Porridge

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Porridge

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:18 pm

SydneyRider wrote:Appreciate the feedback re my question on oats in porridge, and whether or not they require cooking prior to eating.
It was an interesting question with some interesting answers. Following on from that, I ate raw oats for about 3 weeks... 5 times a week. They ended up giving me gastric problems. I wonder if that is because I didn't compensate by drinking extra water, I didn't give my digestive bacteria long enough to adapt, I'm sensitive to something in raw oats or something else. I wonder if I could mitigate the effects by increasing the amount more slowly, instead of going from zero days a week to every day, if I started off at (say) three times a week with a day's rest in between. It's interesting because a) I really like eating them, b) they make a dam cheap breakfast, c) they stop me eating until lunch time and d) I'm less hungry for the rest of the day. I think I'm going to try a couple of times a week, see how that goes and build up from there if everything if ok.
<removed by request>

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am

The Carmans range is good... I like it!
Not just the porridges, but the Muesli's and the bars that they sell too.
Its good stuff.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

I don't particularly like eating them raw either due to the bloating (I usually eat 2 cups uncooked every morning), but as others as suggested soaking them overnight and eating them the following morning (without cooking), does the job fine.
Steel - is - real

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 am

I just put 100g-150g in a bowl, add hilo milk, let it sit for a minute or so then zap it in the microwave for 3-4mins until it starts to overflow.
Add honey & cinnamon and then it's good to go.

And yes, homebrand whole rolled oats is best.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 am

Quinoa porridge = yumo!

RonK

Porridge

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:13 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I ate raw oats for about 3 weeks... 5 times a week. They ended up giving me gastric problems.
Not surprising. Oats are great for horses too, but give them too much and they'll founder and very likely have to be put down. Might humans be affected the same? They shoot horses - don't they!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:03 am

Re: gastric problems...

When I was struggling with the late-morning-hungries, for a while I tried to overcome them by eating more and more porridge for breakfast.

Being lazy, I was just buying quick oats, pouring in boiling water, waiting a few minutes, then getting stuck in. Occasionally adding extras (sultanas, chopped dates, various seeds, whatever). I was eating well over a cup (dry) of oats, probably around 2 cups at the peak.

I had to stop because of the flatulence.

I'm not sure whether it was the quantity, the partial cookedness of them [1], the processing that goes into making them "quick", or what. But I was making a massive contribution to the greenhouse effect every day. I enjoy a good fart as much as the next guy, but it was getting beyond amusing.

I gave up on my porridge and went back to eating 5+ weet-bix for breakfast every morning. And suffering massive hunger pangs by 10:30 ever morning.

I eventually solved my insatiable late morning appetite by quitting breakfast altogether, but that's another story.

tim

[1] they were still a bit gritty, not smooth textured like properly cooked porridge... at least for the first dozen spoon fulls. It got better the further into the meal I got, as the ingredients had more time to soak up the water and mush up a bit

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 am

2cups dry is a lot of oats, an incredible amount of complex carbs.
Did you try smaller quantities?

You sound like me after eating subway for lunch.... gassy

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 am

Rex wrote:2cups dry is a lot of oats, an incredible amount of complex carbs.
Did you try smaller quantities?
Well, I didn't just wake up one morning and say "You know, I think I might eat a soup bowl full of porridge this morning, I wonder if there's any oats in the house". I worked up to it.

As I said, I was looking for solutions to an insatiable late-morning appetite that didn't involve trips to the chocolate and chips machine. Bulk amounts of oats worked better than most other things I tried (including, of course, smaller quantities of oats) but the side effects were unmanageable.

I suspect there was a lot of undigested oat-stuff going straight through me, feeding some gas-producing flora in parts of my intestine that don't usually get much nutrition. Not a nutritionist, but that could also explain why I didn't put on 100kg from putting a stupid amount of energy down my throat.

tim

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes.

IIRC, that is 6 servings of homebrand (woolies and coles) oats. 1 serving = 30g, ~90g/cup, IOW, one serving = 1/3 cup. 30g = 114 kcal, so that is 650-700kcal in a bowl - just the oats add probably another 100kcal for the milk and sweeteners.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 pm

simonn wrote:
Yes.

IIRC, that is 6 servings of homebrand (woolies and coles) oats. 1 serving = 30g, ~90g/cup, IOW, one serving = 1/3 cup. 30g = 114 kcal, so that is 650-700kcal in a bowl - just the oats add probably another 100kcal for the milk and sweeteners.
That must be why I didn't get fat then.

No milk and sweeteners :lol:

(Other than fruit, that is. Sultanas and/or dates. Sometimes. Usually just the oats).

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 pm

barefoot wrote:
simonn wrote:
Yes.

That must be why I didn't get fat then.

No milk and sweeteners :lol:

(Other than fruit, that is. Sultanas and/or dates. Sometimes. Usually just the oats).
You must ride a lot...? :)

Sultana's and dates are really high calorie - to the point that my PT recommends them over gels for riding outside of racing (e.g. audax and stuff) - they just have other stuff as well so are not entirely empty calories.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:16 pm

I never use to have breakfast but was always eating to much at lunch and dinner. I now eat a cup of organic quick oats (Coles or woolies brand are cheap and yum) cold with some lite milk, Greek yogurt, a spoonful of trail mix, 3 x pitted dates and honey. Very filling but I'm still eating to much for lunch and dinner :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 pm

How are you people fitting in that much podge?!?! 2/3rds of a cup is the max for me

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Some of use are of a more robust build. Plus I have years of binge eating practice from boarding school and the army :)

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:19 am

My secret is a history of binge eating and morbid obesity :lol:

I can, and still do, eat like a machine. about 200g oats is *part* of my daily breakfast. When riding a lot, and often it is 4 hrs before 6 am for days or weeks on end, then it's many bananas, museli bars and sandwiches during the ride, protein shake after ride followed by "breakfast" of massive 200g (dry) porridge serve around 7am. Morning teas at 10am, heavy lunch at midday, afternoon tea at 3pm, but not normally much in the evening before bed by 7pm.

I eat genuinely 5000 Cal a day. Drop it to 4000 and I lose weight. Drop to a very low 3000 and I lose weight fast! I like riding and I like eating :lol:

Conversely, when I don't ride I put on weight because I still like the eating. Like this month I had 3 weeks off riding completely. And appear to up to 5kg heavier....

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:19 am

RonK wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I ate raw oats for about 3 weeks... 5 times a week. They ended up giving me gastric problems.
Not surprising. Oats are great for horses too, but give them too much and they'll founder and very likely have to be put down. Might humans be affected the same? They shoot horses - don't they!
I wasn't having big serves. I probably just needed more time for my intestinal flora to adapt. My pod buddy has the same thing every day and doesn't have any problems.

In either case, I hope I don't founder... don't want to be put down! :shock: :lol:
<removed by request>

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 am

michael_w wrote:I also do an overnight oat type thing - also using the Yummy Life originally as inspiration.

I use:

- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chia
- 1/3 mashed banana
- a splash of maple syrup
- cinnamon

I generally make 6 at a time and refrigerate.

The oats and the chia do a great job of sopping up the liquid and making a great, firm porridge.

I love this and I find it interesting particularly because I can't stand normal porridge.

I've also tried it with stewed apple instead of banana. It's OK, but I prefer the banana.
I've been eating these overnight oats quite regularly. This week I didn't make any so I grabbed some rolled oats to take to work on Tuesday.

I whipped up some porridge at work in the microwave and it wasn't as awful as I remember. I used 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup skim milk and followed the suggested cooking instructions.

Very bland on their own so I added a teaspoon of sugar and half a mashed banana. That was ok.

Today I added half a chopped apple and a few sultanas. That was a little better. I might whip up some stewed apple at home to bring in and add to it with some sultanas.

One thing I did notice was that it certainly kept me full until lunch time.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Stewed rhubarb is good too if you don't like too much sweetness in your porridge.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm

michael_w wrote:I whipped up some porridge at work in the microwave and it wasn't as awful as I remember. I used 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup skim milk and followed the suggested cooking instructions.

Very bland on their own so I added a teaspoon of sugar and half a mashed banana. That was ok.
That's interesting you find it bland. A couple of times I have just put some oats and full cream milk in a mug and cooked in the microwave to leave it slightly undercooked. I like it just like that. No salt or no sugar or any additives. I found it tasty like that.
<removed by request>

zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:56 am

For the fastest preparation of warm but not boiling hot Oates, mix Oates, milk powder and your fav toppings in a bowl. Heat water in an electrical jug until warm but not boiling and pour into Oates and mix.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 pm

I eat oats/porridge every morning, without fail. Even during my recent trip to France, I shunned the croissants and the other French breakfast goodies and ate oats for breakfast, just like I do here in Sydney. I often thought to myself 'I'm only in France for 1 month and I may never be here again, so I should be making the most of eating a French style breakfast, croissants/French toast etc', but when it came down to it, I just preferred to eat the oats.

This is how I do it,

I combine about 1 cup of Woolworths Home Brand rolled oats (not quick oats), about half a cup of Woolworths Home Brand Processed Bran (the wormy shaped one similar to Kelloggs All Bran) and half a cup of Woolworths Home Brand Unprocessed Bran in a bowl, chop up a banana on top and pour boil'ng water over it until the water comes up about level with the top of the mix. While that soaks in, I heat half to 3/4 of a cup of milk in the microwave and then pour that over the top. If I'm feeling like a bit of extra sweetness I'll occasionally add some plain natural Greek Yoghurt (never flavoured yoghurt), or a few sultanas, or a handful of a sweeter cereal such as Cornflakes, Nutri Grain, Cheerios etc. I sprinkle this on top of the mix (after adding the boiling water and hot milk) cos I like to retain some crunch factor.

I like it so much I literally often wake up in the night feeling hungry and I can hardly wait till morning comes to eat it. It keeps me satisfied for 5-6 hours before I need to eat again.
Last edited by Arlberg on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I place 60g of Coles quick oats into a (deepish) bowl, cover the oats with boiling water and pop into the microwave for 70 seconds at full power. Leave to stand for a minute or so and serve with milk. Quick and simple to make at work and a healthy choice. I prefer not to but it would be easy to add fruit of your choice to sweeten it if desired.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:I place 60g of Coles quick oats into a (deepish) bowl, cover the oats with boiling water and pop into the microwave for 70 seconds at full power. Leave to stand for a minute or so and serve with milk. Quick and simple to make at work and a healthy choice. I prefer not to but it would be easy to add fruit of your choice to sweeten it if desired.

Are you trying to lose weight? Is this all your breakfast?

zill

Postby zill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Arlberg wrote:
I combine about 1 cup of Woolworths Home Brand raw rolled oats (not quick oats)
Thought quick oats was just normal oats chopped into finer bits.