Elevated heart rate after exercise

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ICU812

Elevated heart rate after exercise

Postby ICU812 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:46 pm

This has probably done to death and probably has some scientific explanation I hope
I did a particularly hard RPM class today. I have noticed that my HR has remained elevated for quite some hours.
My HR monitor is getting a new battery so I can only estimate it is around 90 - 100bpm
Does this always happen after hard exercise? I'm hoping it doesn't hurt you in any way?
Many thanks Sam :D

Squashed

Re: Elevated heart rate after exercise

Postby Squashed » Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 pm

It shouldn't happen for that long. If you do a lot of strenuous exercise your heart rate will go up, but when you finish the exercise and rest, it should come back down within 5-10minutes.
Elevated heart rate for several hours after exercise should be checked by your doctor.

having said that, check your heart rate monitor, it might be dodgy and a flat battery can contribute to it. Also you might naturally have a high resting heart rate.

You best bet is to see your doctor and have then check your ticker just in case :)