8 bananas?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

8 bananas?

Postby zill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm

I am trying to lose some weight and recently is having a smoothie (for lunch) consisting of about 8 bananas and a few strawberries plus some milk. Nothing more added.

Is that a good idea? Is that an overload of bananas? Are there any bad health effects from eating so many bananas?

nescius

Re: 8 bananas?

Postby nescius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Is this a joke? 8 bananas sounds excessive for lunch if you are trying to lose weight, would you sit down and eat 8 bananas with a glass of milk and a few strawberries? I wouldn't, that's got to be nearly 1000 Calories (4000kj)! For reference a McDonalds big mac is about 500 Calories.

If you want to lose weight using diet then use something like MyFitnessPal to track your intake so you have some idea of how much you are eating.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Wow... Firstly, Banana's are not cheap. At 8 a day, surely it'd start getting cost prohibitive (if not anything else) after a little while?

Is there a reason you are having to / wanting to use so many?
Eg - is it because you need that many for it to taste good, or you need that many otherwise you are hungry?
Surely it'd be a pretty thick smoothie with that much banana? I mean, that'd fill up a blender on its own, you wouldnt need much milk...

Taste? why not throw a bit of honey in? If you are generally needing that many because you are just hungry, maybe try packing the smoothie out with more milk or some low fat yoghurt. Throw a bit of protein powder in with it?

I have no scientific backing on this (havent bothered looking), but I wouldnt think you'd get any more benefit using 8 Banana's than using say 2 or 3? Hope there are no side effects from potassium overload or something... I also dont think it'd do too much for your weight loss... I mean, in a normal situation could you comfortably sit down and generally eat 8 Banana's? I couldnt.

Other than that, I like the odd Banana, but if I was having 8 a day, I know id get over them pretty quickly!
Last edited by Dirty32 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm

zill wrote:I am trying to lose some weight and recently is having a smoothie (for lunch) consisting of about 8 bananas and a few strawberries plus some milk. Nothing more added.

Is that a good idea? Is that an overload of bananas? Are there any bad health effects from eating so many bananas?
I am sure there are.
You can die from eating or drinking too much of anything.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:06 pm

I would love to have that smoothy for lunch, but you are probably not going to lose weight that way.

RonK

8 bananas?

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Wouldn't an 8 banana smoothie be high in calories?

Hmmm, let's see - a banana has around 100, so your smoothie would have 800 calories. Not sure that you will lose much weight.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:39 pm

8 bananas a day? You are not even trying. You should be eating at least 30 bananas a day! :wink:
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm

1 banana is the right amount in that smoothie... where'd you get a blender that big from?

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Also, whats the obsession with banana's?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm

8 banana's with milk is a good way to put on weight.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:16 pm

mitchy_ wrote:8 banana's with milk is a good way to put on weight.
Unless your a fruitarian...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Parker wrote:
The milk is the problem :mrgreen:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Parker wrote:
The milk is the problem :mrgreen:
True. Milk isn't fruit.
<removed by request>

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Low hanging cow fruit juice.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Search Durianrider on YouTube. He eats 30 bananas a day and ride 6000km in January.
Replace your milk with fruit juice. Nothing too tart. I also use frozen blueberries and mangos.
Nothing wrong with eating that many bananas but I only use 2 in a smoothie.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Serious question, why replace the milk with fruit juice? Obviously there's vitamin c etc but also a fair bit of sugar.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Trying to lose weight - don't touch fruit after a meal.

Fruit causes a sugar spike which makes you hungry. Try to eat some fruit just before a meal, (i.e. at 11am or 5pm) Then smash out the meal.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:53 pm

OR don't eat the meal, just have the fruit.
Plenty of ways to skin a cat

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Serious question, why replace the milk with fruit juice? Obviously there's vitamin c etc but also a fair bit of sugar.
Milk has fat in it.
Seriously though, check out Durianrider on YouTube for an alternative to all the no carbs fad diets out there. He lives on a high carb low fat diet.
I'm no expert but believe it has merit. When I try it, it works for me and I feel great, with a lot of energy. But it's hard to maintain with the family. Not everyone wants to eat a whole lot of fruit for lunch.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 pm

toolonglegs wrote:OR don't eat the meal, just have the fruit.
Plenty of ways to skin a cat
+1
It's not the apple you had after dinner that is making you fat. It's the steak and fried chips. Mmmmm Steak.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 pm

SuperSix wrote:It's not the apple you had after dinner that is making you fat. It's the steak and fried chips. Mmmmm Steak.
Yup... well apart from the steak :mrgreen:

We all know about Durian rider here ... he has trolled this forum many times before. He isn't raw anymore, plenty of other vegans on this forum who give better advice.

