Blood Pressure Increasing??

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Don1970

Re: Blood Pressure Increasing??

Postby Don1970 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for that matagi.
Stefan - possibly could have something to do with pushing myself a bit harder for longer, as I have been doing that this year a bit more than normal. No hills but my av speed is better.
Actual blood pressure hovers around 138-145/78-85. In previous years it has decreased from these levels.
John

Dr_Mutley

Blood Pressure Increasing??

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Don1970 wrote:Thanks for that matagi.
Stefan - possibly could have something to do with pushing myself a bit harder for longer, as I have been doing that this year a bit more than normal. No hills but my av speed is better.
Actual blood pressure hovers around 138-145/78-85. In previous years it has decreased from these levels.
John
Sounds borderline acceptable, although you probably have room to move to 10mg, if your figures are correct... Coversyl (not plus) is the best one to be on if u tolerate it ok. U will find many if the other classes of antihypertensives have negative effects on your ability to exercise, which is counterproductive in your case. The only thing to be careful of with coversyl & cycling is making sure your hydration is good on the bike. Coversyl amplifies the effect of dehydration on the kidneys, unlike other drugs.

Have u taken your BP machine to the docs with u to verify its accuracy? I find with the portable machines, whether it's a brachial or radial machine, their accuracy seems independent to their cost.... Even some of the sphygmomanometers in hospital can be quite inaccurate, especially if wrong sized arm cuffs are used.

A reasonably definitive way to quantify your BP is to ask your GP to organise a 24hr BP monitor that u wear around... Pick a day off the bike, and see what your average BP is..,
Stefan_A wrote: 2. it's wiser to look at BP in conjunction with other health factors - cholesterol, insulin, thyroid, social and work related stress....and especially quality and quantity of sleep. many cyclists cut into sleep to up the k's.
?
Very wise advice :-)

Don1970

Postby Don1970 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 am

Good info - thanks Dr Mutley.
Haven't checked my machine with the Docs - will try to do that next visit.
Hydration on the bike should be fairly good I think - I seem to take more water than the others I know around here (almost double the amount for the same distance - eg I consume around 3.5-4L/80km)
I always try to get 8 hrs sleep - I am not someone who can function very well on only 5 or 6 hours!

John

liamo

Postby liamo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:38 am

Hi

I have the opposite occuring. My blood pressure is low and I have negative symptons associated with this - faint, headaches, fatigue.
I have a busy work schedule, don't sleep too much and am looking to increase training

I've read and been advised by 2 GP's to try the following - Drink more water, red meat, add salt to meals, isotonic sports drink, iron supplements, coffee, sleep more

Any tips welcome

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 am

Had your thyroid function checked?

philip

Postby philip » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

Last visit to the GP (first time in about 20 years!) and my BP was high (was in for something unrelated, no symptoms). I've got a machine at home and have been taking my BP with that, it seems to hang around 140/70, so systolic is a bit high. Resting heart rate is about 45. Blood tests all normal, low cholesterol etc. Doing a 24 hour BP check right now. Bit worried that if I get put on meds then it'll affect my cycling performance! Will wait to see the results and what the doc says.

I looked up what can be done about high BP and laughed. None of them apply to me - doc said it could just be a genetic thing.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 pm

philip wrote:Last visit to the GP (first time in about 20 years!) and my BP was high (was in for something unrelated, no symptoms). I've got a machine at home and have been taking my BP with that, it seems to hang around 140/70, so systolic is a bit high. Resting heart rate is about 45. Blood tests all normal, low cholesterol etc. Doing a 24 hour BP check right now. Bit worried that if I get put on meds then it'll affect my cycling performance! Will wait to see the results and what the doc says.

I looked up what can be done about high BP and laughed. None of them apply to me - doc said it could just be a genetic thing.
Tough to fight genetics... Good to hear your other parameters are good. There are plenty of antihypertensives that will have little or no effect on cycling performance... So if u have to, make sure u ask your GP for one of those...

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Philip, ensure you are applying the BP cuff at the appropriate height relevant to heart (according to instructions). You only need the cuff/sensor to be 4-6 cm's lower than required to muff the readings.