8 bananas?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: 8 bananas?

Postby Nobody » Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:I googled that book. It's a bit controversial. No surprise you're reading it then. :mrgreen:
As you know I've got a history of being more interested in truth than being popular. Not that I always get it right, but at least I'm trying. :mrgreen:
warthog1 wrote:I'm still thinking about trying to reduce my meat intake but think I lack the most important attribute. Resolve.
The video below should help somewhat with resolve. It's showing a link between animal protein intake and cancer development. Which is probably the primary message of the extensive research study.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG_LeY1pUAc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
warthog1 wrote:I'm still wondering how the hell you've managed to drag your family along with you? Or are you cooking two different meals?
I didn't drag the family along as I value freedom of choice. I cook/prepare my own food. Nothing fancy, but then I'm not a fussy eater, which is an advantage in this scenario. :)
warthog1 wrote:In any case top results on the weight loss and full marks for resolve 8)
Thanks. :) But it's easier than you may think in some respects as I don't have to restrict anything I usually eat and once I got past about 3 weeks it all became habit. :D
Last edited by Nobody on Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

ldrcycles wrote:
durianrider wrote: Uganda doesnt have a famine.
60 districts across Uganda were affected by famine last year, and the current situation as reported by FEWS-
FEWS wrote: Poor households continue to face Stressed (IPC Phase 2) acute food insecurity in Karamoja. A declining proportion of households are able to consume food stocks following below average harvests from October to December.
I've really enjoyed your absence from this forum, it would be nice if you could make it permanent.
Definition of a famine is 20% of the adult population CAN'T get 2100calories a day.

How about these high carb low fat eating nations then?

Indonesia
India
Japan
China
Kenya
Eritrea
Thailand
Cambodia
Myanmar
Korea

Do they get fat from the white rice and corn the live on?

Im drinking a smoothy right now with 20 large organic bananas, water and 100g of organic sugar.

Its raining today. Im not training. Don't have to train for weight loss when I eat this well. I ran a 2:48 marathon on the weekend so yeah, you can perform very well on minimal training relative to the other guys who train more but don't eat as well and as a result, carry excess weight despite having excellent cardio.

End of the day if people have doubts about 8 bananas and weight loss..Im the leanest guy on this forum and I don't crack the blender out for anything less than 15 bananas.

These Ugandan kids are doing a banana dance. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7KMoSE1_lU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do they look like they are energy deficient? Compare these kids to the average overweight aussie kids. Who eats more carbs? Who eats more fat and animal protein?

Ugandan kids will eat bananas mashed with corn for dinner. Aussie kids eat steak and consider vegetables to be fried potatoes. Fat diets = fatty kids.
Vegan since 2001.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue May 27, 2014 11:15 am

durianrider wrote:
...I don't crack the blender out for anything less than 15 bananas.
Our blenders only see three bananas in one day. They do see around twenty dates a day, though. Powers me up fine.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 27, 2014 11:24 am

durianrider wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
durianrider wrote: Uganda doesnt have a famine.
60 districts across Uganda were affected by famine last year, and the current situation as reported by FEWS-
FEWS wrote: Poor households continue to face Stressed (IPC Phase 2) acute food insecurity in Karamoja. A declining proportion of households are able to consume food stocks following below average harvests from October to December.
I've really enjoyed your absence from this forum, it would be nice if you could make it permanent.
Definition of a famine is 20% of the adult population CAN'T get 2100calories a day.

How about these high carb low fat eating nations then?

Indonesia
India
Japan
China
Kenya
Eritrea
Thailand
Cambodia
Myanmar
Korea

Im drinking a smoothy right now with 20 large organic bananas, water and 100g of organic sugar.

Its raining today. Im not training. Don't have to train for weight loss when I eat this well. I ran a 2:48 marathon on the weekend so yeah, you can perform very well on minimal training relative to the other guys who train more but don't eat as well and as a result, carry excess weight despite having excellent cardio.

End of the day if people have doubts about 8 bananas and weight loss..Im the leanest guy on this forum and I don't crack the blender out for anything less than 15 bananas.

These Ugandan kids are doing a banana dance. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7KMoSE1_lU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do they look like they are energy deficient? Compare these kids to the average overweight aussie kids. Who eats more carbs? Who eats more fat and animal protein?