OP... don't get put off the big ( 8 banana + fruit ) smoothie, cut out the milk... a bit of water or juice will do, bananas liquify well, chuck in some dates etc. It goes through you very quickly... your bowels will thank you :mrgreen: . Organic bananas ... lot less sprays apparently. Yes it is high in calories, just keep your other meals in check. The calories come with a lot of bulk so you feel full... unlike have two bigmacs where you just crave more. Drink lots of water... takes a lot of fluid to process all those carbs.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Sorry to go off topic. But can I ask about blenders? I have a generic $40ish blender. It works ok but struggles at times to make a smoothie. If I put in firmer things in like dates all I get is chopped up dates in my smoothie.
So are the $200+ professional style blenders that much better? Would I get a smoother smoothie with the better machines? Or are they just marketing?

phineas

8 bananas?

Postby phineas » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 pm

SuperSix wrote:Sorry to go off topic. But can I ask about blenders? I have a generic $40ish blender. It works ok but struggles at times to make a smoothie. If I put in firmer things in like dates all I get is chopped up dates in my smoothie.
So are the $200+ professional style blenders that much better? Would I get a smoother smoothie with the better machines? Or are they just marketing?
I have a Thermomix. It's awesome. But really really pricey (almost $2000).

In my banana smoothies I use frozen bananas, and the Thermomix goes through them no problems. I actually add oats before the bananas, and mill it into a fine powder.

I believe Target sell some kind of Thermomix copy for around $200. No idea how much better it is than something cheaper.

However Thermomixes and their copies are meant for much more than smoothies. So if all you want is to make smoothies, look for something geared toward smoothies and juices only.

I know large health food shops often sells good machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am

Dirty32 wrote:Wow... Firstly, Banana's are not cheap. At 8 a day, surely it'd start getting cost prohibitive (if not anything else) after a little while?

Is there a reason you are having to / wanting to use so many?
Eg - is it because you need that many for it to taste good, or you need that many otherwise you are hungry?
Surely it'd be a pretty thick smoothie with that much banana? I mean, that'd fill up a blender on its own, you wouldnt need much milk...

Taste? why not throw a bit of honey in? If you are generally needing that many because you are just hungry, maybe try packing the smoothie out with more milk or some low fat yoghurt. Throw a bit of protein powder in with it?

I have no scientific backing on this (havent bothered looking), but I wouldnt think you'd get any more benefit using 8 Banana's than using say 2 or 3? Hope there are no side effects from potassium overload or something... I also dont think it'd do too much for your weight loss... I mean, in a normal situation could you comfortably sit down and generally eat 8 Banana's? I couldnt.

Other than that, I like the odd Banana, but if I was having 8 a day, I know id get over them pretty quickly!

Yes, it is the fact that I seem to get hungry easily by just eating a banana and strawberry smoothie. The liquid nature of the thing makes it seem like I haven't eaten a meal at all. Hence the high number of bananas. I have actually lost weight after starting this smoothie diet for lunch only. I am only a medium tall person so I don't know why many of you are saying that 8 bananas is too many.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:12 am

nescius wrote:Is this a joke? 8 bananas sounds excessive for lunch if you are trying to lose weight, would you sit down and eat 8 bananas with a glass of milk and a few strawberries? I wouldn't, that's got to be nearly 1000 Calories (4000kj)! For reference a McDonalds big mac is about 500 Calories.
I'm serious!

Is that why a big mac doesn't make me full either!

I once had a medium big mac meal when I was 8 years old and recall it to be a statisfying (not overly full) meal. However, I did weigh 52kg at the time - obese for an 8 year old.
Last edited by zill on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.