Grgic's stupid questions thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Grgic

Grgic's stupid questions thread

Postby Grgic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am

Does anyone freeze their powerade? Does it change the properties of the drink at all?

What do you do on long rides where there's no opportunity to refill water bottles? Camelbak or get those bidon holders that triathletes attach to the back of their saddles?

I'm sure there'll be more to come.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wombatK

Re: Grgic's stupid questions thread

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 am

I use mainly gatorade, but occasionally powerade. My routine is to freeze one 650 ml biton full, and freeze a second half-filled one. The latter gets topped up with chilled gatorade/powerade when leaving home. That's enough for a 2 hour ride - any longer than that and I find a tap to refill one of the bitons. Have tried a Camelbak, but I prefer the weight on the frame rather than my back, bottles are easier to see what you've got left, and quicker to drink from.

Freezing does not change any properties other than the temperature and liquid/solid state.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 am

Boy was that a stupid question! :lol: :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks wombatK
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm

How much chamois cream should be applied to a chamois? If I do a thin covering it absorbs in to the chamois before I put the knicks on which I assume is not so good? So I generally put on another layer again. How quickly do you go through a tub of the stuff? I find that I'm using up the stuff at a reasonable pace (applying before riding to work in the morning and then again before riding home in the afternoon).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Unless you're riding in the Simpson Desert (which some people do!) you will always be able to find SOME source of water, be it a tap, creek, or just knocking on someone's door.

Haven't used powerade or chamois cream, so i can't help with those two :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 pm

OP is not even trying.

I think the questions are more lazy than stupid. Not searching for themselves and then creating a dedicated thread for people to come to him to answer things. :roll:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Appreciate the constructive criticism, thanks HappyHumber.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Grgic wrote:Does anyone freeze their powerade? Does it change the properties of the drink at all?

What do you do on long rides where there's no opportunity to refill water bottles? Camelbak or get those bidon holders that triathletes attach to the back of their saddles?

What I do is freeze half of a One litre bottle of water or cordial and top it up when I am about to leave home. Stays cool for ages. Some of us are just too soft. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm

outnabike wrote:
Grgic wrote:Does anyone freeze their powerade? Does it change the properties of the drink at all?

What I do is freeze half of a One litre bottle of water or cordial and top it up when I am about to leave home. Stays cool for ages. Some of us are just too soft. :)
and if you use a Podium Chill Bottle, it stays frozen for a few hours.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm

I burn through the water...I put bidons in the fridge so they are chilled and sometimes carry an extra bidon in back pocket... Most routes I know where water refill points are (parks/fountains or taps). If I am unsure I take a camelbak. I keep the bladder in the freezer, only use water in it and freeze most of it as I use the bidons first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:30 am

If you cycle for fitness or health, stop drinking powerade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:32 pm

How far is your commute to work? Do you really need bum cream for the distance? I do almost 20 kms each way most days and have never used bum cream. Not even when I long weekend training rides and did the around the bay in a day ride 10 years ago.

Maybe you don't actually need it for a lot of your rides and could simply save your money. Or maybe I've got a tough bum.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm

cp123 wrote:How far is your commute to work? Do you really need bum cream for the distance? I do almost 20 kms each way most days and have never used bum cream. Not even when I long weekend training rides and did the around the bay in a day ride 10 years ago.

Maybe you don't actually need it for a lot of your rides and could simply save your money. Or maybe I've got a tough bum.
Bare minimum 20kms depending if I go directly to work our meander around the lake.

I've been told that riding to work in the morning without using chamois cream will lead to my knicks hanging around in the locker room for 8-10hrs "germifying".

