"Addicted" to desserts

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
zill wrote:casual_cyclist, I love this yogurt and fruit idea so much that I am considering having it as a meal (so a lot of yogurt and a lot of fruit). You should that is good?
Some people call this concept breakfast!! ;) I do it for dinner when I've had a big lunch and want something light for dinner. I mix chia seeds in there too as they are meant to be healthy and I like them. Or a small handful of seeds to give me some crunch. I'd only look to have around 150-200g though. Any more gets too much for me.
Had 500g of greek yogurt with a pack of berries and a banana. Is that too much?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

zill wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:
zill wrote:casual_cyclist, I love this yogurt and fruit idea so much that I am considering having it as a meal (so a lot of yogurt and a lot of fruit). You should that is good?
Some people call this concept breakfast!! ;) I do it for dinner when I've had a big lunch and want something light for dinner. I mix chia seeds in there too as they are meant to be healthy and I like them. Or a small handful of seeds to give me some crunch. I'd only look to have around 150-200g though. Any more gets too much for me.
Had 500g of greek yogurt with a pack of berries and a banana. Is that too much?
Don't judge your food intake requirements on mine or anyone else's.

You have eaten around half on my average daily intake in yoghurt. I couldnt do that. I also haven't eaten a banana in 12 years due to an intolerance.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:46 am

zill wrote:Had 500g of greek yogurt with a pack of berries and a banana. Is that too much?
We can't say. It depends on your weight, your goals, your height, your activity levels, what else you ate that day and basal metabolic rate (to name a few). For a meal it sounds about right but it really depends on how much you need and what you already ate for the day.
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I've just realised that Greek Yogurt is good on salty food such as chicken as well!!!

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 am

Greek yoghurt is great - I use it on everything from muesli to curry.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 am

matagi wrote:Greek yoghurt is great - I use it on everything from muesli to curry.
But are there negatives about having them (or eating relatively excessive amounts of them)?

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:14 am

There are negatives from eating too much of anything, as usual everything in moderation is fine assuming it makes you feel good.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:33 am

matagi wrote:Greek yoghurt is great - I use it on everything from muesli to curry.
I buy full fat plain greek yoghurt. I use it in smoothies, cereal, pancakes and on the side with savory dishes. Overall I end up eating a couple of kilos a week.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:01 pm

zill wrote:Had 500g of greek yogurt with a pack of berries and a banana. Is that too much?
That's a lot and may be a way of sneaking in the sugar you are trying to wean off

If you need that much dessert food, then what about breaking it up into a couple of serves and eating them at separate times? That will spread the protein intake making it more effective
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

zill

Postby zill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
I buy full fat plain greek yoghurt. I use it in smoothies, cereal, pancakes and on the side with savory dishes. Overall I end up eating a couple of kilos a week.
Experience any side effects of eating that much Greek yogurt?

zill

Postby zill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
That's a lot and may be a way of sneaking in the sugar you are trying to wean off

If you need that much dessert food, then what about breaking it up into a couple of serves and eating them at separate times? That will spread the protein intake making it more effective
But at least I'm not consuming "empty calories" that comes from eating pure desserts like cakes and biscuits?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Yes without a doubt its a better choice than previous, its just too much to eat in a single sitting. Your body will only utilise so much from a single sitting and will convert the excess to storage even if that excess is protein.

Are you eating this dessert at Dinner time? If so why not half the amount and eat the other half just before you go to bed

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 pm

zill wrote:
But at least I'm not consuming "empty calories" that comes from eating pure desserts like cakes and biscuits?
There are cakes and there are cakes. It is MUCH better than your traditional cakes.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:46 pm

zill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Nope.
<removed by request>

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Have you tried less yoghurt and more banana? Apparently they are all goodness and you could have 2 or 3 or more if you liked them. They'd be more filling than berries. So perhaps increase bananas and decrease yoghurt in a single sitting?

zill

Postby zill » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:50 am

Yogurt and fruit is good but still not the same as solid cakes etc.

I've got a plan now of not avoiding desserts but have plenty of them for breakfast only. This means eliminating my usual breakfast of bacon and eggs. But have no more desserts for the rest of the day. This way I might even get sick of desserts after a while and naturally not want them eventually. In the mean time I read that a high carb breakfast is actually good for endurance sports.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am

I didn't read the whole thread, but just wanted to mention stevia if no one else has. It's low calories sugar alcohol extracted from plants which doesn't spike blood glucose and tastes very similar to sugar, especially when mixed with other flavours.

Recently I tried a stevia chocolate milk mix and it is hard to believe it doesn't contain sucrose. It is however too sweet, so I mix it with raw cocoa.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am

High carbs is good when you need lots of calories, its a easy way to get them in

I eat bacon, eggs and vegetables for breakfast. Why vegetables? cos then it doesn't matter what food crimes I commit for the rest of the day, I have at least still had veges

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
zill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: I buy full fat plain greek yoghurt. I use it in smoothies, cereal, pancakes and on the side with savory dishes. Overall I end up eating a couple of kilos a week.
Nope.
It's thought to raise serotonin levels. :-)

casual_cyclist

Re:

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I buy full fat plain greek yoghurt. I use it in smoothies, cereal, pancakes and on the side with savory dishes. Overall I end up eating a couple of kilos a week.
zill wrote:Experience any side effects of eating that much Greek yogurt?
casual_cyclist wrote:Nope.
kb wrote:It's thought to raise serotonin levels. :-)
Maybe that's why I feel so good about it! :wink: :lol:
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 pm

What do people think about my breakfast idea of pure indulgence for the day?

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:40 pm

I think it's fantastic, probably not a better way to start the day, let us know how you go.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:41 pm

zill wrote:What do people think about my breakfast idea of pure indulgence for the day?
It's up to you. If you do it, see how you go. It does sound like it could work.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Nutrition and energy wise, what do you want from your breakfast?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:28 pm

zill wrote:What do people think about my breakfast idea of pure indulgence for the day?
Lol, you start the day with bacon and eggs and finish it with desert. If I did that I would be twice he size I am now - which is to big already!!

There's a saying that goes
- eat breakfast like a king
- eat lunch like a rich man
- eat dinner like a beggar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass