Weight loss keeping it simple

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
durianrider

Re: Weight loss keeping it simple

Postby durianrider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Im 6ft, 65kg and run on sugar. Can hold just over 6w/kg for 10 mins any day of the year. Mum is clinicaly obese. Loves her steak and dairy. I love my rice and pasta instead.

Feels great not to have to starve or ride crazy miles all year like Steve Abraham who is still overweight despite averaging 320km a day this year on his rich english fatty diet.
Vegan since 2001.

zill

Postby zill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 pm

durianrider wrote:Im 6ft, 65kg and run on sugar. Can hold just over 6w/kg for 10 mins any day of the year. Mum is clinicaly obese. Loves her steak and dairy. I love my rice and pasta instead.

Feels great not to have to starve or ride crazy miles all year like Steve Abraham who is still overweight despite averaging 320km a day this year on his rich english fatty diet.
Since you are vegan, you are allowed to eat cafe desserts like cakes, muffins etc?

If so do you eat them? Why or why not?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 pm

durianrider wrote:Im 6ft, 65kg and run on sugar. Can hold just over 6w/kg for 10 mins any day of the year. Mum is clinicaly obese. Loves her steak and dairy. I love my rice and pasta instead.

Go away please

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:25 am

durianrider wrote:...
Not your best work mate...

unsubstantiated brag... check
obese mother... check
slander... check
rice... check
sugar... check

where's your girlfriend? Thailand? and most of all bananas? Won't somebody think of the BANANAS??? :shock:

Seriously though, that's a pretty slack troll. Not up to your usual standards at all.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:42 pm

OK we can leave the jive talk and go back on topic "Weight loss keeping it simple" :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:23 pm

mikesbytes wrote:OK we can leave the jive talk and go back on topic "Weight loss keeping it simple" :)
Sure! In my experience, watch what you eat and don't try to make up for bad decisions by exercising more.
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:30 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Sure! In my experience, watch what you eat and don't try to make up for bad decisions by exercising more.

Very true. Diet is pretty much everything when it comes to weight loss since if you exercise less than simply eat less but eating less in this day and age can be extremely hard to do.

For me, I am exploring ways to restrict ways of financing unessential/tempting foods.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 pm

zill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: Sure! In my experience, watch what you eat and don't try to make up for bad decisions by exercising more.

Very true. Diet is pretty much everything when it comes to weight loss since if you exercise less than simply eat less but eating less in this day and age can be extremely hard to do.

For me, I am exploring ways to restrict ways of financing unessential/tempting foods.
Ditch the plastic and the wallet, tuck a tenner deep into your saddlebag and try to get home with it untouched.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
zill wrote:

Ditch the plastic and the wallet, tuck a tenner deep into your saddlebag and try to get home with it untouched.
Most of my rides are planned as part of training so not very tempted to buy stuff, plus I pack ample snacks in the saddle bag.

Its mainly when at home or outside when not doing much physical activities that I get in trouble. Have already gone cashless and have put the card in inconvenient places at home - planning to use it only if I really have to. Have just got a cheque book and need to start learning to use that!

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 am

zill wrote:

Since you are vegan, you are allowed to eat cafe desserts like cakes, muffins etc?

If so do you eat them? Why or why not?
For sure I eat all sorts of vegan baked goods from donuts, pies, pasties and pastries but even though there are many vegan baked goods/stockists in Radelaide I don't eat them daily as I prefer the high octane low fat high carb foods typically. Cherry Darlings is a 100% vegan bakery and I know a few cyclists that didnt even know it was all vegan despite eating their a few times haha.

I eat so much and its so cool not having to starve and stay so lean that some of the pros during TDU ask you want you eat to stay so lean. Even the Team Sky nutritionist is overweight and none of the team really listens to him I hear. He is just their for 'public image' more than actual effective advice. I wouldnt listen to him either if I were a pro cos I wouldnt want to get as heavy as he is.

Heading off in a few weeks for 3 months cycle touring around Thailand. Thats the beauty of a vegan diet, you can eat anywhere you go once you learn what you like. Bit like cycling. 11spd or 10spd? Have to try both to decide really otherwise we are just listening to industry dogma 'what about broteen?'. 8)
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm

I thought we were leaving the jive talk and getting back on topic "Weight loss keeping it simple" :wink:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm doing myhealthybalance for work. It's not bad. For my money, it's a bit too entrenched in the old school low fat dogma, but there is some very useful stuff buried deeper in the program.

Tips for work:
a. Get rid of tempting food and replace with healthy food
b. When you're stressed, go for a short walk to distract yourself
c. Bring your lunch to work to prevent making unhealthy choices
d. Drink plenty of water (you can mistake hunger for thirst)

It is important to eat your meals slowly and chew food thoroughly because:
a. Your body takes up to 20 minutes to realise that you are full
b. You get more satisfaction out of your food
c. This reduces the chance of overeating
d. It is easier on your digestive system

These tips can help you eat an appropriate amount at meal times:
a. Savouring each mouthful of food
b. Eating at the dinner table
c. Eating without any distractions

I would like to add to that: don't do your grocery shopping when you are hungry!
<removed by request>