8 bananas?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: 8 bananas?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 01, 2014 3:19 pm

jlh wrote:
Squashed wrote:..... personally I found vegan was too extreme. you had to take so many supplements just to get the nutrients you need. No dairy means calcium tablets or loads of almonds. Mushrooms for protein if you can tolerate them, otherwise its corn based protein....
Squashed, suggest you educate yourself instead of repeating the marketing drivel of the meat and dairy industries.
- green leafy veggies, legumes and nuts for calcium
- protein from grains, legumes, nuts and veggies
- mushrooms are supposedly for vitamin b but is turns out that is only if you eat the manure they are grown in! :shock:

The only supplement you really need is B12 and also zinc if you can't be bothered eating enough nuts, legumes, grains and green leafy veggies.

Of greater concern to everyone is selenium. Australian soils are pretty low in selenium, especially in WA. However, taking supplemental selenium is not recommended either. It is much better to get selenium from food.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/multi_details.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops. I forgot Vitamin K2, which is low in plant foods.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/healthydiet_multi.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Stefan_A wrote: how about
when I get a vegan roasting for wanting to have a magpie put down or re-located due to attacking the eyes of cyclists, with attacks getting more concentrated on the eyes over three mating seasons, and three children being hospitalized with eye damage. And when I support the argument with magpie numbers artificially elevated in urban areas due to their ability to better adapt to built environs, and that the artificially inflated magpie population drives out or kills off other native fauna such as wrens and finches.
magpies don't take out the native birds, cats and crows do. And local councils spraying copious amounts of poison kill local bird and animal populations too.

The best way to prevent magpie attacks in your area is to feed them. Many people say it is bad to offer the local magpie population some food for various reasons, including it makes them reliant on people and stops them looking for their own food. Bah to that. We feed the local magpie population a few times a week with a small handful of cat or dog biscuits, some mealworms, or earthworms. The magpies know we are not a threat to them and each year produce a few new family members in the big tree opposite our house. These magpies do not swoop anyone coming through our neighbourhood :)

-----------------------------------
Dragster1 wrote:I just had to do it, every time I read this thread this bloody tune The Banana Splits/The Tra La La Song rings in my head. It was from a kids show from yester year
lol :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Squashed wrote:
Stefan_A wrote: how about
when I get a vegan roasting for wanting to have a magpie put down or re-located due to attacking the eyes of cyclists, with attacks getting more concentrated on the eyes over three mating seasons, and three children being hospitalized with eye damage. And when I support the argument with magpie numbers artificially elevated in urban areas due to their ability to better adapt to built environs, and that the artificially inflated magpie population drives out or kills off other native fauna such as wrens and finches.
magpies don't take out the native birds, cats and crows do. And local councils spraying copious amounts of poison kill local bird and animal populations too.

The best way to prevent magpie attacks in your area is to feed them. Many people say it is bad to offer the local magpie population some food for various reasons, including it makes them reliant on people and stops them looking for their own food. Bah to that. We feed the local magpie population a few times a week with a small handful of cat or dog biscuits, some mealworms, or earthworms. The magpies know we are not a threat to them and each year produce a few new family members in the big tree opposite our house. These magpies do not swoop anyone coming through our neighbourhood :)

-----------------------------------
Dragster1 wrote:I just had to do it, every time I read this thread this bloody tune The Banana Splits/The Tra La La Song rings in my head. It was from a kids show from yester year
lol :)
'coz they are too lazy now to get off the couch. :mrgreen:

"Wanna take my chicks? Go for it, I'm watching Oprah. Just pass me another slice of pizza - it's right next to to the esky - before you head out."
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri May 02, 2014 8:57 am

Squashed wrote:magpies don't take out the native birds, cats and crows do.
I didn't pull that from anecdote, it comes from wildlife experts.

Feeding magpies in suburbs is what vegans should really be getting irate about.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Speaking of ultra-processed, exactly what is in the food we are eating. I found out about brominated vegetable oil today. Ick!

Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) is a mixture of complex plant-derived triglycerides which have been brominated. Bromine (from Greek: βρῶμος, brómos, meaning "strong-smelling" or "stench")[3] is a chemical element with the symbol Br...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds rank. Anyway,
COCA-COLA is dropping a controversial ingredient from its Powerade sports drink, after a similar move by PepsiCo's Gatorade last year.