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:16 pm

as I said - I ride to and from work and have done for 30 plus years and never used bum cream. and I've never had hygiene issues or any medical issues related to germy, fungal or other related issues.

save your bloody money and just let your shorts air naturally as best you can.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Grgic wrote:
I've been told that riding to work in the morning without using chamois cream will lead to my knicks hanging around in the locker room for 8-10hrs "germifying".
Yea nah. Chamois cream is first and foremost to prevent chafing. I've done 300+kms without it with no trouble, so it isn't essential, just a personal preference thing. As for the knicks, that really isn't an issue, my commute is 25kms each way (used to be 42kms) and my gentleman's area wasn't attacked by some superbug that had evolved in my sweaty knicks over the course of a work day :) . As cp123 said, just let them air and there's no problem, if you can hang them in the sun for a while even better.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Grgic wrote:How much chamois cream should be applied to a chamois? If I do a thin covering it absorbs in to the chamois before I put the knicks on which I assume is not so good? So I generally put on another layer again. How quickly do you go through a tub of the stuff? I find that I'm using up the stuff at a reasonable pace (applying before riding to work in the morning and then again before riding home in the afternoon).
I put the cream on my skin where it rubs, why put it on the chamois when most of it doesn't even rub you. Most decent Knicks have anti-bacterial treatment.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

I have 4 pairs of the Cell bib shorts that I rotate through. Not sure whether they are anti-bacterial. Before i started using chamois cream I got a lot of chaffing from the stitching on them, now pretty much no chaffing.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm

:oops: I also don't use chamois cream- for commuting (25km each way) and longer rides. I do use bepanthan if things start to get chafed (tends to be a long term thing). Also discovered two pairs of cycling shorts (MTB Fox shorts) were over 10 years old and not just the shorts were baggy which was a major contributor to the issue. Chucked them out and got new ones (Fox and DHB), much better. I also have castelli bib knicks- my bum likes them

Important also to let the liner/knicks dry during the day when backing up (ie commuting) otherwise a superbug may start breeding.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:34 pm

My only concept on how much cream to apply to chamois is what I saw Eric Zabel using on Hell on Wheels

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Grgic wrote:My only concept on how much cream to apply to chamois is what I saw Eric Zabel using on Hell on Wheels
There's a question right there, silly or otherwise.

Q. Was EZ's soigneur overdoing it because of the cameras?

A. Yes.

Oh and also:

Q. Would you let someone else apply Butt Cream to your knicks?

A. Ummm... FWIW I apply to skin not chamois... self-apply, I should emphasise.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Bottles:

Back in the days when I was a roadie, often covering lotsa miles, I had an additional pair of bottles on a saddle-mounted rack (so four on the bike all told). If a hot one was expected, I'd put three bottles in the freezer overnight, and the fourth just in the fridge. That one would be my starting one for the day. I would also measure the right dose of electrolyte powder for a bottle into a zip-lock bag and carry a few of those with me too, for refuelling on the way. Now I'm a MTBer, so it's Camelbag all the way, with a bottle as backup.

Never used chammy cream, even when I rode 320km one day. Maybe I just have an Ironbum. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Duck! wrote:Bottles:

Back in the days when I was a roadie, often covering lotsa miles, I had an additional pair of bottles on a saddle-mounted rack (so four on the bike all told). If a hot one was expected, I'd put three bottles in the freezer overnight, and the fourth just in the fridge. That one would be my starting one for the day. I would also measure the right dose of electrolyte powder for a bottle into a zip-lock bag and carry a few of those with me too, for refuelling on the way. Now I'm a MTBer, so it's Camelbag all the way, with a bottle as backup.

Never used chammy cream, even when I rode 320km one day. Maybe I just have an Ironbum. :-)
These are the triathlete dual rear cage holders you are talking about? Do you recall what brand you used?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 am

The one I use is a Minoura brand, but there are multiple others,
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Grgic wrote:I have 4 pairs of the Cell bib shorts that I rotate through. Not sure whether they are anti-bacterial. Before i started using chamois cream I got a lot of chaffing from the stitching on them, now pretty much no chaffing.
The lower end Cell bib knicks are fine for when you start out and the ride distances are modest but spend a few extra dollars to upgrade the attire as distances increase. Apply the chamois crewam only to the bits of your body that actually come in contact with the saddle.
Not my circus, not my monkeys