8 bananas?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Calvin27

Re: 8 bananas?

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am

zill wrote: Yes, it is the fact that I seem to get hungry easily by just eating a banana and strawberry smoothie. The liquid nature of the thing makes it seem like I haven't eaten a meal at all. Hence the high number of bananas. I have actually lost weight after starting this smoothie diet for lunch only. I am only a medium tall person so I don't know why many of you are saying that 8 bananas is too many.
It's not the fact that it's a liquid, it's the sugars in the fruit. Don't touch fruit if you're dieting. The sugars make you feel more hungry than if you just ate nothing! There is a reason why high protein diets work - they make you feel satisfied.

Go for the steak but give the chips and coke a miss. Go for potato mash instead. The starch does what typical carbs do keeping you feeling full - not that I have a problem with crabs but a lot of people do.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 am

Can anybody recommend other fruits that are filling (enough to have as a meal) but also taste good?

At the moment, I am just trying to avoid as much processed foods as much as possible. It is working as I am losing weight slowly. Off course, I also ride at least an hour each day.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am

Have you thought about vegetables? LIke obviously you know about blenders, have you thought of added vegetables into the blender and blending?

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am

Calvin27 wrote:not that I have a problem with crabs but a lot of people do.
He... he... he he he he.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am

I think the chemist might be able to do something about that :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:22 am

zill wrote:Can anybody recommend other fruits that are filling (enough to have as a meal) but also taste good?

At the moment, I am just trying to avoid as much processed foods as much as possible. It is working as I am losing weight slowly. Off course, I also ride at least an hour each day.
The problem with fruits is their natural sugar content. They are good for you, but for losing weight you would be far better served to go for vegetables. Think salads etc. Your weight loss would likely progress better if you limit your fruit consumption rather than concentrate on it.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

zill wrote: It is working as I am losing weight slowly.
This is a good thing. Don't be in a hurry. It probably took years to put on the excess kilos. Losing weight slowly allows your body to better adapt to the many changes (both physical, mental and endochrinological) and more likely to lead to your healthy lifestyle becoming habit, rather than a fad.

Also, if the extra exercise is new to you, it's likely you're losing fat and putting on muscle - your improved health is hidden from the scales, but not from the mirror or circumference. Don't be discouraged from the many weight plateaus you'll experience along the way.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:11 pm

zill wrote:
I am only a medium tall person so I don't know why many of you are saying that 8 bananas is too many.
Do you think you could normally eat 8 Banana's for lunch, every day in general?
Im a pretty big guy - 6"3 and 95 odd kg's - I couldnt eat 8 Banana's for lunch, no chance.

I can kinda see where your are coming from, but I dont think you'd be any more or less hungry if you only used 3 Bananas and more milk / yoghurt in your smoothie, than 8 Bananas with less milk / yoghurt.

I know its a little bit different, but if you went and ordered a smoothie at Boost juice, or a local cafe or juice bar and ordered a Banana smoothie, there is noooooo chance they would throw 8 Bananas in. I dont even get how a blender would fit 8 Bananas in it?

Anyways, listen to what the others are saying. I applaud you for trying, but I personally think its too many Bananas to add to your smoothie, and it's not necessarily filling you up any more. Good luck with it!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Unless you're talking tiny little undersized lady finger bananas. I'm 6'2 with a bottomless pit for a stomach but i'd only have 5 or 6 bananas in one go.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm

At boost juice you're lucky to get half a banana.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

And that is exactly what I am saying... You'd be lucky to get a full Banana in your smoothie if you bought one. After adding another one or 2, I doubt adding another 5 would make a big difference to how hungry you felt.

I would think it is costing you more than it needs, without adding any benefit.

As mentioned earlier, I eat pretty well and I doubt that I could eat any more than 4 Banana's at lunch time, if I wasnt eating anything else.
I just cant see the point in eating 8.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Try eating apples and oranges a lot less in calories than bananas and milk.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Apples and oranges .... Yummy.
But seriously you guys are a bit soft if you can't down an 8 banana smoothie ... I usually do 5 or 6 with lots of berries etc. it ain't that hard. Obviously if you go to boost they are not going to put much of anything in it... That's how they make their money.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:20 pm

phineas wrote:I have a Thermomix. It's awesome.
The Thermomix is also good for making carb balls to take on long rides...well that was the angle that the wife used to justify buying it, and smoothies are much smoother than using the cheap blender at work
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Apples and oranges .... Yummy.
But seriously you guys are a bit soft if you can't down an 8 banana smoothie ... I usually do 5 or 6 with lots of berries etc. it ain't that hard. Obviously if you go to boost they are not going to put much of anything in it... That's how they make their money.
I could easily down it and love doing so. Unfortunately, this makes my belly soft.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Big fan of the smoothie. After a ride I often make one with 8-10 bananas, 250 grams of frozen raspberries, tablespoon of honey, 200 mls (approx) rice milk. Save about one third for later in the day.

