Dodgy feet

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
sutty451

Dodgy feet

Postby sutty451 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 pm

HI, recently had a retul fit and some issues discussed with the fitter ended with me doing the 'specialized' foot tester (stand on the board and it changes colour...you know the one). He recommended the blue spesh footbeds (to go in my sidi ergo 3's). There was an obvious huge difference between the spesh footbeds and the insoles that came with the sidi's.
I also ended up with a 3mm shim under my left cleat.

Since then, my left foot is great, feels brilliant, really well supported in the shoe. not so the right foot, which feels a bit squashed and is also causing a fair bit of pain - pain doesnt start immediately, normally around 5km's in, pain is across the foot just below the pad and down the right side of my foot. I have taken to stopping mid ride and moving the footbed around (pushing it more into one side of the shoe etc) in an attempt to find a 'sweet spot' but to no avail. The pain isnt constant, sometimes it goes away, sometimes it comes back. Its not that bad that it stops me riding but it really is beginning to drive me mad.

Clearly the blue footbed isnt right for my 'right foot', and Im not sure what to do next.

Are there some other insole options that are worth considering, or should I go and see a podiatrist?

Probably know that a podiatrist is the 'proper' option, just thinking that I cant be the only person to have this or a similar problem to keen to hear the experiences of others.

Cheers

Tony

tamagojo

Re: Dodgy feet

Postby tamagojo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't know where you are, but Jenny King is a podiatrist and cyclist.
She is associated with pedallab.

Knows what she's talking about

http://pedallab.com/products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SBM107SH using Tapatalk

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 pm

You either have two feet with vastly different morphology (shape, contour, size or motion) or you are loading the right foot differently to the left. My guess is the latter - which means the fit hasn't addressed the reason you are loading one foot more than the other. Most Retul fits end up far too high - try lowering the saddle in 5mm increments for a ride or two on each position and see if your foot symptoms improve.

If the two feet are actually anatomically that different (which they almost certainly are not) then I would suggest a pair of G8 Archtech Pro insoles with customisable arch lifts. They have a website somewhere, google them and have a look. It's probably not the fault of the footbed itself though, more the gross dimensions of the bike position being wrong and causing you to function assymmetrically. I rarely see a good Retul position unfortunately.

sutty451

Postby sutty451 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Cheers for replies, am in Perth.
Will try the seat option and see how go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 pm

I can give Ben (AT) Activate Physio a good plug. He has fixed my feet up for everyday issues after a normal podiatrist screwed up my feet..... Left a roll in my orthotics which moved my trackin off my big toe onto metatarsal head which gave me metatarsal bursitis and the beginnings of capsulitis. Yes he is a physio so understands how foot integrates with the body and he works with a canadian lab to do orthotics.
I've got custom ones from him for my normal shoes and a 2nd pair that are slimmer for my cycling shoes. If your with medibank you will get rebated, HBF nope.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810