Light headed all day after early morning ride

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gabrielle260

Light headed all day after early morning ride

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Mmm - still have difficulty believing so many people in this country can be vitamin D deficient, despite so many individual examples!!

AlanAtom

Re: Light headed all day after early morning ride

Postby AlanAtom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Timely topic! I started to get this fainting or dizzy symptoms this year and I am in my mid-fifties. It happened to me twice; once, when I stood up after bending down to remove a twig stuck in my rear wheel after a long max heart rate climb and another time when I fell off my bike. I got back on and rode for a short distance then got off and sat down when I started to cloud over. Next thing, I knew a couple out on a walk, were bent over me asking how I was doing..I had keeled over and fainted. After a drink of water and short rest, my head cleared and I rode home. In both instances, I also felt cold and clammy before the fainting or dizzy feeling.

Saw my GP about this and she saw nothing wrong with my blood or heart but she has referred me to a cardiologist for further tests. I think old age is catching up on me and I just gotta slow down abit but the thought of abandoning cycling is far from my mind.

Kitch

Postby Kitch » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

AlanAtom wrote:Timely topic! I started to get this fainting or dizzy symptoms this year and I am in my mid-fifties. It happened to me twice; once, when I stood up after bending down to remove a twig stuck in my rear wheel after a long max heart rate climb and another time when I fell off my bike. I got back on and rode for a short distance then got off and sat down when I started to cloud over. Next thing, I knew a couple out on a walk, were bent over me asking how I was doing..I had keeled over and fainted. After a drink of water and short rest, my head cleared and I rode home. In both instances, I also felt cold and clammy before the fainting or dizzy feeling. Saw my GP about this and she saw nothing wrong with my blood or heart but she has referred me to a cardiologist for further tests. I think old age is catching up on me and I just gotta slow down abit but the thought of abandoning cycling is far from my mind.
I find I get a little lightheaded after a ride if I haven't eaten before it. Age 57. Getting old is fact, ageing is a myth !

AlanAtom

Postby AlanAtom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Kitch wrote: I find I get a little lightheaded after a ride if I haven't eaten before it. Age 57. Getting old is fact, ageing is a myth !
...I like your attitude, Kitch... I try your suggestion, although most times when I'm riding, my tummy is not empty.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 pm

There are a lot of cyclists that do not believe in the necessity of using an electrolyte formula or a specific sports drink when replacing fluid during riding, and are of the opinion that just drinking plain water is sufficient.

While this might be OK for the occasional cyclist, daily commuting during hot and humid weather and/or regular rides exceeding 100 km can soon deplete the body electrolyte levels.

Unfortunately low electrolyte levels, particularly low potassium, can cause a whole range of symptoms including fainting due to low blood pressure.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:01 pm

There's also a lot of ageing cyclists who think they can eat the same crap food they were eating when in their 20s.
One of the major causes of lightheadedness is your heart is not pumping efficiently. why? because your coronary arteries are more than 70% blocked by dietary indiscretions, or you've developed an arrthythmia due to atherosclerosis and heart scarring.

Never mind, back to talking about your next super lightweight bike.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Go and see a Gp . I started to get dizzy and feel faint once I reached fifty. Turned out I had really high blood preassure which was rectified. Several years later and change of diet and some rapid weight loss started to suffer same symptoms. Have ceased taking BP MEDS but monitor daily.best advice would be to see your GP and find out what it is. Not sure of your age but once you turn 50 regular bloods etc are par for the course

AlanAtom

Postby AlanAtom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:48 pm

After battery of tests for my near fainting spells, my cardiologist concluded that although my heart and blood vessels are healthy, my reflexes to restrict the flow of blood from my head when I get up is now degraded through aging. I guess for some people although they are fit and healthy, these dizzy and near fainting spells are a consequence of aging.