Cycling and Hips

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
husked

Cycling and Hips

Postby husked » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 pm

My girlfriend has sustained what is believed to be a deep tissue, hip socket injury and has had to come off her bike for awhile and resort to physio for therapy, she's pretty bummed out about being grounded so I thought I'd ask on here whether anyone out there has sustained an injury to their interior hip or around the iliopsoas, or major inner groin injury and has managed to cycle with it or use cycling as an exercise method of recovery. Her physio has mentioned that she can cycle but doesn't advise long periods of time, she wanted to do the Rapha100 in Melbourne but has had to pull out. Can anyone recommend exercises on or off the bike to help alleviate her symptoms.
Thanks in advance.

Parker

Re: Cycling and Hips

Postby Parker » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Suggest she peaks to the physio about the exercises she does, a friend of mine who has a hip injury went a head without physio consultation and did some exercise and is now back to square one.

Honestly a forum is not the place for such a question, this is why the physio is a physio. If the physio says rest then it's likely that they mean in.

The only thing that might help is water walking in a warm pool, but once again, ask the physio.

foo on patrol

Re: Cycling and Hips

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:42 pm

If the Physio is not a Sports Physio, then I would suggest she sees/seeks one! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Dr_Mutley

Cycling and Hips

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 pm

foo on patrol wrote:If the Physio is not a Sports Physio, then I would suggest she sees/seeks one! :idea:

Foo
As a past physio, how do u spot a sports physio from just a "physio"? Is it the name on the door? [WINKING FACE]

Husked:
U probably need to provide a lot more info about your partners issue if u want any reasonable answers. The main info just to start would be:

How did the initial injury occur? Was it bike related?

What is the current (specific) diagnosis? If the physio diagnosis is "some sort of hip socket thing" then u need someone more knowledgable on the case...

What are the aggravating/easing factors with the injury?

What's her past exercise/bike history?

Has she had a reputable bike fit?

Start with those questions and the wealth of professional knowledge on this forum might be able to assist u with some relevant advice. None of this will replace seeing a GOOD practitioner in person, but it may assist u in identifying the factors and questions to ask/consider to identify who useful the practitioner is u are seeing...