Oats v Rice, for fuel

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
husked

Oats v Rice, for fuel

Postby husked » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:42 pm

With regards to long rides and sustaining fuel.
I'd been trying to cook up some oat slices over rice cakes for ride fuel.
Would a longer sustained fuel source be better on the bike or stick to the tried and true rice like everyone else?
I know rice keeps poorly so I've been looking for other recipes and better shelf life from my products.

foo on patrol

Re: Oats v Rice, for fuel

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:59 am

An interesting question and one that I will be keen to see the answers that come up. :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

reefer

Postby reefer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:45 pm

I have watched a few utubes on rice cakes and they seem good.

If (can?) you freeze them surely they will keep? I know up here they would not take long to defrost in my back pocket.

I have tried to make Oat slices and my own muesli bars, in the end I just went back to the banana, however, I don’t really do long rides, maybe up to 3.5 hours.

husked

Postby husked » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:46 pm

I like bananas on rides too, and I've been keen to try rice cakes its just the shelf life and the prep that seems to worry me, since they're refrigerated, their solidity, types of rice and such from what I've read it can take a bit to get right so that it fridge sets properly. But I love steel cut oats and they're damn tasty when mixed with other things, I tried cooking steel cut with a thicker consistency, refrigerated to set and then cut into slices and baked for 45 mins, the result was interesting, they had the feel of a rice cake but they were oats.. Cooked in parts water and coconut milk, dried fruits and honey and spices added to the mix, the final product didn't really fall apart which was good but it didn't turn out a museli bar, it was interesting.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:25 pm

I've made some raw oat bars previously. Not sure how they'd cope on longer rides, but they contain "better" sugars and are quite calorific.I liked them, though next time I make them I'll try raspberries for a stronger fruit flavour. This is what I base mine on:

http://petiteallergytreats.blogspot.com ... -free.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has lots of oat recipes they may inspire.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:08 pm

How about Anzaac biscuits.
Very simple recipes on the web.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 pm

husked wrote:With regards to long rides and sustaining fuel.
I'd been trying to cook up some oat slices over rice cakes for ride fuel.
Would a longer sustained fuel source be better on the bike or stick to the tried and true rice like everyone else?
I know rice keeps poorly so I've been looking for other recipes and better shelf life from my products.
I made rice patties for a few long rides, > 12 hours in summer and didn't have any problems with them. The rice patties are: rice, cheese, breadcrumbs, tomato sauce and eggs all mixed up and fried. Probably shelf life isn't too good but the eggs are cooked right? :wink:

Better than that is a no egg "cake", All Bran Loaf. I really like to eat that on long rides and there should no be any issues with shelf life. I really like it because it is fast carbs, slow carbs and dried fruit.

The recipe is:
1 cup All Bran
1 cup sugar (soft brown for a richer taste or raw if you don't have brown)
1 cup mixed fruit
1 cup milk
1 cup SR flour

Preheat oven to 325F / 170C
1. Mix All Bran, sugar and fruit in a bowl, pour on milk and let stand for about an hour.
2. Add the sifted flour and mix well.
3. Put mixture in tin and bake for about an hour until skewer comes out clean.
I just slice it up and put it in sandwich bags so I can eat while I am riding or at a stop. So good! :D
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

I used to eat Rice flakes for breakfast, was hungry quicker then when I had oats.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Bananas,walnuts, and fruit cake make good ride snacks. When touring I often have boiled eggs as they keep in their shell without refrigeration for a couple of days.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Eat whatever you enjoy most. That way you will carb up good and proper and have enough energy both on and off the bike, at home, with kids, partner etc.

Being undercarbed = underproductive.
Vegan since 2001.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Just need to remember to consume more mass of oats vs rice for the same amount of fuel - all the fibre is doing zero for that purpose.