Light headed all day after early morning ride

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 pm

I have started commuting to work and will generally ride between 25km and 30km at a reasonably hard pace. I have started getting 'headrush' or dizzy when I stand up quickly form my desk. I have never really had this problem after riding regularly (not commuting). I have read elsewhere that there it could be related to dehydration - which is a possibility because I always feel very thirsty when I wake up.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

trailgumby

Re: Light headed all day after early morning ride

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Low blood pressure.

It's an intermittent issue for me, unrelated to cycling. I call it "head spins". Had it all my life. I don;t get faint, but sometimes see stars for a couple of seconds when I get up suddenly after being reclined or seated for awhile. Then it passes. My blood pressure is on the low end of normal. The doctor says it is quite common, and not something to worry too much about.

If it disturbs you, you could edumacate yourself about on-the-bike nutrition and hydration and see if that makes any difference to the symptoms. It will certainly make a difference to your cycling performance and recovery wen done properly.

I aim to go through 1 x 750ml bottle of sports drink every 90 minutes (cool) to 60 minutes (hot conditions), plus one gel per hour, and I have 500ml of protein + carbs recovery drink immediately i step off the bike. At training and race pace that equates to about 1g of carbs per kg of body mass per hour for me at 80kg.
Last edited by trailgumby on Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

trailgumby wrote:Low blood pressure.

It's an intermittent issue for me, unrelated to cycling. I call it "head spins". Had it all my life. I don;t get faint, but sometimes see stars for a couple of seconds when I get up suddenly after being reclined or seated for awhile. Then it passes. My blood pressure is on the low end of normal. The doctor says it is quite common, and not something to worry too much about.

If it disturbs you, you could edumacate yourself about on-the-bike nutrition and hydration and see if that makes any difference to the symptoms. It will certainly make a difference to your cycling performance and recovery.
In my teenage years I used to get head spins regularly when I was younger (usually when I got up to quickly from sitting or lying down) so it hasnt been too concerning just wanted to make sure that it wasnt something that could be an indicator of any other problems.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 pm

See your doctor if you are worried. Peace of mind through informed diagnosis from a health professional is your best option.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 am

Was getting this for a while when I first started out re-cycling and was losing lots of weight- for me it was a combination of low blood pressure, lack of fitness, timing of food (i.e. not eating in the morning before commuting to work) and dehydration.

Not eating in the morning helped my weight loss )Still don't for ride under ~1hr) so targeted the fitness and dehydration at the time. Thinking now I haven't had a head spin for at least six months

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 am

Low blood pressure or sugar levels. Good idea to see your gp when you make a significant shift in your activity levels.
Last edited by herzog on Wed May 21, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 am

For most of my life I've had that dizziness or a feeling like I might flake out if I stand up to quickly after sitting/squatting. It's usually associated with manual effort, like if I have been digging or something like that. Passes pretty quick. I went to the doctor for a regular check up awhile ago and my blood pressure was actually high. She made me come back and check it again. It was still high. So I got one of those halter monitors that took a reading every 15 minutes for 24 hours. Turned out it was perfectly normal throughout the day until about 30 minutes before my doctor's appointment to have it removed! I think it was the drive through traffic to get there that did it and explains why it's always high when she checks it.

Anyway, the first bunch ride I went on last year, after not riding seriously for over a decade, I had to pull out because I felt like I was going to fall off the bike. My head was very light, and I started to feel like I wasn't there. I've only had it a couple of times since and only very mildly but I put it down to a bit of hyperventilation which can cause a lack of carbon dioxide in the blood and may lead to symptoms like that.

But yeah as above I would go see the GP if it keeps up just to be safe.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 21, 2014 10:00 am

** I'm not a healthcare professional **

Keep your fluids up and replce the energy you used in the ride.

If you are thirsty before you start, have a big drink before starting. Keeping fluids up should help a bit. Try and have some 'recovery' food and drink immediately after the ride. Choc milk is recommended as a post ride drink. I too get a little light headed from time to time, tends to be when I'm low on energy (my body is telling me to drink or re-fuel)

If the simple things dont make a difference, then it's time for a professional diagnosis.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri May 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Yep, agree with see a Doctor if you are concerned.

I get this regularly after cycling too. From what I have read, it is normal for blood pressure to drop momentarily when people stand or sit up quickly. However some people get this more than others and a few can experience vertigo especially as they age and simply learn to move more slowly. In my experience though it is definitely associated with resting after riding. I think the advice about immediately attending to recovery after a ride is good. Relaxed muscles also drop blood pressure. So I guess muscles are pretty fatigued and relaxed after a ride and rest so it makes sense that pressure will be lower than usual at this time making vertigo more likely. I wonder if compression garments like skins would help.
Anyway, that's just what I have read from googling.

Ken

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I had same issue and went to my gp... He thought it was low sugar levels and also riding in the morning without eating. ...I now eat before I ride. .. Keep the fluids up and when I am light headed I take a few jelly beans. .. Note I do sweat excessively

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri May 23, 2014 11:40 pm

If you are thirsty when you wake up, why not drink water when you wake up?

Stredda

Postby Stredda » Sat May 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I have blood pressure on the low side and I get pins and needles in my hands and sometimes my face when I've pushed too hard. Also a few times I've had head spins and see colours right after I stop if I don't do a cool down run after a hard push. As long as I back off a bit when it starts it goes away.

silentC

Postby silentC » Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 pm

I'd get that checked out by a GP. Pins and needles can be a sign of more serious things. It might be a nerve problem or it might be carpal tunnel syndrome or any number of things, some of which cause permanent damage if left go. Might be nothing, apparently it's quite common in cyclists.

I get it down the pinky finger of my right hand when I ride hard and I worked out it was because I scrunch my shoulders up. If I concentrate on not doing that, it doesn't happen. I think it affects the angle of my wrist, which causes pressure on the ulnar nerve. That's my theory anyway.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed May 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Dehydration?
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 pm

how tall are you? I get it but I am around 190cm tall,
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Used to happen to me when commuting 30km each way 4-5x per week. I chalked it up to stress, dehydration, low sugar, and fatigue. I lost 16kg that year too. (88kg to 72kg)

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am

Happens to me every day, nearly every time I stand up. Training and dieting, low blood sugar is the cause. Something I live with. So I stand up slowly now :)

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:16 am

jack11 wrote:I have started commuting to work and will generally ride between 25km and 30km at a reasonably hard pace. I have started getting 'headrush' or dizzy when I stand up quickly form my desk. I have never really had this problem after riding regularly (not commuting). I have read elsewhere that there it could be related to dehydration - which is a possibility because I always feel very thirsty when I wake up.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.
I wouldn't muck around with something like this - if this has come on since you started heavier then usual exercise - lighten the pace and make sure you talk to your GP... no matter what age you are.
OI onya bike!!!

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Of course seeing a doctor is the best idea.

I had similar symptoms, when I had a year off driving and was commuting plus group rides at weekends. 2-300 km most weeks. Dropped 5 or 6 kg down to 73. I went to see my GP who referred me to a cardiologist, no dramas.

I was still getting dizzy from standing up quickly, I did a lot at the time working on aircraft. (RFDS so plenty of nurses and doctors about if I actually went out cold. Although I never did.)

I after I did the Mutual Community ride in SA this January, I hardly rode at all. I can't recall getting dizzy for ages after. My fitness vanished and resting HR has gone up a bit.

I signed up for the 3 Peaks in March and have picked up the pace 3-4 rides a week, not much distance but the dizziness is back. I feel better in myself and just watch myself standing up. I pause deliberately half way up and don't go dizzy. Keeping my head below chest height, like bowing.

I did read a while ago that low resting HR was a factor and I have been happy to go with that scenario in my mind. Even after my dad died of a heart attack aged 50, I have 3 years to catch him up but I am not the least bit concerned my heart is dodgy.

I am certainly miles ahead of my mid 20s self. If you asked me to ride 160 km 20 years ago, I would never have entertained the idea. Yet today, I could pump up my tyres and set off in 10 minutes quite happily.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm

So finally after getting very sick last week I had a full blood work up and found the cause/s of this dizziness:

1. Vitamin D deficiency; and
2. Iron deficiency.

Now off to the pharmacy to load up on supplements and get this sorted :D

SydneyRider

Postby SydneyRider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 am

Obtaining sun exposure on bare skin is an important part of absorbing vitamin D.

With iron deficiency, I am assuming that you were given a prescription from your Doctor outlining the dose to be taken. The reason that I ask is that I am aware that iron supplements can be dangerous to health if the dosage is exceeded.

Here is a link that provides some medical information on taking iron.
http://www.healthy.net/Health/Essay/Dan ... lements/68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am

Seems to me that taking supplements is addressing the symptom rather than the cause. Apparently it's fairly common for athletes to be iron-deficient due to increased red blood cell production and sweating. But most people get enough iron from their diet, so I'd be looking at that. I wouldn't want to be taking supplements as a long-term solution to the problem. For a start it will be expensive.

If you don't eat red meat, things like cooked silverbeet and spinach are sources of iron, as are eggs and cashew nuts. Oysters are meant to be good for it, so that's a plus (if you like them).
- Me

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

SydneyRider wrote:Obtaining sun exposure on bare skin is an important part of absorbing vitamin D.

With iron deficiency, I am assuming that you were given a prescription from your Doctor outlining the dose to be taken. The reason that I ask is that I am aware that iron supplements can be dangerous to health if the dosage is exceeded.

Here is a link that provides some medical information on taking iron.
http://www.healthy.net/Health/Essay/Dan ... lements/68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron.
Yes was given a specific dosage for the Vitamin D (2000-3000 iu per day for 2 months) to rectify depleted stores. Also will be retesting levels monthly to ensure no toxicity.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

silentC wrote:Seems to me that taking supplements is addressing the symptom rather than the cause. Apparently it's fairly common for athletes to be iron-deficient due to increased red blood cell production and sweating. But most people get enough iron from their diet, so I'd be looking at that. I wouldn't want to be taking supplements as a long-term solution to the problem. For a start it will be expensive.

If you don't eat red meat, things like cooked silverbeet and spinach are sources of iron, as are eggs and cashew nuts. Oysters are meant to be good for it, so that's a plus (if you like them).
The iron deficiency was only minor so will probably take supplements for a week or two then make a conscious effort to eat more red meat.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:03 pm

jack11 wrote:So finally after getting very sick last week I had a full blood work up and found the cause/s of this dizziness:

1. Vitamin D deficiency; and
2. Iron deficiency.

Now off to the pharmacy to load up on supplements and get this sorted :D
Assuming by the tag "jack11" you're male :) , iron deficiency due to inadequate intake, even if strict vegan is MIGHTY rare. Most common cause is bleeding into the gastrointestinal tract. And that's not innocent, nor best treated by iron tablets.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.