Porridge

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Top_Bhoy

Re: Porridge

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:56 pm

zill wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote:I place 60g of Coles quick oats into a (deepish) bowl, cover the oats with boiling water and pop into the microwave for 70 seconds at full power. Leave to stand for a minute or so and serve with milk. Quick and simple to make at work and a healthy choice. I prefer not to but it would be easy to add fruit of your choice to sweeten it if desired.

Are you trying to lose weight? Is this all your breakfast?
Indeed I am trying to lose weight and that is brekkie. If I have the porridge at around 9am I feel full until lunchtime when I have my main meal of the day. That then carries me through to the evening where I have a couple of lighter food portions such as eggs, yoghurt, berries.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
zill wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote:I place 60g of Coles quick oats into a (deepish) bowl, cover the oats with boiling water and pop into the microwave for 70 seconds at full power. Leave to stand for a minute or so and serve with milk. Quick and simple to make at work and a healthy choice. I prefer not to but it would be easy to add fruit of your choice to sweeten it if desired.

Are you trying to lose weight? Is this all your breakfast?
Indeed I am trying to lose weight and that is brekkie. If I have the porridge at around 9am I feel full until lunchtime when I have my main meal of the day. That then carries me through to the evening where I have a couple of lighter food portions such as eggs, yoghurt, berries.

Trying to lose weight here as well except i have 80g of oates with 40g of skim milk powder and a tablespoon of honey.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but....
" That's No how you make porridge!" :-)
and you have to do it in Top_Bhoy's accent...

https://youtu.be/UTcA-e6bqVY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rodneycc on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 pm

best recipe I've seen for a more nutritionally complete porridge
(courtesy of Team Sky)

- banana puree (2 bananas boiled in water and a little sugar....drain off water, add a little creme fresh, and mash and set aside)

- 1/2 cup raw oats
- 1 tblspn raw quinoa
- 2/3 cup water (from banana puree prep)
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod sliced and diced
- 1 tspn lemon zest
boil all ingredients until nicely mixed and grains are soft

when serving
- 1/2 cup mixed berries marinaded in agave spooned on top of banana puree which is spooned on top of porridge
- 2 tspn ground mixed seeds on top of berries (flax, chia, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, and dried goji berries)

I've made this and it's brilliant. though I used yogurt rather than creme fresh.
Another seed you might want to try is paw paw seed. Leave them out in the sun until dry, and grind up roughly.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:08 pm

CKinnard wrote:best recipe I've seen for a more nutritionally complete porridge
(courtesy of Team Sky)

- banana puree (2 bananas boiled in water and a little sugar....drain off water, add a little creme fresh, and mash and set aside)

- 1/2 cup raw oats
- 1 tblspn raw quinoa
- 2/3 cup water (from banana puree prep)
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod sliced and diced
- 1 tspn lemon zest
boil all ingredients until nicely mixed and grains are soft

when serving
- 1/2 cup mixed berries marinaded in agave spooned on top of banana puree which is spooned on top of porridge
- 2 tspn ground mixed seeds on top of berries (flax, chia, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, and dried goji berries)

I've made this and it's brilliant. though I used yogurt rather than creme fresh.
Another seed you might want to try is paw paw seed. Leave them out in the sun until dry, and grind up roughly.
1/2 cups of raw oates is just not enough oats! Is this a snack?

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 pm

zill wrote: 1/2 cups of raw oates is just not enough oats! Is this a snack?
Seriously? My breakfast is 1/4 cup rolled oats cooked up with 3/4 cup milk and served with a tablespoon of stewed rhubarb (plus a caffe latte)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:08 pm

There's 500 Cals in that dish.

Most males trying to lose weight eat ~1500 Calories/day.
Team Sky also have fruit smoothies and a cooked meal for brekkie.

Make it with as much grain as you desire.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Is raw oats much different to quick oats? If so how?

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:38 pm

My typical breakfast is 530 calories and I consider it light. I don't ride in the morning so don't need too much food for breakfast. These pro cyclists are getting a small breakfast!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:45 am

zill wrote:My typical breakfast is 530 calories and I consider it light. I don't ride in the morning so don't need too much food for breakfast. These pro cyclists are getting a small breakfast!
As I said above, the porridge is one of three items the cyclists have for breakfast. The other are smoothies and a cooked breakfast, like scrambled eggs with toast and vege. They'd be having 1300-1800 Cals for breakfast.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 am

zill wrote:Is raw oats much different to quick oats? If so how?
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-diff ... cut-138355

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 am

CKinnard wrote:
zill wrote:My typical breakfast is 530 calories and I consider it light. I don't ride in the morning so don't need too much food for breakfast. These pro cyclists are getting a small breakfast!
As I said above, the porridge is one of three items the cyclists have for breakfast. The other are smoothies and a cooked breakfast, like scrambled eggs with toast and vege. They'd be having 1300-1800 Cals for breakfast.
Makes more sense!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:09 pm

I've stopped using milk on my oats and have moved onto organic almond milk. I'm definitely a lot less gassy for it [emoji1]

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:09 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I've stopped using milk on my oats and have moved onto organic almond milk. I'm definitely a lot less gassy for it [emoji1]
why?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:29 pm

I think I am a bit lactose intolerant

zill

Postby zill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

fair enough

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:25 pm

rodneycc wrote:Not sure if anyone has said this yet but....
" That's No how you make porridge!" :-)
and you have to do it in Top_Bhoy's accent...

https://youtu.be/UTcA-e6bqVY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank Rodney for the trip down memory lane. I had forgotten about that advert but probably because there is only one porage and that's Scotts Porage oats. :D

Unfortunately I made the mistake of reading some the comments in the YouTube link and its concerning there are people out there posting such vile comments over a simple, fun, advert.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 pm

In my books, porridge is just a word that means any grain cooked in water or milk, and has additions whether savory or sweet.
Personally, I like Asian congee, which is rice based.

From Wiki's porridge entry:

"Congee, a common East Asian, Southeast Asian and South Asian dish of boiled-down rice:

In Sri Lanka congee is prepared with many ingredients. As a porridge, Sinhala people mainly use coconut milk with rice flour, it is known as "Kiriya."
Chinese congee, called zhou in Mandarin, and juk in Cantonese, can be served with a century egg, salted duck egg, pork, cilantro, fried wonton noodles, or you tiao, deep-fried dough strips.
Indonesian and Malaysian congee, called bubur, comes in many regional varieties, such as bubur sumsum, made from rice flour boiled with coconut milk then served with palm sugar sauce; and also bubur manado or tinutuan, a rice porridge mixed with various vegetables and eaten with fried salted fish and chili sauce.
Japanese congee, called kayu, is mixed with salt and green onions. Often accompanied with variety of foods such as tsukemono (preserved vegetables), shiokara (preserved seafoods), and so on.
Korean congee, called juk, can have added seafood, pine nuts, mushrooms, etc.
Thai congee, called "khao tom" (ข้าวต้ม), can have added coriander, preserved duck eggs, fish sauce, sliced chili peppers, pickled mustard greens or salt cabbage preserves, red pepper flakes, etc.
Vietnamese congee, called cháo, can be made with beef or chicken stock and contains fish sauce and ginger. It is often served with scallions, coleslaw, and fried sticks of bread.
Philippine congee, called lugaw or arroz caldo, contains saffron, ginger, and sometimes meat. Less common ingredients include boiled eggs, pepper, chilies, puto, lumpiang toge, tofu, fish sauce, calamansi sauce, toyo, and spring onions. It is common as a street food."