Swimming more injurious than cycling!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TraceyG

Swimming more injurious than cycling!

Postby TraceyG » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Who would have thought that swimming could cause me a worse (i.e. more debilitating) injury than any of my cycling crashes!
I swim freestyle for 40 minutes, once a week, have done for years but last week something went wrong and it appears I may have torn my bicep muscle from the bone. Physiotherapist is reasonably sure but wants to confirm by ultrasound. Damn, it hurts!

Not sure of the treatment plan or prognosis at this early stage.

Summernight

Re: Swimming more injurious than cycling!

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Ouch, heal fast.

I think I broke my thumb doing laps ages ago- I was wearing flippers at the time, doing fast freestyle, forgot where I was in the pool (I was daydreaming) and slammed my thumb knuckle full force and speed into the diving blocks at the end of the lane. It hurt for weeks afterwards!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:43 pm

TraceyG wrote:Who would have thought that swimming could cause me a worse (i.e. more debilitating) injury than any of my cycling crashes!
I swim freestyle for 40 minutes, once a week, have done for years but last week something went wrong and it appears I may have torn my bicep muscle from the bone. Physiotherapist is reasonably sure but wants to confirm by ultrasound. Damn, it hurts!

Not sure of the treatment plan or prognosis at this early stage.
He is probably describing the longhead bicep coming adrift. Not overly rare for those who do heavy lifting or gym work and one they typically do not bother re-attaching. You will get what is referred to as a popeye muscle out of it.

Alternatively, if he is instead referring to a substantial tearing of part of the rotator cuff (the muscle will still be atached), then you can be in for a long and painful recovery post surgery. I hope you like morphine.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:17 am

I just deleted my flippant comment when I realised it was not a news headline but you were injured. Ouch indeed. Best wishes for a speedy and relatively comfortable recovery.

Sent using Tapatalk so don't blame me!

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm pleased to report that the physio appears to be wrong and it is nothing more than a nasty sprain. I have almost full range of movement with minimal pain at the moment. I haven't been back in the pool but will go slowly with that. Managed a 60km ride with no major consequences.

Phew!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:37 pm

TraceyG wrote:I'm pleased to report that the physio appears to be wrong and it is nothing more than a nasty sprain. I have almost full range of movement with minimal pain at the moment. I haven't been back in the pool but will go slowly with that. Managed a 60km ride with no major consequences.

Phew!
I assume it showed up on ultrasound.

In my experience with physios they are usually pretty clued up and great at spotting things. So I tend to listen to their advice. Better to be sure than sorry.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

TraceyG wrote:I'm pleased to report that the physio appears to be wrong and it is nothing more than a nasty sprain. I have almost full range of movement with minimal pain at the moment. I haven't been back in the pool but will go slowly with that. Managed a 60km ride with no major consequences.

Phew!
Phew indeed! That is great news! :D
<removed by request>