscles, tendons and cartilage during the lengthening phase of the repetition.

There is some evidence to support it helping in these situations and it has worked for me previously with patellar tendonitis.

PITA not being able to train though. I can see the weight starting to come back on, just looking in the mirror :(

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Oh, PS. Very similar contributing factors. I had an off on the mtb, smacking my knee pretty hard on babyhead rocks, and the knee stability issues popped up about a month later when I started escalating intensity preparing for the Shimamo GP series.

Shoulda dropped the hours more. But I was having so much fun! :(

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I don't have this but do have chronic Patellar tendonitis because 1/3 of it is now my ACL (I ran out of hamstring grafts). It stopped me riding for about 5 years and didn't get better so I just rode on it and it has improved immeasurably but will always be there (too much scar tissue). Take it easy and let it rest/ice and stretch like a mother is the best I can offer.
I can sympathise a little with your situation as this knee has only 25% of its ACL left, and it is a bit lax and sloppy... I often get quads tendon tendinitis in it, but that is largely position related on the bike...

Cheers for the suggestions... I've hit it with everything in the past month, and it's just being stubborn... I thought I would just start this thread so I could have a sook and feel better! I'm sitting here and the subs shining and I should be out riding up a hill, or being car-doored, or abused, or something!!!
My Left knee was damaged in a rockclimbing accident more than 30 yrs ago
Had an ACL repair a decade after that (Patellar tendon)
Patellar tendon never gives me any issues but do get some Quads tendonitis if i work too hard on the bike.
Also sometimes get trochanteric bursitis but only after i get off the bike.
Should stay on the bike perhaps :wink:

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 am

ITB! I wish I never knew what it stood for, but unfortunately I know all about. I could write a whole spiel tho I dont have the motivation at the moment. I will how ever guide those who are interested in the direction of Steve Hogg. Steve is an Internationally recognized bike fitter, he states that almost always itb issues are the result of a lateral pelvic tilt. Check out his web site lots of great info over there.

brendan c

Postby brendan c » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I remember when I had this issue being told by the physio how many times it was rubbing on the side of my knee per hour at 90rpm. 90rpm*60 = 5400 but of course it rubs on both the way up and down, so it's 10800.

cleat adjustment, saddle slightly lower, bars up 1 spacer (effectively 2 or 3 when combined with the saddle drop), and the 4 stretches/strengthening exercises the physio gave me have kept it under control for the last 3 years.
My flexibility throught the lower back, bum and hamstrings is terrible, which combined with the sub-optimal fit left me unable to ride 20kms, I did the 210km around the bay in a day with no dramas 4 weeks after getting it checked out and doing the exercises while slowly ramping up training.