Loosing too much weight

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Loosing too much weight

Postby Nobody » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I have been told at work that I am "getting too skinny" when at the upper end of BMI as well. I'm not sure BMI is a very good measure... waist certainly is. But it highlighted to me that obesity has become so normal that a person being a healthy weight for their height is considered "too skinny". It also highlights that a visual inspection of a person is not an indicator of health.
I'm getting that too. At BMI of 22.5, I hardly think so. I doubt the average person in Thailand would think so.

sogood

Loosing too much weight

Postby sogood » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Stefan_A wrote:Many physicians consider the carrying of 'extra' fat into old age as bunk.
+1. But muscle bulk is good.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Mon May 05, 2014 1:31 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I have been told at work that I am "getting too skinny" when at the upper end of BMI as well. I'm not sure BMI is a very good measure... waist certainly is. But it highlighted to me that obesity has become so normal that a person being a healthy weight for their height is considered "too skinny". It also highlights that a visual inspection of a person is not an indicator of health.
CC, I think the consensus from the many threads re BMI is that it is a tool most appropriately applied to populations, and can be highly misleading when applied to individuals due to variable lean tissue and racial skeletal structure i.e. Polynesians vs Chinese. I agree with you waist circumference is better, and actual bodyfat % is best :)

I totally agree there has been a societal deconditioning to what is actually overweight; and many medicos probably tone down the scientific facts to accommodate this! which is unfortunate. I'd always prefer medicos shock and awe me with the facts! I'd actually pay a premium to have my paradigm shifted from self delusion or half truths. :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Stefan_A wrote:I totally agree there has been a societal deconditioning to what is actually overweight; and many medicos probably tone down the scientific facts to accommodate this! which is unfortunate. I'd always prefer medicos shock and awe me with the facts! I'd actually pay a premium to have my paradigm shifted from self delusion or half truths. :)
I think we are getting so used to people being fat that we can't recognise a normal weight person anymore. I remember the uproar about Pete Evans on MKR last year with people on social media labelling him gaunt. Funny, he looks like a healthy size to me.

"MY KITCHEN Rules viewers eager to tuck into the debut episode of the fourth series last night were more interested in talking about Pete Evans' shockingly thin, tanned appearance than they were about the food."

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv ... 6564179754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Shockingly thin" indeed. Even more hilarious was "his bizarre new diet plan", which included almonds. I mean what the? Almonds! How bizzare can you get? :wink:
<removed by request>

nez1976

Postby nez1976 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm

As someone who's always been thin, the last thing I needed to do was lose weight. But since I started commuting to work and doing around 200kms a week, I've dropped almost 5kg. My bmi is 18.5. I think that's officially gaunt.

I've had to up my food intake to around 3000 calories a day to help maintain weight and put a bit on. It feels like im either cycling, eating or on the toilet.

At 188cm and 90kgs, you have nothing to worry about.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 05, 2014 3:45 pm

nez1976 wrote:It feels like im either cycling, eating or on the toilet...
Why are you on the toilet (assuming an abnormal amount)?

nez1976

Postby nez1976 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:59 pm

sogood wrote:
Perhaps it was an exaggeration, but all the extra food I've had to eat means I need to go to the toilet more often.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 05, 2014 4:22 pm

nez1976 wrote:Perhaps it was an exaggeration, but all the extra food I've had to eat means I need to go to the toilet more often.
Ok. For a sec I was thinking you have a bowel problem, one that can easily explain your low BMI.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 05, 2014 4:33 pm

nez1976 wrote:
sogood wrote:
Perhaps it was an exaggeration, but all the extra food I've had to eat means I need to go to the toilet more often.
I know what you mean nez. Years ago I was working out like crazy and eating low fat, high carb. I had to eat so much to maintain my weight and that extra volume of food does go through!!! :shock: I felt like I was either eating, working out or on the toilet. Not much of a life in retrospect.