The ingredient, brominated vegetable oil, had been the target of a petition by a Mississippi teenager, who questioned why it was being used in a drink marketed toward health-conscious athletes. The petition on Change.org noted that the ingredient is linked to a flame retardant and is not approved for use in Japan or the European Union.
Luckily,
Coca-Cola Australia does not use brominated vegetable oil in its Powerade products.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/co ... 6905582553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does make you wonder what we are eating and drinking though. :(
<removed by request>

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 pm

^^^^ , you reminded me when I was a wee one, we used to find old copper coins and leave them in coco cola over night and they would come out shiny & sparkling the next day. I thought to myself what the hell is in this stuff. :shock:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Dragster1 wrote:^^^^ , you reminded me when I was a wee one, we used to find old copper coins and leave them in coco cola over night and they would come out shiny & sparkling the next day. I thought to myself what the hell is in this stuff. :shock:
Ack! I hope you didn't drink the coke after that... !!! :shock: :wink:
<removed by request>

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:24 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:^^^^ , you reminded me when I was a wee one, we used to find old copper coins and leave them in coco cola over night and they would come out shiny & sparkling the next day. I thought to myself what the hell is in this stuff. :shock:
Ack! I hope you didn't drink the coke after that... !!! :shock: :wink:
:lol: definitely not, even drunk a lot less of soft drink after seeing that .
Last edited by Dragster1 on Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Phosphoric acid, though quite weak. Among the millions of chain emails about the "evils" of Coke and the horrific things it does to your body you will often see phosphoric acid listed as "stripping the calcium out of your bones because it's acidic". Of course they never mention the fact that the acids in your stomach are a LOT stronger than that in coke, but the truth just gets in the way of a good story :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Phosphoric acid, though quite weak. Among the millions of chain emails about the "evils" of Coke and the horrific things it does to your body you will often see phosphoric acid listed as "stripping the calcium out of your bones because it's acidic". Of course they never mention the fact that the acids in your stomach are a LOT stronger than that in coke, but the truth just gets in the way of a good story :) .
Not the best for the calcium in your teeth hey!

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue May 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Moreso the enamel i believe

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I imagine the significant amounts of sugar would be more problematic than the acid :idea:

I wonder how many people swore off Coke after seeing it strip the coins but continued smoking or drinking? The stuff is poison, that's why it affects your body! Oh well. Had two bananas today. Very hungry. Didn't experience any adverse effects :lol:

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 am

Why would you expect adverse effects from eating 2 bananas? I eat about 8-10 most days without adverse effects (actually positive effects).

Oris that sarcasm in your post?

(it doesn't work well without the tone you get in a conversation)

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Thu May 08, 2014 4:44 am

too many bananas or tomatoes can cause kidney disease in some people. Moderation is the key to good health. A bit of this and a bit of that. Have lots of plant matter in your diet but don't get too carried away with bananas or tomaties :)

kb

8 bananas?

Postby kb » Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 am

Xplora wrote:I imagine the significant amounts of sugar would be more problematic than the acid :idea:
The combination is the problem but I've heard even unsweetened carbonated water isn't good.

My wife had a rural health unit in Renmark and I was a bit surprised (though shouldn't have been) how much damage wine tasting does from dissolving tooth enamel.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun May 25, 2014 7:10 pm

8 bananas is 'too much calories!'?

LOL!

Myself and Freelee eat MORE fruit than any couple in Australia. What would the couple who eats the most animal fat look like?

Fruit is fattening? Dairy is designed to put around 1kg of fat onto a calve per day. If you want to whey more, go the dairy. If you want to weight less, go the fruits! Uganda doesnt have a famine. It has the highest rate of banana consumption per capita. Very lean people. They also have a super low fat and protein dietary intake. They all look like elite marathoners even if they run or not. Until they migrate down under and eat like 'traditional aussies'...

http://instagram.com/p/oH8nwdnJyM/

Channel 9 morning show (I forget the name cos we don't own a TV) is giving 5-8mins tomorrow morning for Freelee to talk about her 'banana diet' and plug her new book.

We had to stop eating our exclusive fruit diet as we got TOO lean. We still eat vegan of course. Its so easy, tasty, ethical and healthy.

So to answer the OP question.

Add in more fruit if you want to drop weight.
Add in more dairy if you want to gain weight.
Understand that fat and protein calories will keep fasting insulin levels higher (insulin is an anabolic hormone aka weight gaining) hence why you NEVER see any heavyweight athletes doing a fruitarian diet. Its always full of animal fat and protein to keep the insulin levels high. Many heavyweight pro athletes also inject insulin (EXTREMELY dangerous) to create more weight gain.

So one can literally be eating 4000cals of fruit and it will be FAR slimming than 4000cals of atkins, IQS, paleo, dukin, primal fad diet menus.

This is the main reason we NEVER have to calorie restrict. Human body is designed to be light to protect the leg joints and low fasting insulin is the natural human model.

Look at our daily diet vlogs and blood tests. Just by results vs theory. :)
Vegan since 2001.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun May 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Ah good old DR- I eat copious amounts of everything- dairy, meats, fruit and veges (no particular order) and lost 25kg along with hold down a normal job, ride pretty well and have a family. Stop sprouting your BS. You got too thin because you are eating a diet our bodies are not designed to utilise, hence you HAVE to eat twice as much to get enough nutrition in. Oh and btw we are not monkeys or gorillas so don't compare our diet to them.
And due to an unrelated iron issue (cannot donate blood) full medical and blood tests - all in perfect working order- it is all whey good.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 am

durianrider wrote: Fruit is fattening? Dairy is designed to put around 1kg of fat onto a calve per day. If you want to whey more, go the dairy. If you want to weight less, go the fruits!
lol dairy pun :)

------------------------------
CXCommuter wrote: Oh and btw we are not monkeys or gorillas so don't compare our diet to them.
Actually, we are very closely related to them tho. We have very similar teeth, internal organs and digestive tract.
re: monkey & apes diet. They eat fruits, nuts, seeds, berries, insects and meat if they find or catch it. Sounds pretty similar to human diets except we cook those foods, then lather it with fat and sugar :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 26, 2014 8:18 am

Squashed wrote: CXCommuter wrote:Oh and btw we are not monkeys or gorillas so don't compare our diet to them.