Ugandan kids will eat bananas mashed with corn for dinner. Aussie kids eat steak and consider vegetables to be fried potatoes. Fat diets = fatty kids.
LOL are you seriously suggesting Uganda, Cambodia, Kenya, Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia and India as nations to look towards for "healthy eating?" and weight management? I have no issue with high carb low fat (or low carb high fat - there is enough research around supporting both ends of teh scale, its generally the combination of high fat AND high carb that causes issues..) but if you've ever been to any of those nations, you'll understand why that's so laughable..

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue May 27, 2014 2:30 pm

I reckon let people eat what they want, its their life and their future to mess up.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue May 27, 2014 2:36 pm

durianrider wrote:How about these high carb low fat eating nations then?

Probably not, because most of them can't afford enough food to get fat on, and most of the population leads an active lifestyle with few of the "labour saving devices" we enjoy.

Mrs Barefoot and I packed on a heap of weight when we went vego in the late '90s. We ate a shi'ite load of rice and pasta, with a moderate topping of low-fat vegetables, herbs and spices (curries, stirfries, pasta sauces). We were both quite sedentary (students), but with sufficient income to buy as much rice and pasta as we could eat. And seriously, I was buying rice by the 10kg bagful for that year.

Back then, the term "low carb" hadn't entered into the mainstream. "Low fat" was a synonym for healthy eating. I cooked with a minimum of (vegetable) oils, and a whole crapload of carbs.

After admitting that that little healthy eating experiment was an abject failure, returning to an omnivorous diet and at least stabilising our ballooning waistlines, she's shown absolutely no desire to consider a vegetarian lifestyle ever again.

Whether you like to admit it or not, it is absolutely possible to put on a disturbing amount of weight by eating a low-fat, high-carb diet. I've been there and done that. I won't generalise my experience and claim that everybody would have the same experience, but I have an N=2 anecdote that says starchy carbs make flabby arses.

tim

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue May 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Oh, go away somewhere else less where the pursuit of knowledge is less selective. You know who I mean. We ALL know who I mean. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue May 27, 2014 7:11 pm

barefoot wrote:Whether you like to admit it or not, it is absolutely possible to put on a disturbing amount of weight by eating a low-fat, high-carb diet. I've been there and done that. I won't generalise my experience and claim that everybody would have the same experience, but I have an N=2 anecdote that says starchy carbs make flabby arses.
The only qualification I would add to that is that it is absolutely possible to put on a disturbing amount of weight by overeating a low-fat, high-carb diet. Any refined carbs can be overeaten and overeating will lead to weight gain. The worst I have had is overeating ultra-processed foods but I have still gotten flabby by overeating less refined foods. I don't think you can gain weight if you just overeat fruit and veg though because their energy density is too low. Low-fat, high-carb won't help you if you are overeating refined foods. You will still gain weight. It is guaranteed.
<removed by request>

march83

Postby march83 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:26 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
barefoot wrote: I don't think you can gain weight if you just overeat fruit and veg though because their energy density is too low.
challenge accepted. I'm just ducking out to stock up on avocados and coconuts.

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Slowing changing the way I eat. Fruits, Nuts, Juices, Veggies during the day and just eating alot of carbs leading into the afternoon. Removed dairy completely (well trying to). Feeling soo much better. I feel lighter and more alive. The current mentality I have right now is eat what your body will use completely. Haven't gained weight, lol.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 am

CXCommuter wrote: Dinner last night was home made Shabu Shabu- Japanese Hotpot with ~200gr each of sliced low grade wagyu (ie minimal fat) and lots of veges/mushrooms and some noodles.
Wagyu beef has the highest fat content out of any lean beef. All the white marbling is fat :)

-----------------------------
For all you guys arguing about the rest of this stuff, I reiterate, too many bananas or tomatoes can lead to kidney disease.

Please, Keep it in moderation. No more than 2 or 3 bananas per day just in case you are one of those who is susceptible to getting kidney disease :)

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 am

Lulz at people thinking there is starvation situations in Thailand. Go to the Issan region and look how slim and beautiful the women are there. From behind you can't tell if they are 18 or 48.

Are some people typing these comments as they sit at KFC? Sounds like it.

My gf and I would put our hands up and say we eat the most carbs per couple and least fat of any couple in Australia.

I love reading comments from people that have obviously never travelled to any of these nations with a bicycle like I have and actually stayed in the rural villages and eaten the traditional plant based meals.

Sorry, getting hung over on kontiki tours and eating at western style restaurants or restaurants catered to tourists doesnt count as traveling in my book. 8)

My gf 'the banana girl' ate literally 50 large bananas yesterday. A film crew from Japan came to our house to film it. They didnt believe it. She had to eat EVERY morsel on camera for 3 meals. It will be on Japanese TV in a few weeks and then we will put it on youtube. The funny thing was the overweight reporter trying to tell Freelee 'bananas are fattening though...be careful..'. Freelee said with a wry smile, 'how about we both slip into a bikini and you say that line again...?'.

My obese mother often tells me 'Harley, watch out for rice and bananas...they are pure energy and make people fat'. Its like people are drunk with ignorance even though they have live examples right in front of them. Bit like dogs that walk across the road in front of cars, ignorant to the danger. How do people get so ignorant? Is it mainstream TV and corporate agenda designed to keep people sick and tired so the $$$ keep rolling in?

Eat your bananas people. Don't wait for TV to say its safe too.
Vegan since 2001.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am

^^^^ Harley Can you tell us everything you eat in a full day. Surely your not just munching 70% bananas for your meals

skull

Postby skull » Wed May 28, 2014 10:43 am

Dragster1 wrote:^^^^ Harley Can you tell us everything you eat in a full day. Surely your not just munching 70% bananas for your meals
Go to his you tube channel. He has a 30 day diary of what he ate for each day.

There is vegan pizzas, lots of juice, mono meals of fruit, a bit of foraging for berries out of trees but his 20+ banana smoothie does frequent a fair bit. It is very interesting freelee has also done a similar vblog series.

Bananas really turn my bowels on. I would have 2 before riding in the morning and 15min later I am good to go for number 2. So I need to make sure I eat them well in advance before departure time. If I ate 20 I think I would assplode.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 28, 2014 11:44 am

Squashed wrote:
CXCommuter wrote: Dinner last night was home made Shabu Shabu- Japanese Hotpot with ~200gr each of sliced low grade wagyu (ie minimal fat) and lots of veges/mushrooms and some noodles.
Wagyu beef has the highest fat content out of any lean beef. All the white marbling is fat :)
Wagyu covers several breeds of Japanese cattle, not all breeds are predisposed to marbling- in addition the marbling depends upon diet and activity- as I pointed out this was low grade Wagyu- looks like normal beef- virtually no marbling but very tender. Have had very high grade Wagyu (think $200kg) in Japan- hard to find the meat in the fat but OMGosh it is delicious (portion control is also easy at $200kg).

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed May 28, 2014 12:17 pm

skull wrote: Bananas really turn my bowels on. I would have 2 before riding in the morning and 15min later I am good to go for number 2. So I need to make sure I eat them well in advance before departure time. If I ate 20 I think I would assplode.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
It all a matter of acclimatising the body. We need very different intestinal bacteria to predominate for certain diets. Fruit is often blamed for bowel explosions when the cause is not the fruit itself, but rather the intestinal environment we put the fruit into. A bowel cleanse is sometimes a good internal spring clean. My father-in-law blames figs for causing him to get the runs, but I'd say it is his bloated gut trying to equalise and neutralise all the stored waste and a fig happens to dislodge enough the set off a chain reaction.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 28, 2014 12:18 pm

march83 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I don't think you can gain weight if you just overeat fruit and veg though because their energy density is too low.
challenge accepted. I'm just ducking out to stock up on avocados and coconuts.
Avocados maybe but good luck being able to buy and eat enough to make you fat. Coconut no (unless it's green). If you get a brown coconut, it's so hard to chew that you could eat it all day and still not overeat.

Avocado is interesting with an energy density of 829kJ/100g (1). You might think that is really energy dense. Whereas (for example) Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate packs a whopping 2240kj/100g (2). There is 2.7 times more energy in Cadbury chocolate than in avocado. That means you would need to eat 270g of avocado to get the same amount of energy. I know I can eat 100g of chocolate but I'm not sure about 270g of avocado because I haven't tried it. Can you do it? Would it cost a lot? Would it make you feel sick? Not sure. I bet it's cheaper to buy 100g of chocolate than 270g of avocado at most places. That's the whole point. Energy is cheap. Nutrients are not cheap.

(1) http://www.fineli.fi/food.php?foodid=11057&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2) http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/cal ... xhdGU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Wed May 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Peanut butter is a nicely energy desnse food too - higher again than the chococlate. Well, just nuts in general I guess.

Putting down 200 or 300g of peanut butter with a spoon, as I occasionally have the urge to do, is a sure way to bump the energy intake. Nutella is great too, just has a lot more sugar :)

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 28, 2014 2:00 pm

durianrider wrote:Lulz at people thinking there is starvation situations in Thailand. Go to the Issan region and look how slim and beautiful the women are there. From behind you can't tell if they are 18 or 48.
There are slim and beautiful women in Australia and the USA too - would you say then that means that we don't have an obesity problem? Picking and choosing random points to "support" your claims doesn't make them any more legitimate.

I can understand why so many people dismiss you outright.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm

anttismo wrote:Peanut butter is a nicely energy desnse food too - higher again than the chococlate. Well, just nuts in general I guess.

Putting down 200 or 300g of peanut butter with a spoon, as I occasionally have the urge to do, is a sure way to bump the energy intake. Nutella is great too, just has a lot more sugar :)
Wow! I think I would feel sick if I ate 200g of peanut butter!!! :shock: Not sure about the nuts. I think macadamias are pretty fatty, so should be energy dense, but I can only eat a handful before I start feeling sick. I prefer almonds or cashews. I am running an analysis - baselining off butter, which should be reasonbly energy dense... not that I could sit down and eat 100g. Yuck!!! Ranked from highest to lowest:

Devondale, Butters: Our Australian Butter - 3020kJ/100g
Macadamia, dry roasted, no salt, edible portion - 3001kJ/100g
Kraft, Peanut Butter: Smooth - 2760kJ/100g
Almonds, dry roasted without salt - 2487kJ/100g
Cashews, dry roasted no salt - 2399kJ/100g
Cadbury, Chocolates: Bar, Dairy Milk, Original - 2220kJ/100g
Nutella, Hazelnut/Choc Spreads: Hazelnut Spread - 2175kJ/100g
Avocado, Hass, raw, edible portion - 855kJ/100g

(all values from http://www.calorieking.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I guess the point of all this is that you should watch your portion sizes of all of these. Eating 100g of any of them isn't recommended.

Now, back to getting fat on avocados. According to nutrition australia, average kilojoules for an adult male 19-50 years (me) is 11 550 kj (of course depending on exercise levels etc.) But taking that as a guide, I would need over 1.3kg of avocado just to meet my energy requirements. That is a LOT of avocado. It would take even more to gain weight. I'm thinking this might not be possible (cost aside) because that amount of avocado would likely make me feel quite sick.
<removed by request>

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 pm

durianrider wrote: How about these high carb low fat eating nations then?

Indonesia
India
Japan
China
Kenya
Eritrea
Thailand
Cambodia
Myanmar
Korea
Coronary Heart Disease

Deaths per 100,000/rank/country

165.5/37/India
164.7/39/Myanmar
150.8/51/Indonesia
128.8/71/Cambodia
101.2/108/Kenya
99.6/113/Eritrea
87.1/128/Thailand
79.7/137/China
72.7/162/Australia
34.7/189/South Korea
31.2/190/Japan

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 28, 2014 3:32 pm

simonn wrote:Coronary Heart Disease

165.5/37/India
72.7/162/Australia
31.2/190/Japan
Just picking 3 out of interest. I wonder how much primary care plays a factor in this? Also, is India so high because of lack or primary care or lifestyle factors? Was India historically high or has the increase in the consumption of ultra-processed foods played a role in an increase in CHD?

I think it's pretty obvious that many Australians are overweight. I wonder if primary care plays a role in the low number reflected in the stats? Example: my flatmate had a very serious heart attack but from first symptoms to out of surgery was less than an hour. That's pretty amazing and left no long term damage. According to the docs his heart attack would most likely have been fatal if not treated quickly.

Japan seems low. Does this relate to the amount of seafood that the Japanese eat? Is it because they do not habitually overeat? Or is it a coding issue where the data is simply not collected or reported the same as other countries? Check out this paper by the WHO "Miscoding and misclassification of ischaemic heart disease mortality" It is estimated Japan's stats could be out by up to 30% due to "the likely under-registration of IHD in countries such as Japan" due to miscoding. Interesting.

http://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, we think Japan has a low rate of CHD but it could just be the way they report deaths.
<removed by request>

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Thu May 29, 2014 1:47 am

CXCommuter wrote: Wagyu covers several breeds of Japanese cattle, not all breeds are predisposed to marbling- in addition the marbling depends upon diet and activity- as I pointed out this was low grade Wagyu- looks like normal beef- virtually no marbling but very tender. Have had very high grade Wagyu (think $200kg) in Japan- hard to find the meat in the fat but OMGosh it is delicious (portion control is also easy at $200kg).
lol :)

------------------------
For anyone eating nuts, raw nuts are more nutritious and easier for you to digest. Cooked nuts need to be chewed up really well, or blended into a powder to get the most out of them.
Cooked nuts have a higher fat content too, however the fats in nuts is mainly unsaturated so it's good for you. But cooking nuts also increases the saturated fats a small amount.

raw cashews should be avoided.

