shin splint or something worse?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jemima

shin splint or something worse?

Postby jemima » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:42 pm

Since moving back to Perth a few months ago, I've generally just being riding on the weekends; about 150-180klm over two days.

Two weeks ago, I developed a sore, lower-front, left leg.
At the time, I though it may have been cycling related.

This week at work, there was still a slight throbbing pain there, with a bit of swelling.

After a ride around the river today (could feel a little pain there during the ride), I checked online for what this may be.
Perhaps shin splints on one leg? (I don't run, or do any other strenuous-type exercise.)

I was just checking my lower leg again this evening; feeling the soreness/pain.
Stretched back-and-forth my foot a bit and can hear a faint squeaking sound in my leg where the pain is!
(Similar to slowly swinging a door hinge which is rusty)

I thought at first it was just my leather sandals, but took them off, and my lower front leg is faintly squeaking when I stretch back-and-forth that area, and the feeling during stretching there, is like a buzzy sensation when I place my fingers on that front, bone/muscle area (still swollen a bit and slightly red).

Could I have a slight fracture?

foo on patrol

Re: shin splint or something worse?

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:03 am

Sounds like tendonitus (sp) to me and that is very painful up the front of the leg and I'm talking from experience. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Yep- tendonitis- the old squeaky door- had this in one of my wrist tendons when I was marathon training- 20 years (OMGosh that long ago!!) and it still is an issue on unsettled weather days. Get it looked at and take it easier than easy otherwise you will have it forever.

Edit- Marathon Kayaking!!- brain, finger disconnect :oops:
Last edited by CXCommuter on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:58 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Yep- tendonitis- the old squeaky door- had this in one of my wrist tendons when I was marathon training- 20 years (OMGosh that long ago!!) and it still is an issue on unsettled weather days. Get it looked at and take it easier than easy otherwise you will have it forever.
This being the critical thing as I finished riding the last 1200klms of a 2000klm Charity ride with it and I still suffer real bad at times now, you just don't know what will set it off. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:14 pm

thanks for the replies.

Searching a bit more, it seems to be Anterior something or other.

Should I start with a medical doctor, or a sports physio?
(I had my bike fit by a physio a little while back).

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:45 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Edit- Marathon Kayaking!!- brain, finger disconnect :oops:
I just thought you were running funny :)

I'd see a physio. I can recommend Ascend Physio at Challenge Stadium. They see a lot of WAIS athletes as they are next door. I see Stacy there and swear by her. She gave me a strengthening plan for my injuries and understood when I told her rest wasn't an option. Of course...I had different injuries. I had seen another physio who told me 6 weeks rest...turns out that wouldn't have solved my issue but only hidden it for 6 weeks.