Actually, we are very closely related to them tho.
We're not just descendants of the Apes, we are Apes.
Just another primate species.

Look at the bottom of the primate species list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primates

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 am

CXCommuter wrote:And due to an unrelated iron issue (cannot donate blood) full medical and blood tests - all in perfect working order- it is all whey good.
It is true that you may be the one in two people who can deal with the damage the animal protein and fat can do in reference to heart disease. However, according to the the book "The China Study" which I'm currently reading, you can still have problems with blood cholesterol levels that western doctors would consider good, if you are susceptible. I've heard from a person at work that the only way to know for sure is to have an arterial calcification scan, which I believe is a particular CT scan. But I expect a medical person can/will correct me on the terminology if I've got it wrong.

Heart disease is only one of many problems that eating animal products can cause. The most significant is the increased rate of various cancers. That also strikes about one in two who eat a western diet during their lifetime.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 26, 2014 10:24 am

durianrider wrote: Uganda doesnt have a famine.
60 districts across Uganda were affected by famine last year, and the current situation as reported by FEWS-
FEWS wrote: Poor households continue to face Stressed (IPC Phase 2) acute food insecurity in Karamoja. A declining proportion of households are able to consume food stocks following below average harvests from October to December.
I've really enjoyed your absence from this forum, it would be nice if you could make it permanent.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

march83

Postby march83 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 am

Squashed wrote:
CXCommuter wrote: Oh and btw we are not monkeys or gorillas so don't compare our diet to them.
Actually, we are very closely related to them tho. We have very similar teeth, internal organs and digestive tract.
re: monkey & apes diet. They eat fruits, nuts, seeds, berries, insects and meat if they find or catch it. Sounds pretty similar to human diets except we cook those foods, then lather it with fat and sugar :)
"similar" is a relative term: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/should ... 4Ka3Ycp9zo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Tim wrote:
Squashed wrote: CXCommuter wrote:Oh and btw we are not monkeys or gorillas so don't compare our diet to them.

Actually, we are very closely related to them tho.
We're not just descendants of the Apes, we are Apes.
Just another primate species.

Look at the bottom of the primate species list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primates
I agree that we are an Ape- a specialized ape that needs to eat higher proportions of protein as we have different digestive tracts incapable of fermenting a vegetarian diet effectively (as referenced above by march83) unless we are DR who can afford/needs to eat huge quantities of fruit to meet his energy and nutritional needs.

I also didn't indicate what my actual diet and proportions are- mostly veges, fruit, grains (say 60%) and 20% each for dairy (natural dairy- not low fat or added sugars) and meat (principally low fat good quality cuts). I don't eat much in the way of nuts due to dietary issues.

Dinner last night was home made Shabu Shabu- Japanese Hotpot with ~200gr each of sliced low grade wagyu (ie minimal fat) and lots of veges/mushrooms and some noodles.

I am also a strong advocate for fermented foods- bean curds, Kimchi, sauerkraut etc. All very good for you and does to veges what the digestive tract of a gorilla does to its leaves making food more amenable to absorption and use by us.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon May 26, 2014 1:01 pm

[mod] Some posts breaching the site rules have been edited; please discuss away but keep on-topic and play the ball. [/mod]
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Nobody wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:And due to an unrelated iron issue (cannot donate blood) full medical and blood tests - all in perfect working order- it is all whey good.
It is true that you may be the one in two people who can deal with the damage the animal protein and fat can do in reference to heart disease. However, according to the the book "The China Study" which I'm currently reading, you can still have problems with blood cholesterol levels that western doctors would consider good, if you are susceptible. I've heard from a person at work that the only way to know for sure is to have an arterial calcification scan, which I believe is a particular CT scan. But I expect a medical person can/will correct me on the terminology if I've got it wrong.

Heart disease is only one of many problems that eating animal products can cause. The most significant is the increased rate of various cancers. That also strikes about one in two who eat a western diet during their lifetime.
I googled that book. It's a bit controversial. No surprise you're reading it then. :mrgreen:

I'm still thinking about trying to reduce my meat intake but think I lack the most important attribute. Resolve.
I've cut back at work and changed largely from cooked terrestrial animal carcass to fish. Which I think is healthier for you. Aldi frozen Atlantic salmon portions jammed in the sandwich press from frozen. They make a satisfying clattering sound as you slap them on there frozen solid but 7 1/2 minutes later they are damned tasty. Served with nuked frozen veggies is a good work day feed with my limited meal break window and culinary skills.

I'm still wondering how the hell you've managed to drag your family along with you? Or are you cooking two different meals? In any case top results on the weight loss and full marks for resolve 8)

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink: