Shoulder pain.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Le Mong

Shoulder pain.

Postby Le Mong » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Ok here is something that has been pi$$ing me off for a while that no-one can seem to work out.

Shoulder pain, namely directly between my shoulder blades centring at my spine. by the end of anything over 110km I cant look back behind myself properly etc.

Approximate location of pain.

Still sore today after 230km yesterday, but only when driving. Lifting sleepers to build a retaining wall etc didn't bother me.

Im 186cm tall and ride a 58cm Tarmac sl4, Roman 155 saddle, 790mm seat height (CL of BB), 420mm bars, 720mm from tip of saddle to the point on the hoods where they turn up (9000 DA Hoods), 870 from CL of seat to hoods and 65mm drop. Nothing to crazy, if anything I'd like the front 20mm lower.

Any ideas from those who understand this better than I do?

Squashed

Re: Shoulder pain.

Postby Squashed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 pm

in my opinion, and I am not a doctor, I would say you might have slipped or damaged a disc between the vertebrate. Alternatively, it is from your cycling position. You lean forward and tilt your head back and that is putting pressure on those vertebrate and causing pain.
You cycle long distances so I would assume the latter. Try sitting up more during rides and do stretches before and after each ride. And make sure you stand up and sit up straight when not cycling. Good posture :)

ps, a good sports physiotherapist might be able to help. Check with them before popping pills from your gp :)

pps, I get pain in the same spot but i have damaged vertebrate from being squashed by a car. My pain comes when I lean over the frame and tilt my head back.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 am

Have you had a massage through that area at all? You could have super tight muscle in the shoulder and neck area as I have had this problem in the past. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:37 am

I just noticed that the shoulder and neck flexibility has N/A against them why? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 am

N/a because I didn't have a problem with either.

Bad pic but it's the only one I have atm, not a particularly aggressive position. (SOUTH kit)

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 am

you have tight hamstrings and a stiff lower back.
Your pain is invariably due to facet joint tightness from c67 to t45, with or without irritation of nerve roots.
If you are not getting neck or back pain, then presume your spinal cord is not tethered.

The solution is to get a physio to loosen the joints with manual therapy, and to do exercise that stretches the joints.

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am

I second the suggestion for a physiotherapist and after they have sorted you out, you should consider pilates.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 am

Stefan_A wrote:you have tight hamstrings and a stiff lower back.
Your pain is invariably due to facet joint tightness from c67 to t45, with or without irritation of nerve roots.
If you are not getting neck or back pain, then presume your spinal cord is not tethered.

The solution is to get a physio to loosen the joints with manual therapy, and to do exercise that stretches the joints.
I get pain in a similar spot but right side only. I have been doing some stretching and core work and notice I am imbalanced for sure which may be why I only have pain one side, and I know my lower back and hamstrings are tight.

How does hamstring and lower back tightness cause pain there?

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on someone in Sydney or Newcastle who is good with this type of problem?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 am

I switched to narrower bars and a shorter stem which has greatly reduced any pain in both the upper centre of my back and the pain I was getting in my right shoulder.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Much narrower would have me on 40cm bars :p

All things I'm going to have to work on :(

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Ok so fine all day, No pain. Drive the 65mins home and it's beginning to get to the point I'm wincing and flinching in pain. Get out of the car and in 30sec it's virtually gone again. This is frustrating...

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Toolish wrote:
Stefan_A wrote:you have tight hamstrings and a stiff lower back.

I get pain in a similar spot but right side only. I have been doing some stretching and core work and notice I am imbalanced for sure which may be why I only have pain one side, and I know my lower back and hamstrings are tight.

How does hamstring and lower back tightness cause pain there?
hams and stiff lower back are obvious in photo. they don't necessarily cause pain in upper thoracics and lower cervical...but can occur simultaneously, because often tightness is global due to genetic predisposition and/or sedentary lifestyle.

I generally prescribe a total spine stretch, even when a problem area is restricted to several joints.
if you can visualize, the two best spine stretches for cyclists in my view are thus:
put a 20kg weightlifting bar across the back of your shoulders and spread your arms out and over it, so hands are dangling in front of it and out to the sides as much as possible.

1. Rotation
begin with deep breath in. as you breathe out begin by rotating neck first, then sequentially down thru upper thoracic region, lower, upper lumbar, then lower lumbar. pause to take another deep breath, then push further into the stretch. then do again before unwinding very very slowly. repeat to other side. be sure not to let hips do most of the rotating.

2. Side Bends.
similar to above but segmentally bend to side with legs stretched out very wide. start with neck bend, then thoracic, then lumbar.

These two movements are most effective at stretching facet joints in the spine, and can help significantly to get you lower on the bars. Every time triallist should do something similar 2-3x a week.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 am

Le Mong wrote:Ok so fine all day, No pain. Drive the 65mins home and it's beginning to get to the point I'm wincing and flinching in pain. Get out of the car and in 30sec it's virtually gone again. This is frustrating...
if the back section of the car seat is leaning too far back, you will be pushing your head forward and this will create upper back and neck pain and stiffness, especially on long trips.

out of curiosity, do you ever get any chest pain or tightness in the chest area, pain or discomfort or tingly sensation in hands or arms, pain or discomfort running around the ribs to your back?
it's unlikely and I believe the pain is too high up, but maybe have a chat to a doctor and get them to confirm that your heart is ok. I doubt it is your heart, and the most likely cause is tight joints and you need to stretch a bit, but heart problems can cause pain in your back.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 am

Thank you for the advice Stefan, I will have to get myself into a regular stretching routine and hopefully get some time to see a professional this week about straightening things out.

Squashed, heart problems do run in the family so I do help an eye on that. Thankfully I don't appear to have any of the issues tho. I will also look into my posture when driving.

Between these two things I'm hoping to find some relief from this issue :)

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

good luck and here's hoping it gets sorted out soon. Nothing worse than random pain that the doctors can't figure out :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Le Mong wrote:Thank you for the advice Stefan, I will have to get myself into a regular stretching routine and hopefully get some time to see a professional this week about straightening things out.

Squashed, heart problems do run in the family so I do help an eye on that. Thankfully I don't appear to have any of the issues tho. I will also look into my posture when driving.

Between these two things I'm hoping to find some relief from this issue :)
If you haven't been there already - try Bend and Mend Physio on Sydney.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:29 am

My tightness is upper back and the foam roller has changed my life. It hurts, and I actually sweat from the trauma if its a warm day, but it works.

Have you sold the TT bike yet? That's going to force you to stretch the hammys and back more.

It's hard when fundamental issues cause challenges. I find wearing my glasses helps with eye strain but neck is worse because of the narrow field of vertical vision. I tilt my neck up when I wouldn't with sunnies.

Take your time. Rectifying this could be a while, but start stretching now. See a chiro too, they are great mobilising stiff bodies which makes stretching more effective.

Best of luck!

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 am

TT bike is long gone unfortunately. Should never have sold it hahahha

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:45 am

Aero bars!!! Or even putting the front wheel on the ground instead of a riser when you put it on the trainer?

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:57 am

Physio today. Will see how I go. I do need a new TT bike tho...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:03 am

Le Mong wrote:Physio today. Will see how I go. I do need a new TT bike tho...
Your a cunning devil Le Mong, so that is what it's all about? Preparing the missus :)

Crickey I actually have some back pain myself.......
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:06 am

No missus to prepare. Want to buy a house tho so toys are a second priority atm particularly one I'll ride once in a blue moon.
Last edited by Le Mong on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 am

This sciatic pain is killing me too, need a new power meter to stop the pain 8)

Hope the appointment goes well, sucks when the mind is strong but the flesh is weak.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

That's the other issue. New bike = another PM hahahah