Never feed cashews or macadamia nuts to dogs. They are really bad for dogs.

------------------------
Casual Cyclist hit it on the head with coronary heart disease in different countries. A number of the listed countries have very poor medical infrastructure in many places and people do die from other diseases and issues before heart disease can kill them.

Japan has one of the highest rates of stomach cancer. So whilst they may have healthy hearts from meditation, seafood, etc, they die from stomach cancer instead.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri May 30, 2014 10:12 pm

WarbyD wrote:
durianrider wrote:Lulz at people thinking there is starvation situations in Thailand. Go to the Issan region and look how slim and beautiful the women are there. From behind you can't tell if they are 18 or 48.
There are slim and beautiful women in Australia and the USA too - would you say then that means that we don't have an obesity problem? Picking and choosing random points to "support" your claims doesn't make them any more legitimate.

I can understand why so many people dismiss you outright.
Majority of slim girls in Australia have eating disorders. I know cos I work helping many daily. Girls in Issan don't have eating disorders as their traditional rice diet keeps themselves slim.

Same in running circles. When I was at the AIS in 2001 we had chubby nutritionist telling us what to eat. Their diet is the obesity diet. No wonder so many of the guys and gals had eating disorders cos they were following this high protein AIS diet and trying to get super lean but bulking up too much and looking bloated on the start lines.

Switch to Kenya where its corn, sugar, corn, banana, sugar, rice, corn, sugar and the kids are race weight all year long with no pills or bulimic habits. They don't have nutritionists either lol! Just chefs at the camp to make sure the ugali is flowing and bananas ripe!

So yeah, there you go. Do some travel on your bike internationally, spend time with world class athletes and coaches, spend time with models (Ive dated my share) and you will see what things people do to get the results they get.

I love how people want to hold onto the theory they can guzzle KFC and look like a lean Issan thai man or lady who lives on white rice, corn, sugar and fruits as their staple caloric intake. No $7000 carbon bikes either. ;)
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri May 30, 2014 10:19 pm

simonn wrote:
durianrider wrote: How about these high carb low fat eating nations then?

Indonesia
India
Japan
China
Kenya
Eritrea
Thailand
Cambodia
Myanmar
Korea
Coronary Heart Disease

165.5/37/India
164.7/39/Myanmar
150.8/51/Indonesia
128.8/71/Cambodia
101.2/108/Kenya
99.6/113/Eritrea
87.1/128/Thailand
79.7/137/China
72.7/162/Australia
34.7/189/South Korea
31.2/190/Japan

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a joke.

Love how you picked the poor nations where if someone has heart disease, they lack medical treatment for pace makers,ambulances, medications, blood thinners, stents, by pass surgery etc. My grandpa had 5 heart attacks before his final and fatal one. Each time the ambo's saved him. My uncle had one and got a stent put in. Would be dead with out it he reckons. If you have angina pain in the west, you have access to many treatment options. If you are in the developing nations you most likely can't even afford a doctor and if you can, the medications are too expensive. Triple by pass surgery or pace makers? Stents? Sorry mate, not on 5$ a day income.. You will die early and give your nation a 'bad rap' regarding fatal heart disease.

If you eat lots of meat and saturated fat in those poor nations cos you earn a few $ more than the guys that can only afford rice but you clog an atery then you sure as heck are NOT going to be able to afford triple by pass surgery like the 'robust' aussies can. Hang on, thats the tax payers funding that stuff so we can clean their arteries, slap em on the back and send em down to the hospital cafeteria for a ham and cheese croissant. Hold the apple though! Fruit makes you fat!

So you base your 'fat = healthy' on some dodged stats that forget to mention how many BILLIONS are spent on saving these saturated fat lovers in western nations so they can continue to damage their endothelium cells. If you spend BILLIONS in Australia saving the arteries from the guys at the pub then yeah, you will have 'lower' rates of fatal heart disease than nations where most people don't have access to the BILLIONS of tax payers money spent to save em from themselves.

Next fallacy to debunk. :x
Vegan since 2001.