8 bananas?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
simonn

Re: 8 bananas?

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm

PlantPowered wrote: Your telling him to not eat fruit because of tue sugar and have a steak instead. How about all the saturated fat in the steak or the butter and cream in the mash?
I'm vegetarian, but... fat and protein have a higher fullness factor, so you can eat less calories and feel more full. This is actually one of the things which stops me going vegan, the other being social (not saying vegans are anti-social, it just makes it really hard to have a social life - at my age all socializing seems to revolve around food).

If recent-ish (Yudkin was going on about it in the 80s) research is correct, saturated fat is not intrinsically bad, it's just high in calories. There are better fats to eat though (avocados and uncooked olive oil for the win!). Apparently dairy has inflammatory effects too - I'm no stinkin' dietician or nutritionist, so I am only repeating what I have read.

In any case, some protein - I'm veggie so a square of tofu or quorn burger, a mostly leafy green salad (not much almost nutrition free lettuce) and a half or quarter avocado sometimes seems to be a good lunch. If I go to the gym at lunch, I'll usually have a protein shake as well.

If you (zill) bonk while riding then add some carbs, but with an hour day it will probably only take a few months for this to not happen any more.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: I have seen high fat/low carb promoded but not high protein... that's bad for your kidneys.
It's actually quite difficult to do the below without a few protein shakes a day and without eating excessive carbs and fat, particularly if you are vegetarian/vegan.
protein intake above about 1.5-1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight is not only pointless, but potentially harmful.
http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/natio ... s-detailed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also do not see any references to actual science in the above link that you provided.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:35 pm

simonn wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: I have seen high fat/low carb promoded but not high protein... that's bad for your kidneys.
It's actually quite difficult to do the below without a few protein shakes a day and without eating excessive carbs and fat, particularly if you are vegetarian/vegan.
Agreed. I don't think the OP was advocating a vegetarian or vegan diet.
simonn wrote:http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/natio ... s-detailed
I also do not see any references to actual science in the above link that you provided.
Nope. Nutrition Australia is not strong on linking to science. They are very much of the "trust us we're experts" school. I don't really see the point of linking to studies or reviews. For any study or review you post, I'm could probably link to a study or review showing pretty much the opposite. For example, generally the "actual science" would tell you htat vegetarians have lower rates of cancer. However this study indicates the opposite.
Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment.
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObj ... tation=PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this one indicates:
There is limited evidence of an association between vegetarian diets and cancer prevention.
and:
While vegetarian diets have not shown any adverse effects on health, restrictive and monotonous vegetarian diets may result in nutrient deficiencies with deleterious effects on health. For this reason, appropriate advice is important to ensure a vegetarian diet is nutritionally adequate especially for vulnerable groups.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22717188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I'm vegetarian and staying that way. The "actual science" won't convince me to start eating meat.
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:45 pm

SuperSix wrote:Search Durianrider on YouTube. He eats 30 bananas a day and ride 6000km in January.
Replace your milk with fruit juice. Nothing too tart. I also use frozen blueberries and mangos.
Nothing wrong with eating that many bananas but I only use 2 in a smoothie.
You seem to be new to DurianRider. Before searching YouTube, I suggest that you do a simple search on this forum. Your search will return heaps of scorn for his arguments, also against his methods/credibility/good faith and factoids. Thankfully he found a forum that is largely made up of people who want real comment and knowledge unproductive to his rants and somewhat uncomfortable. On the plus side Harley is still around and contirbuting to less contentious and dogmatic matters like product discussion.

Ignore any temptation to use DR claims to support an argument of ANY kind. Including his self-trumpeted Strava claim to fame.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:31 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
SuperSix wrote:Search Durianrider on YouTube. He eats 30 bananas a day and ride 6000km in January.
Replace your milk with fruit juice. Nothing too tart. I also use frozen blueberries and mangos.
Nothing wrong with eating that many bananas but I only use 2 in a smoothie.
You seem to be new to DurianRider. Before searching YouTube, I suggest that you do a simple search on this forum. Your search will return heaps of scorn for his arguments, also against his methods/credibility/good faith and factoids. Thankfully he found a forum that is largely made up of people who want real comment and knowledge unproductive to his rants and somewhat uncomfortable. On the plus side Harley is still around and contirbuting to less contentious and dogmatic matters like product discussion.

Ignore any temptation to use DR claims to support an argument of ANY kind. Including his self-trumpeted Strava claim to fame.
He's quite a character. I don't take his word as gospel but think his high carb low fat diet has merit. I don't have the money or discipline to live it though.
I think his videos of him harassing 13 year old girls at McDonalds is just off. I wouldn't be happy for him to talk to my daughter like that. Not cool DR.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm

SuperSix wrote: He's quite a character. I don't take his word as gospel but think his high carb low fat diet has merit. I don't have the money or discipline to live it though.
Sigh. A realistic, maintainable (in the long term), healthy lifestyle is something that you can just live, not something that requires money and discipline to live it. Ok, sure you need money and discipline but not THAT much money or THAT much discipline. It should be relatively easy. The biggest argument against DR is DR… he could not maintain his own fantasy lifestyle in the long term. That speaks volumes really.

I have lived a healthy and realistic lifestyle and it was relatively easy. It just took planning (the major effort), a little preparation time, less money than processed food and a little discipline.

This is what I found: if I make my food ahead of time and have it with me, I will eat healthy food and not be tempted to eat junk.

Where I came unstuck was renovating a house as well as working full time for more than four months. Getting up at seven and getting home at nine at night after working and renovating all day left me with not enough energy to prepare healthy food. I ate too much processed food and gained weight.

I am transitioning back to healthy food again and even though I am only part of the way there, I have already lost a couple of kilos.

Once I am in full swing, it is a pretty easy and enjoyable lifestyle to live and maintain long term.
<removed by request>

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:A realistic, maintainable (in the long term), healthy lifestyle is something that you can just live, not something that requires money and discipline to live it. Ok, sure you need money and discipline but not THAT much money or THAT much discipline. It should be relatively easy.
It should be relatively easy, but I've found once you start to change, some (most?) people often don't like it and some of them may try to make life more difficult for you. It's also something that needs to be endured for at least 3 weeks to get used to the changes so the lifestyle becomes a habit. As for financial cost, it shouldn't be a problem unless you think you need to be a fruitarian, without chasing wholesale fruit prices IMO.
casual_cyclist wrote:The biggest argument against DR is DR… he could not maintain his own fantasy lifestyle in the long term. That speaks volumes really.
DR said in one of his videos (between the expletives) that one reason they wanted part of their diet to change was they were getting too lean, which is something that some have commented on in these forums.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 am

For the original poster. There are serious health implications if you eat too many bananas or tomatoes. These two fruits can lead to kidney disease in some people. One or two per day for the average person is fine. But in excessive amounts you could be in trouble. For more info on this, contact the kidney disease association.

You can eat as much fruit and vegetable matter as you like. Everyone should have at least 5 serves of plant matter per day, preferably more. However, plant matter does not make you feel full. Protein and fat make you feel full. But you want to eat unsaturated fat and low fat forms of protein. If you have some protein with each meal, you will eat less and feel fuller for longer because the protein and fats take longer to digest.

If you want to lose weight and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, reduce your processed carbohydrate intake. Processed carbs include rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, and anything made from flour. Complex carbohydrates are found in fruit, vegetables and nuts. Exercise is also an essential part of any weight loss program.

A drink I use to make in any blender available from any shop, including Target :) consisted of 6 raw English spinach plants, 2-3 cups of apple & guava fruit juice, 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Rinse the spinach and break off the roots. Throw the roots in the bin and put the leaf and stem into the blender. Add the fruit juice and olive oil. Put lid on blender and let it blend for a few minutes to break down the spinach stems. Drink while cold and keep in the fridge. Whilst this sounds gross, I found this to be a very refreshing drink in summer and it doesn't taste like grass :)

You can add blueberries or other types of berry if you like and you can use different fruit juices.
You can add 1/2 - 1 cup of raw nuts as well if you like. *NB* disregard nuts if you are allergic to them :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 am

Nobody wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:A realistic, maintainable (in the long term), healthy lifestyle is something that you can just live, not something that requires money and discipline to live it. Ok, sure you need money and discipline but not THAT much money or THAT much discipline. It should be relatively easy.
It should be relatively easy, but I've found once you start to change, some (most?) people often don't like it and some of them may try to make life more difficult for you. It's also something that needs to be endured for at least 3 weeks to get used to the changes so the lifestyle becomes a habit. As for financial cost, it shouldn't be a problem unless you think you need to be a fruitarian, without chasing wholesale fruit prices IMO.
My comments were directed to the fad that DR was peddling for a while... just eat fruit, nothing else. I can't see in any way that this would be healthy, sustainable in the long term or affordable. He marketed his crackpot scheme as 811rv but that was also a lie. 811rv includes green leafy vegetables, which makes it marginally more healthy but still not something I would recommend. People should eat raw food and cooked food. Not all raw, not all cooked. Just some of both.
Nobody wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:The biggest argument against DR is DR… he could not maintain his own fantasy lifestyle in the long term. That speaks volumes really.
DR said in one of his videos (between the expletives) that one reason they wanted part of their diet to change was they were getting too lean...
So basically, it is a starvation diet, not healthy, not sustainable.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Squashed wrote:You can eat as much fruit and vegetable matter as you like. Everyone should have at least 5 serves of plant matter per day, preferably more. However, plant matter does not make you feel full.
I don't find that at all but I do agree you should have fat and protein in every meal. Plants make me feel full. I can only eat a certain amount of baked sweet potato or pumpkin or a big plate of veggies before I feel full. It's certainly more filling than refined carbs.
Squashed wrote:Protein and fat make you feel full. But you want to eat unsaturated fat and low fat forms of protein. If you have some protein with each meal, you will eat less and feel fuller for longer because the protein and fats take longer to digest.
There is no reason to avoid saturated fat. The "science" on the link between saturated fat and heart disease was wrong.
The recent review I’m talking about is a meta-analysis published this week in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It pooled together data from 21 unique studies that included almost 350,000 people, about 11,000 of whom developed cardiovascular disease (CVD), tracked for an average of 14 years, and concluded that there is no relationship between the intake of saturated fat and the incidence of heart disease or stroke.

Let me put that in layperson’s terms for you: Eating saturated fat doesn’t cause heart disease.
http://chriskresser.com/new-study-puts- ... ase-coffin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Squashed wrote:If you want to lose weight and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, reduce your processed carbohydrate intake. Processed carbs include rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, and anything made from flour. Complex carbohydrates are found in fruit, vegetables and nuts. Exercise is also an essential part of any weight loss program.
Add refined sugar to your processed carbs list and I agree with that statement. Although, I found that cutting these out completely was not good for me, a couple of modest serves of refined carbs like pasta and rice are fine when losing weight. Exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle but exercise is not at all essential to lose weight. I lost the most amount of weight when I wasn't exercising, simply by controlling what I put in my mouth. Moderate your food intake, lose weight, no exercise required. However, exercise is required if you want to be healthy.
<removed by request>

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:42 pm

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:57 pm

The full episode:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1amh2 ... _lifestyle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

That's a good article.
But Chris’ low-fat diet could also have negative health consequences, so neither is good for you in the long run.
It's interesting. This doesn't support the view of some on here that we should eat low fat.
Their advice? Stay away from processed foods that are loaded with sugar and fat.
Good advice. Sugar in fruit and vegetables is good. Sugar in processed foods is not so good. Fat in avocados and nuts (for example) is good. Fat in processed foods, say like deep fried potato, is not so good.
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:30 pm

There is an article Monday in some NZ Health mag that is popping up in Google News and titled "Diet guru claims to eat 50 bananas a day". The guru is Freelee aka "banana girl".

I won't bother linking to it. However the article does not give a free ride to Freelees beliefs, indeed gives a fair bit of competing POV.

However, for the uniformed who do wander there, be aware that Freelee is the partner of DurianRider of "30 banana a day" notoriety. The cautions I and others have made re the utterances and rants and factoids of DurianRider also apply in some measure to Freelee.

FYI.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:There is an article Monday in some NZ Health mag that is popping up in Google News and titled "Diet guru claims to eat 50 bananas a day". The guru is Freelee aka "banana girl".
But her eccentric regime has been slammed by dietitians.
Unsurprising.

Massive rant against those two.. warning, contains frequent course language...

http://strengthinconfidence.com/aussie- ... n-youtube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don’t listen to what this woman has to say, and don’t get sucked in by her and her beta male boyfriend‘s misleading video titles. I guarantee you they’re !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. Her [] implants aren’t real, she gets B12 injections and uses everything she can to get views.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Her implants aren't real

So you can get imaginary implants :mrgreen: .

I don't follow either... but the push now is on for "raw till 4" I notice. I actually quite like that and stick to it most days. Been back on CalKing for a while... especially on non cycling days. Yesterday was a cycling day and I had downed 2000 Kcal before lunch from raw only... pretty easy for me I am afraid. I do like cordial in my bottles so that was my slip up after lunch ( and the 20 dates ) . Starving by dinner though, but dinner is the one meal I can control my hunger for some reason :lol: .
My big problem is the non riding days!.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

These two are brilliant. Love watching their kids' show on ABC with my boys. They make health science interesting and approachable.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Squashed wrote:You can eat as much fruit and vegetable matter as you like. Everyone should have at least 5 serves of plant matter per day, preferably more. However, plant matter does not make you feel full.
casual_cyclist wrote: I don't find that at all but I do agree you should have fat and protein in every meal. Plants make me feel full. I can only eat a certain amount of baked sweet potato or pumpkin or a big plate of veggies before I feel full. It's certainly more filling than refined carbs.
I wish plant matter filled me up. I can eat fruit continuously and still feel hungry :) Having said that tho, if I have a teaspoon of olive oil or some flax seed oil with it, I do feel full after just a couple of pieces. :)

-----------------------------------------------
casual_cyclist wrote: There is no reason to avoid saturated fat. The "science" on the link between saturated fat and heart disease was wrong.
This is of interest to me because we have all been taught saturated fats are bad fats. We are also told to eat fruit and nuts. Yet nuts have saturated fats in. I always found this contradictory and wondered if there are different saturated fats, just like there are different types of cholesterol.
Eg: are saturated fats in nuts different from saturated fat in meat?

-----------------------------------------------
Squashed wrote:If you want to lose weight and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, reduce your processed carbohydrate intake. Processed carbs include rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, and anything made from flour. Complex carbohydrates are found in fruit, vegetables and nuts.
casual_cyclist wrote: Add refined sugar to your processed carbs list and I agree with that statement. Although, I found that cutting these out completely was not good for me, a couple of modest serves of refined carbs like pasta and rice are fine when losing weight.
Yes sorry, I should have mentioned refined sugar too, thanks for that :)
Some carbs are fine but most people over do it when it comes to processed carbs. I had been eating huge amounts of processed/ refined carbs for years due to the riding I did. However, a few years ago I developed heart disease and went through some quite traumatic experiences and have been unwell ever since. Towards the end of last year I was feeling very unwell and use to blow up like a balloon whenever I ate processed carbs.

Long story short, the doctors didn't know what was wrong so in January I just gave up processed carbs completely and ate meat, fruit and nuts. My insides settled down very quickly, I was able to drop my stomach and heart medication and I have managed to increase my average and top cycling speed without suffering as much chest pain. I still have a limit with chest pain coming on but there has been an improvement, and I still have heart disease. But dropping the carbs made a noticeable improvement. However, my blood sugar is now increasing. The doctor is monitoring it closely but without simple carbs in my diet, my blood sugar has started to increase. This is confirmed by the video from the Two Doctors Experiment, (great video by the way) whereby the doctor without carbs had an increased blood sugar level at the end of the experiment, which was caused by lack of easily digested sugars and his body’s response to this.

Moving on from this, I have recently started to add some processed carbs back into my diet and so far things are ok. Further testing and monitoring by the doc is required to see how this goes. But basically some processed carbs are needed and complex carbs are fine. But most people need to reduce the processed carbs they eat and increase the plant matter. And some fat is fine but don’t over do it :)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:There is an article Monday in some NZ Health mag that is popping up in Google News and titled "Diet guru claims to eat 50 bananas a day". The guru is Freelee aka "banana girl".

I won't bother linking to it. However the article does not give a free ride to Freelees beliefs, indeed gives a fair bit of competing POV.

However, for the uniformed who do wander there, be aware that Freelee is the partner of DurianRider of "30 banana a day" notoriety. The cautions I and others have made re the utterances and rants and factoids of DurianRider also apply in some measure to Freelee.

FYI.
Maybe they are trying to start a banana craze because they own or run a banana plantation.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Squashed wrote:Some carbs are fine but most people over do it when it comes to processed carbs. I had been eating huge amounts of processed/ refined carbs for years due to the riding I did. However, a few years ago I developed heart disease and went through some quite traumatic experiences and have been unwell ever since. Towards the end of last year I was feeling very unwell and use to blow up like a balloon whenever I ate processed carbs.
It's really easy to eat processed carbs. I can down a massive amount if Eat a nice big bowl of pasta with bread and finish it off with a nice piece of cake. That is way too much refined carbs. When I lost the most amount of weight I was only eating refined carbs for dinner - main meal - and fruit for desert, not cake! That worked out well for me.
Squashed wrote:Long story short, the doctors didn't know what was wrong so in January I just gave up processed carbs completely and ate meat, fruit and nuts. My insides settled down very quickly, I was able to drop my stomach and heart medication and I have managed to increase my average and top cycling speed without suffering as much chest pain. I still have a limit with chest pain coming on but there has been an improvement, and I still have heart disease. But dropping the carbs made a noticeable improvement. However, my blood sugar is now increasing. The doctor is monitoring it closely but without simple carbs in my diet, my blood sugar has started to increase.
Scary stuff. It's good you are under medical care!
Squashed wrote:Moving on from this, I have recently started to add some processed carbs back into my diet and so far things are ok. Further testing and monitoring by the doc is required to see how this goes. But basically some processed carbs are needed and complex carbs are fine. But most people need to reduce the processed carbs they eat and increase the plant matter. And some fat is fine but don’t over do it :)
Sounds sensible. I hope it works out ok for you.
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

After taking in the suggestions, I have decided to not be so obsessive with one fruit and is now having a large fruit salad for lunch consisting of 1 apple, 1 banana, 2 handfulls of grapes, 4 strawberries, 1 peach and 1 kiwi. How is that for a medium build guy?

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 pm

zill wrote:After taking in the suggestions, I have decided to not be so obsessive with one fruit and is now having a large fruit salad for lunch consisting of 1 apple, 1 banana, 2 handfulls of grapes, 4 strawberries, 1 peach and 1 kiwi. How is that for a medium build guy?
add a bit of protein (chicken, fish) and or fat (olive oil, fish oil, flax seed oil, cheese, yoghurt) to that, and maybe a small amount of processed carbs (multigrain bread, muesli bar, whatever) and you have a nice lunch :)
The fat & protein will help you feel fuller for longer. The carbs will give you energy to cycle home :)

a little side note on grapes and tomatoes available from shops. They are often sprayed with sulpha or packed with a sulpha pad. This is a poison (aka preservative) and you need to wash it off thoroughly. If you grow your own fruit then ignore this.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Squashed wrote:
zill wrote:After taking in the suggestions, I have decided to not be so obsessive with one fruit and is now having a large fruit salad for lunch consisting of 1 apple, 1 banana, 2 handfulls of grapes, 4 strawberries, 1 peach and 1 kiwi. How is that for a medium build guy?
add a bit of protein (chicken, fish) and or fat (olive oil, fish oil, flax seed oil, cheese, yoghurt) to that, and maybe a small amount of processed carbs (multigrain bread, muesli bar, whatever) and you have a nice lunch :)
The fat & protein will help you feel fuller for longer. The carbs will give you energy to cycle home :)

a little side note on grapes and tomatoes available from shops. They are often sprayed with sulpha or packed with a sulpha pad. This is a poison (aka preservative) and you need to wash it off thoroughly. If you grow your own fruit then ignore this.
A good segue back into bananas - the most heavily sprayed food crop on the planet. Like weekly. Less so in Oz (so far) but I'd certainly like to know when I am buying bananas that are imported from the Phillipines under recent FTA.

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote: A good segue back into bananas - the most heavily sprayed food crop on the planet. Like weekly. Less so in Oz (so far) but I'd certainly like to know when I am buying bananas that are imported from the Phillipines under recent FTA.
Ask your greengrocer - he/she should be able to tell you where their fruit is from. It is certainly a big selling point at the Queen Vic market here in Melbourne where some stallholders even differentiate between produce grown within the state and produce from interstate.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 am

Squashed wrote: a little side note on grapes and tomatoes available from shops. They are often sprayed with sulpha or packed with a sulpha pad. This is a poison (aka preservative) and you need to wash it off thoroughly. If you grow your own fruit then ignore this.
If by "sulpha" you mean sulphur then no there is no reason for any concern. For the better part of a decade i have mixed sulphur with copper sulphate and dolomite and added the mix to my livestock feed (initially dairy cows and now goats). It is exceptionally good at preventing ticks and other parasites.

Re sprays on bananas, i would expect that has something to do with them being one of the least genetically diverse plants in the world, it is extremely rare to find viable seeds so the vast majority of banana plants are grown from shoots, so they are effectively clones. That's why things like black sigatoka can run rampant.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia