Now HERE is weight control program worth pursuing

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ColinOldnCranky

Now HERE is weight control program worth pursuing

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:45 pm

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa ... zr100.html
Chardonnay better than red wine in slowing weight gain and lowering cholesterol

Date April 29, 2014 - 3:23AM

Red wine gets all the good press for the cardiovascular benefits of the flavonoids it contains, but US Department of Agriculture researchers are reporting that one white wine grape has the reds beat when it comes to slowing weight gain and lowering cholesterol, at least in laboratory animals.

The researchers put hamsters on a high-fat diet supplemented by flour made from the seeds of grapes used for chardonnay, syrah and cabernet sauvignon wines. They found that the white grapes easily beat the reds in slowing the hamsters’ weight gain and limiting production of cholesterol.

They believe the higher levels of flavonoids in the chardonnay grape seeds altered the work of genes related to fat metabolism. They also had an anti-inflammatory effect, according to a study the USDA scientists published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in February.

In part, the researchers say in another paper yet to be published, the anti-oxidant compounds in the chardonnay grape seeds may work with bacteria in the gut to produce beneficial effects.

The flour production also provides grape-growers a way to use seeds that currently are discarded and dumped during the chardonnay production.

The Mayo Clinic has begun human trials to determine whether the same results can be achieved, said Wally Yokoyama, a research chemist for the USDA in California, and one of the authors of the two studies.

The innovation is one of many in a new USDA report released this week.

“We have over 100 locations where our scientists, no pun intended, are working in the vineyards of new ideas, new products, new businesses,” US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in an interview.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/c ... z30FtFYpXO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wombatK

Re: Now HERE is weight control program worth pursuing

Postby wombatK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Red wine plays havoc with my hay-fever, so I'm very glad you've posted this.

But I suspect I might be getting a much better dose of the active ingredients (flavanoids) if
I were to eat whole grapes rather than drinking wine.

Dietitians tell us that we're much better off eating oranges than drinking orange juice. Indeed,
drinking gallons of orange juice is one way to defeat the purpose of gastric banding and
maintain morbid obesity after the surgery.

And maybe it's the same with wine.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

wombatK wrote:Red wine plays havoc with my hay-fever, so I'm very glad you've posted this.

But I suspect I might be getting a much better dose of the active ingredients (flavanoids) if
I were to eat whole grapes rather than drinking wine.

Dietitians tell us that we're much better off eating oranges than drinking orange juice. Indeed,
drinking gallons of orange juice is one way to defeat the purpose of gastric banding and
maintain morbid obesity after the surgery.

And maybe it's the same with wine.
You're a killjoy Wombat! :x

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Nah, white wine bores me to tears. I love red wine, I have a couple of hundred bottles in a cellar. Then again, I don't drink it for health benefits.

Now, if you really want to post a good news story, find me some research which shows how whisky improves my health :D

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Red wine, rich cheeses, "better" cuts of red meat. Hey, it all goes with the territory doesn't it? Unsurprising.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 pm

There's more anti-oxidants in the raw grapes than the wine made from them, whether white or red....but don't count on the wine industry to encourage you to eat grapes.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Here's some more killjoy stuff ...

Italian research has thrown serious doubts on the alleged benefits of resveratrol (i.e. red wine)...
Not all its cracked up to be

So don't even bother hoeing into the red grapes because you think it'll save your cardiovascular system.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Stefan_A wrote:There's more anti-oxidants in the raw grapes than the wine made from them, whether white or red....but don't count on the wine industry to encourage you to eat grapes.
Though I'm not going to worry much either way. :D The promise held out initially for anitoxiadants have failed to materialise (thought he premises were still worth investigating).

With regards to gastriointestinal cancerhttp://www.bibliotecacochrane.com/pdf/CD004183.pdf

With regards to lifespan http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD007176/ ... s-diseases

With regards to fertility http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/06/t ... ioxidants/

I notice that some of those that market health and medicine outside the mainstream are less inclined these days atribute to antioxidants any benefits (consumer law penalities etc) but slyly mention them in the hope that people will continue to assume a benefit.

It's nice to know that my preference for microwaved cooking is still a good choice, not withstanding that it will pretty well wipe out every trace of anti-oxidants.

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Consistent with the title of the thread. Here is a diet I used to swear by for weight control, called the red wine diet, I utilised to shed kilos during a time when I was riding 200 km per week to commute.

Just eat what one normally eats - no change in the FOOD. (I was never one for snacks anyway)
FRIDAY, have 2 beers (only) after work (we had beers at knock off) then once home, drink as much red wine as you care to.
That's it, no more alcohol until next Friday.

It did actually work.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm

PapaJohn wrote:Consistent with the title of the thread. Here is a diet I used to swear by for weight control, called the red wine diet, I utilised to shed kilos during a time when I was riding 200 km per week to commute.

Just eat what one normally eats - no change in the FOOD. (I was never one for snacks anyway)
FRIDAY, have 2 beers (only) after work (we had beers at knock off) then once home, drink as much red wine as you care to.
That's it, no more alcohol until next Friday.

It did actually work.
I ride around 150km a week year-in year-out and have for a number of years. But it is at MUCH less intensity than a rider on this forum would ever do it. I have resumed my lifelong strength program and added 15mins of large-muscle exercises (mostly back and abs) to my ride every morning, Despite eating all the wrong stuff and in large quantities it is no surprise that I still maintain a lean weight.

(Aside from feeding my healthy ego) why am I alluding to this?

Well ... There are a lot of ifs and buts. But riding 200k a week may have had something to do with your outcomes. :? Certainly on my experience.

Nevertheless, I am willing to give your red wine diet serious consideration. :D

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Thu May 15, 2014 9:22 am

I'm with ya on the booze. I stopped all booze consumption and weight dropped off drastically. To be fair, I drank 3 cases a week and weighed over 200kg at the time :lol:

PapaJohn

Postby PapaJohn » Thu May 15, 2014 5:53 pm

The 200 kays a week wasn't actually a part of the program. It was just what I was riding at the time, the daily commute.

It worked because I only had alcohol on the Friday, and because I did not limit it on that night, I had no problem forgoing it on every other day of the week. Effect? a fairly significant reduction in the alcohol per week. By the time Monday rolled around, my liver was no longer working on it, and there was no noticeable effect on my riding. Alcohol does not do one's ride performance any good - double duty for the liver. Otherwise, I find that even a couple of drinks on a night before makes a decent ride feel like I've got a dragging brake.

The first time this was obvious to me was on a tour, when 2/3 through the trip, once I was clearly headed home, I would have a couple of drinks at the end of the day. My apparent fitness appeared to go backwards significantly. Since, I've been happy enough to leave the celebratory drinks to final destination.