Constantheadwind

Postby Constantheadwind » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 am

Hey Zill
On this forum you will get varied responses to your smoothie question.
You have to keep in mind that all riders are not alike. Their nutrient strategies vary to achieve their goals. It can get confusing reading lots of differing points of view. If you're trying to consciously lose weight, then I think you need to count calories. Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's a really good application to help you make informed decisions.

PlantPowered

Postby PlantPowered » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I have been eating 10 to twelve peices of fruit a day as part of my vegan diet for the past year. I have dropped 20kg and am now the lightest fittest happiest and healthiest version of myself I have ever been. Turn 30 this year btw. The only exercise I have been doing is cycling and not great amounts. The idea that sugar in fruit maoes you fat is ridiculous. Our bodys run on glucose. I suggest you all do a bit of reading before you tell people that.

cheers
Last edited by PlantPowered on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlantPowered

Postby PlantPowered » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Constantheadwind wrote:Hey Zill
On this forum you will get varied responses to your smoothie question.
You have to keep in mind that all riders are not alike. Their nutrient strategies vary to achieve their goals. It can get confusing reading lots of differing points of view. If you're trying to consciously lose weight, then I think you need to count calories. Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's a really good application to help you make informed decisions.
Someone who is trying to loose weight needs more calories than someone who isn't. They use more energy to just live day to day due to more weight carrying around. Its all about the type of calories your eating

PlantPowered

Postby PlantPowered » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
zill wrote: Yes, it is the fact that I seem to get hungry easily by just eating a banana and strawberry smoothie. The liquid nature of the thing makes it seem like I haven't eaten a meal at all. Hence the high number of bananas. I have actually lost weight after starting this smoothie diet for lunch only. I am only a medium tall person so I don't know why many of you are saying that 8 bananas is too many.
It's not the fact that it's a liquid, it's the sugars in the fruit. Don't touch fruit if you're dieting. The sugars make you feel more hungry than if you just ate nothing! There is a reason why high protein diets work - they make you feel satisfied.

Go for the steak but give the chips and coke a miss. Go for potato mash instead. The starch does what typical carbs do keeping you feeling full - not that I have a problem with crabs but a lot of people do.

Your telling him to not eat fruit because of tue sugar and have a steak instead. How about all the saturated fat in the steak or the butter and cream in the mash?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 pm

DR, is that you...?

PlantPowered

Postby PlantPowered » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:45 pm

lobstermash wrote:DR, is that you...?
HAHAHA no its not. Wondered if that woukd be asked. Just a bloke who initally lost 40kg ajd struggled to keep it off for 10yrs eating "healthy" and has now lost another 20 and not worried about calorie counting for 12 months :-)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:19 pm

PlantPowered wrote:
lobstermash wrote:DR, is that you...?
HAHAHA no its not. Wondered if that woukd be asked. Just a bloke who initally lost 40kg ajd struggled to keep it off for 10yrs eating "healthy" and has now lost another 20 and not worried about calorie counting for 12 months :-)
Your lucky he hasn't seen this thread or OH BOY!
besides the point I dieted quite a bit also You need to have a balanced diet your body still needs other foods that have minerals and vitamins that it requires to stay in good health (Repairing itself and protecting against illness). You need to cut down on excess Calories slowly so your body starts using your fat supplies up. A 8 banana smoothie at lunch + your other meals not a good way to loose weight I think .

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Calvin27 wrote:It's not the fact that it's a liquid, it's the sugars in the fruit. Don't touch fruit if you're dieting. The sugars make you feel more hungry than if you just ate nothing! There is a reason why high protein diets work - they make you feel satisfied.
I don't agree with this at all. When I lost the most amount of weight, I was eating a LOT of fruit. I got up to about 5-7 serves a day. It didn't make me feel full at all. Of course, I switched from cake, chocolate and lollies to fruit so my total calories dropped. I gained weight again when I stopped eating fruit and started eating cake again. I would prefer to sit down to a big bowl of watermelon instead of cake. No one ever got fat eating watermelon.

I have seen high fat/low carb promoded but not high protein... that's bad for your kidneys.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/natio ... s-detailed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 pm

zill wrote:Can anybody recommend other fruits that are filling (enough to have as a meal) but also taste good?

Not a fruit but a vegetable. I found baked sweet potato very helpful when losing weight.
<removed by request>