Burning / searing pain on one side of the pelvis

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nez1976

Burning / searing pain on one side of the pelvis

Postby nez1976 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi, I'm experiencing some burning or searing pain in my pelvis (near where it meets the thigh) one some of my longer rides. Its starts as an ache and then all of a sudden the area will flare up and I'll get a burning sensation when the leg is extended. It only occurs on my right side. If I'm pedalling, the pain subsides but if I extend the right leg and hold it there ie cornering or resting, the pain is intense. If I extend the left instead and keep the right leg high ie at the top of the stoke, there's no pain. In addition, once I'm off the bike , there is no pain whatsoever. Perhaps some tenderness if I push hard on the area. Quite frustrating. I suspect it's got to do with fit (seat too high?) but the seat height is the same as on my flat bar commuter and I have no problems there (although I don't ride the longer distances on that bike). Any ideas?

jlh

Re: Burning / searing pain on one side of the pelvis

Postby jlh » Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Cramp?

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 pm

are you doing stretches before and after a ride?
stand up straight with feet slightly apart. Bend at the waist and lean over like you are going to touch your toes. You don't actually have to touch them. Keep your legs straight (don't bend at the knees) and hold the position for a few seconds, longer if possible (20-30seconds per stretch is good). Then stand up slowly and carefully. Repeat a few times, and do this several times a day and before and after a ride.

make sure you drink plenty of fluids. The body does not work well during exercise when it is dehydrated. It doesn't work well any time when dehydrated but its worse if you are exercising.

racing bikes and flatbar roadbikes often have different pedals, racing often has quick release pedals that can cause the foot to sit a small amount higher up than normal pedals.

I found a 300mg Aspro Clear (asprin) would quickly fix (within about a minute) any leg cramps I had. Maybe carry one and use it if necessary. If you are on any medications, including heart medication or blood thinners, check with your Doctor before doing this.

nez1976

Postby nez1976 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

thanks for the replies. I don't think it's cramp. On my longer rides I do keep try to keep hyrdated with electrolyte. I don't stretch as often as you've prescribed Squashed but once a week I do stretch and jump on the roller. The flat bar used SPD whilst the road bike where I'm experiencing this is with SPD-SL. My spd-sl shoes are little less bulky so whilst the seat height is the same, perhaps the length to pedal is a bit long. I think I'll lower the seat my 5mm and see how that goes.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Thu May 08, 2014 11:25 pm

I do what the dogs do when they wake up, stretch :)
stretch when you wake up.
stretch before you go cycling and when you come home.
stretch before bed.

once you do it a few times and develop a routine its easy :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 am

Nez, can you post a pic of the location?

I've just had a cortisone injection next to my "sit bone" which you sit on the saddle with; symptoms are the same you describe. A picture would help a lot. My bursitis wasn't fixed by any of the suggestions here.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 16, 2014 12:34 am

I have a lazy aductor - right leg - which I was not aware of until a physio put me onto it. The aductor should have been holding the leg into the hip.

I now take the opportunity at lights and other convenient times to do a simple exercise to strengthen it and get it into habitually pulling the leg back into the hip. The exercise is simply stand only on my right leg but with the leg somewhat bent at the knee. Works a treat and affords em opportunity to do a quad stretch with the other leg while I am at it and I don't obsess over the time it takes for the lights to change.
:D
With the limitless possible causes it is unlikely that lazy adductor is the one, But I'll put in the mix anyway as there is no harm in doing the exercise anyway. In my case I knew it was working about a week later but my symptoms were not as severe as what is described h ere.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle