Meal ideas while riding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Meal ideas while riding

Postby zill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Hello, my fitness has improved and I am riding longer - up to 7 hours.

However, this would inevitably go through lunch time.

Lunch is very important to me and I like to ask what things cyclists eat while riding?

Please recommend some specific items!

Thanks

RonK

Re: Meal ideas while riding

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Hamburger and chips.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

zill

Postby zill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 pm

RonK wrote:Hamburger and chips.
Actually that's what I had today although I didn't have it while riding. It was filling but not healthy obviously. Also can't really have it while riding.

I am interested in what savvy cyclists would have for lunch while riding. It's obviously got to be something that fits in the back pocket of the jersey.

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:56 am

Gosh, eating while riding. You didn't mention competition. I'm no kind of competitor so have not comment on gels - they are popular. Very digestible and packaged so they can be eaten on the go.

Meusli bars. The one mainstay of my snacks. Lots of variation there. I actually prefer the cheap ones - Black and gold, but like to put in a few of the flash ones just for variation. If I was going to consume them on the go, then packaging would be an issue. They are a pain to unwrap. This can be fixed, Prepare them, by unwrapping, maybe cutting each into halves or thirds and putting into a Zip lock bag which will hold all that you will need for the ride. This solves the litter problem too. Why a zip lock back? Not for the zip lock top (too fiddly to undo or get into), rather because they come in a heavier weight of plastic and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You can cut the zip top off, roll the top of the back outwards, or just put a bit of tape on the ends of it so it stays open, and you have a convenient jersey pocket liner which is easy to access the edibles - takes some experimentation. It works

The tape is actually the better idea, so long as it is not too good - so that it can be easily removed and the bag sealed if it rains.

Bananas are good too. Biodegradable wrapper.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 am

zill wrote:
Actually that's what I had today although I didn't have it while riding. It was filling but not healthy obviously. Also can't really have it while riding.

I am interested in what savvy cyclists would have for lunch while riding. It's obviously got to be something that fits in the back pocket of the jersey.
I doubt many "savvy" cyclists would regularly ride for 7 hours and not get off the bike for a food and comfort stop. And there would be very few 7 hour rides that don't pass a deli, cafe or bakery. Who would want to ride that long on what can be carried in a pocket.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

kb

Meal ideas while riding

Postby kb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 am

Dried figs, dates, nuts. What intensity of riding are imagining? Low intensity you can get away with very little food, but RonK is right. It's pretty unusual not to be able to stop somewhere in 7 hours. You could just leave earlier so lunch is afterwards ;-)

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 am

Things I used to take when riding for lengthy periods:
Sandwiches or roll - peanut butter, lettuce and cheese on multigrain was my favourite.
Some fruit - bananas seem to work best here (and you can buy a purpose built banana holder so it doesn't get squashed or bruised)
Dried fruit and nut mix - my preferred combo is cashews and macadamias with either sultanas or cranberries.
Some of those shelf stable cheese triangles like Happy Cow or Laughing Cow
Some chocolate.
A handful of jellybeans or snakes "just in case"

I should point out the above did not fit into the pockets of a jersey. I always took a rack mounted bag which also contained quite a comprehensive tool kit and a first aid kit, because all my rides were on remote rural roads.

On a typical ride my routine would be:
Start with good breakfast - porridge is my fuel of choice.
Leave home, ride a couple of hours, stop for break and nibble on my fruit and nut mix and maybe have a square of chocolate maybe a cheese triangle.
Ride for a couple more hours
Longer stop for lunch, have my sandwich/roll and fruit and maybe a few more bits of fruit and nut mix or chocolate.
Ride for a couple more hours, stop for another fruit and nut mix break and maybe more chocolate or a cheese triangle
Ride home - chocolate milk or banana smoothie when I get home.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 am

Personally I go with a mix of muesli bars, bananas, and sandwiches - usually peanut butter and jam. I've done up to ~10 hrs with what's in my pockets. 3 big pockets in a cycling shirt will take something like 2 sangers, 2 bananas, 8 muesli bars as well as phone, wallet, etc, but spares/tubes stuck on the bike. Even though I carry a lot on longer rides I do sometimes buy things along the way. Not a big gels guy, but I'm pretty happy to eat anything with a decent amount of sugar. I don't have "meals" as such, just start eating something out of the pocket every 1/2 hr ~ 45 mins if it a longer ride. And a steady consumption of low strength powerade and the odd can of coke.

On some really, really long stupid rides I've stopped and eaten things resembling meals. Like foot long subways, or even burger and chips. But here I'm talking about low intensity / social rides. If I'm pressing on at all, then burgers, chips, big subways meals are not ideal for me.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 am

RonK wrote:
zill wrote:

I doubt many "savvy" cyclists would regularly ride for 7 hours and not get off the bike for a food and comfort stop. And there would be very few 7 hour rides that don't pass a deli, cafe or bakery. Who would want to ride that long on what can be carried in a pocket.
I heard Armstrong in his 11am to 5 or 6pm training rides, he eats on the bike.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:04 pm

RonK's comment is still true.

Also, I doubt LA carried a picnic with him. Having a support person/vehicle for even part of the ride makes it a little different.

I can't stand having that much in my pockets. If I had to carry enough food for 7hrs I'd have something small in each side pocket and the rest in a slim backpack (like a camelback) or on a rack etc.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Touring, my wife and I have carried a gas bottle and burner to use with soup and hot chocolate sachets!

On long road rides I'll have GU gels. They're stuffed into a sandwich bag first so that the 'empties' don't leak into the jersey pocket. :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:29 pm

zill wrote:I heard Armstrong in his 11am to 5 or 6pm training rides, he eats on the bike.
LA used to say he would time his rides like this so that he could skip lunch... As with all other things he said, who knows!.
7 hour training rides?, well they are only ever going to be endurance paced rides so finding a shop is usually possible... Certainly is for me.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:25 pm

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/02/cam-a ... adventure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheese and vegemite scroll.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 am

Most of mine have been mentioned.
peanut butter sandwich, banana, mandarin, muesli bars, packet of jelly snakes and marshmallows.
I usually wear a back pack tho and keep a 2 litre bottle of water and other food in it. And sometimes I eat while cycling. Just make back pack a front pack and get something out. Then turn into a back pack again. If I want a major break I pull up and sit down on a bench somewhere.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:38 am

A meal to avoid:

Red Bull, Hot Tamales and a bag of chips.

Link of doom follows:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discu ... 441&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:56 am

The longer the ride, the lower the intensity, and the more normal your food should be. normal meaning not Atkins or Paleo diet as you'll need the carbs.

Things I've had: hamburger, chicken and salad sandwich, bacon and eggs.

RonK is right. stop, rest, and eat a proper meal, otherwise you risk all sorts of issues, most likely stuffed kidneys from not taking enough fluid. on 200+k rides, I tend to stop every 2-3 hours for food and pee. If you are not desiring to pee this often, then you are not taking enough fluid. Longer rides are about enjoying the journey (scenery, company), not about time trialling some imaginary.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:06 am

I like stopping for quiche. It makes you go quicher :-)

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:24 pm

zill wrote:
I heard Armstrong in his 11am to 5 or 6pm training rides, he eats on the bike.
Dude, you're not Lance Armstrong. Don't try and be him....

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:52 pm

herzog wrote:A meal to avoid:
Red Bull, Hot Tamales and a bag of chips.
Link of doom follows:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discu ... 441&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
roflmao :)
kb wrote:I like stopping for quiche. It makes you go quicher :-)
lol :)

treadler

Postby treadler » Tue May 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Dates, bananas, muesli bars. On longer higher intensity rides, maybe one of my two bottles add Staminade.
A bit wary of powdered/jellied sugars though........

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat May 10, 2014 1:12 am

Most dense, least bulky to carry and easy source of carbs would have to be Clif Bars.

I make my own Anzac-Biscuit inspired energy bars however.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 am

Fruit cake from Coles or Woolies.
Cheap, tasty, packs in small lots, full of calories and easy to eat.
Also not to sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat May 10, 2014 10:23 am

Redbull wrote:Fruit cake from Coles or Woolies.
Cheap, tasty, packs in small lots, full of calories and easy to eat.
Also not to sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 to this ... I go for the 'Light' variety.