These days I try to eat more fat, which decreases the volume of food I have to eat. I'm still losing the weight I put on over christmas but I don't have to eat as much as when I was low fat, high carb.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Loosing too much weight

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 05, 2014 9:09 pm

I just need to go for a ride on my TT bike... If I have eaten too much in the hour or so before it will all come back up... Stomach must get compressed to much in that position!. :lol:

treadler

Postby treadler » Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Some years ago I changed my diet (& got back on the bike) lost 20kg.
NB, I didn't 'go on a diet', I changed my diet - permanently.
I've never felt so good, my doctor assures me I'm spot on with my weight. (BMI a little over 21). I think with over weight/obesity being so common, we just don't know what a healthy weight person looks like any more. Funnily enough most of the "gaunt", or "too skinny" comments I get come from people who I regard as being at the very least, overweight.
I just ignore the comments now, & move on.
A great way to work out how body weight is going is to look in the mirror - the goal is "lean".
A little being honest with ourselves required here ;-)

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 am

I was once very overweight, well in excess of 200kg, and started losing weight. I recall my doctor getting on board and suggesting a few things. My BP was a bit high and he thought if I could lose 20 or 30 kg during that year it would be great and it turned out I lost 90, then another 35 he next year. Ever since then all he can do it rave on about what a great job I've done and I sometimes I suspect he may fancy me...

But anyway, when I got to 100kg he was adamant that I shouldn't lose more weight. I'm 192 cm, so BMI of 27 odd, and probably body fat in excess of 20%. As it turns out I have been 100kg for 3 years or so now, but no so much because of what he said, just I've been happy being 100kg and being lighter required more discipline than I could bother with. I've also lifted weights a fair bit, carry more muscle than the typical cyclist anyway.

Many people have mentioned to me that I border on gaunt. I can't tell my self as I have completely lost the ability of gauge how I look - 100kg, 150kg, 200kg, don't look that different to me in the mirror. I think it's part of a mental disorder :lol: I do occasionally see photos and think, wow, I do look pretty thin, especially about the face.

So there may be something to that. I do have a lot of flabby skin, must be at least 5kg worth of flabby deflated !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and stuff around my gut. But also perhaps people who have been severely obese lose a lot of fat off the face. My arms and legs are equally low in fat coverage - seems to be muscle, veins, and skin.

Anyway, for the sake of change and to review the see how it effects my cycling/life, I have decided to see if I can get down to 90kg. This would actually put me in the "normal" weight range. Not sure at all if this will be within my capabilities. Will see what happens, but likely look even more repulsive than I do now :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 10, 2014 6:02 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Bugger ..... :( sounds like I had better embrace "gaunt".
I get the gaunt thing sometimes ... Usually still have plenty to lose... I think you need to lose weight slowly or it just shows in the face too much!.
I have been told at work that I am "getting too skinny" when at the upper end of BMI as well. I'm not sure BMI is a very good measure... waist certainly is. But it highlighted to me that obesity has become so normal that a person being a healthy weight for their height is considered "too skinny". It also highlights that a visual inspection of a person is not an indicator of health.
I've had that too - particularly from one colleague who had been on holidays for a long time. She got back and, I quote "oh my god, your so thin, you need to eat more!". :lol: Everyone who knows me well enough during the week knows that not eating enough is not a problem I have. :oops: I eat big lunches. I seem to hover around 60kg. I usually ride a lot, usually average between 350-500km a week, depending on what I'm doing that week.
anttismo wrote:I have decided to see if I can get down to 90kg.
Go for it! :)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

g-boaf wrote:I've had that too - particularly from one colleague who had been on holidays for a long time. She got back and, I quote "oh my god, your so thin, you need to eat more!". :lol: Everyone who knows me well enough during the week knows that not eating enough is not a problem I have. :oops: I eat big lunches. I seem to hover around 60kg. I usually ride a lot, usually average between 350-500km a week, depending on what I'm doing that week.
Ha! I get that too. Just checked my BMI - 20, nicely in the healthy range, but I frequently get told to eat more. If this happens in earshot of the people who work near me they laugh, cos they see how much I eat every day... :lol:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 pm

g-boaf wrote:She got back and, I quote "oh my god, your so thin, you need to eat more!". :lol: .
<subtext>Yep, that's right, you're making moi look fat. I can't eat less, so it's your civic duty to pig-out more</subtext>

Sent from my Galacy Tab with Crpaatalk
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia