Porridge

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
anttismo

Porridge

Postby anttismo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 am

I thought I'd stick this is cycling health because it's related to diet. For me porridge is a huge cornerstone of my nutritional intake :)

So I eat a lot of porridge. At least 1 serve a day, where a serve is about 200g of dry stuff, on the weekends it can be 2, and even 3 in the extreme. That much dry stuff is a lot, especially for smaller people and people on relatively low calorie diets. 200g of dry stuff boils up to 1kg or more final product...

Anyway, I use mostly oats, but also semolina, rice, spelt grain and those "5 grain" type mixes that you can find. And I tend to boil it mostly in water, but do use some milk as well. Anyone have as good suggestions on what to make porridge from guidance for good ways of making it?

I'll kick things off with one of my favourites, oat/semolina in water/milk.

Bring 100g rolled oats to boil in 500ml of water. Simmer gently for 5 or 10 mins before adding 500 milk (I mostly use half fat stuff) and 100g of semolina. Simmer for 5 or 10 mins while stirring as it thickens. I also a add bit of salt. Let it cool for a good 15 minutes before eating straight from the pot. Gives it time to get a new think skin.

Can be served with any combination of butter, cold milk, sugar, cinnamon or just plain. I like it plain, especially with think skin :)

So I'm looking for new ideas, so please feel free to add ideas of what to make into porridge or how to make it. Like I've tried potato and pasta, neither are as good as oats, rice and semolina :)

Tim

Re: Porridge

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:56 pm

If you soak the oats overnight in the cooking pot you only have to heat rather than boil them in the morning.
This supposedly reduces the amount of nutrient loss (vitamin E?) due to boiling.
I had elevated blood cholesterol levels a few years ago but no weight issues at 62kg's.
Oats and oat bran in particular were recommended. Nowadays I combine about 0.25 cup of oats and about 0.75 cup of oat bran.
Cholesterol levels are back to normal thanks to this, an overall improvement in diet and regular exercise.
The Scotts eat porridge with salt (yuck), I like mine with dates and honey.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Tim wrote:If you soak the oats overnight in the cooking pot you only have to heat rather than boil them in the morning.
This supposedly reduces the amount of nutrient loss (vitamin E?) due to boiling.
I had elevated blood cholesterol levels a few years ago but no weight issues at 62kg's.
Oats and oat bran in particular were recommended. Nowadays I combine about 0.25 cup of oats and about 0.75 cup of oat bran.
Cholesterol levels are back to normal thanks to this, an overall improvement in diet and regular exercise.
The Scotts eat porridge with salt (yuck), I like mine with dates and honey.
I put a pinch of salt in mine otherwise I find them really bland, those being plain quick oats and water.
A guy at work saw me adding salt the other day and asked if I was Scottish :)
As I explained it's like making a basic cake or biscuits, the salt doesn't make it taste "salty" just knocks the blandness out.
I do sweeten it after with either honey/sugar and a cut banana too.

reefer

Postby reefer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Oats, Honey and Salt in water, and we buy home brand which is wayyyyyyy cheaper than named brands. :wink:
We also prefer full rolled oats for the texture, “quick oats” is just oats chopped up and turns to mush.

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:59 pm

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker ... on_Oatmeal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really good this one

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I was on a non dairy kick a while back and found out by accident that oats cooked in oat milk were totally kickin'. Like porridge squared, I suppose. Bit of honey, grate sone nutmeg over, slivered almonds or sunflower seeds ir whatever = chipper!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 am

Samuel Johnson's 18th Century dictionary defined oats as 'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.".

I quite like it, and will add different things to it at different times, including rhubarb, crushed nuts, banana, sultanas, shredded coconut and cooking chocolate buttons. :-)

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 am

We love porridge in winter. Our favourite is 1/2 cup of quick oats, 6 chopped dates, ground cinnamon, pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in a bowl. Fill bowl with milk (probably about a cup of milk). Microwave for 2 mins, stir, 2 lots of 30secs + stir, may need another 10 - 20 secs to get the consistency I like. Then eat and enjoy.

OB
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't feel like eating in the morning but I got sick of being hungry until lunch time. So I started making overnight oats at work before I went home and eating them when I get to work on the morning because I'm hungry after a ride. I have been eating overnight oats for 3 weeks now. I don't measure the amount of oats, I just pour some into a jar (roughly the same each day), pour in enough milk to cover and leave overnight. 1 kg made me 15 serves, so it's a pretty cheap breakfast for me. I have had them plain, good, with honey flavoured greek yoghurt, really good, and with plain greek yoghurt, ok.

However, they have played havoc with my digestion. If you eat overnight oats, be prepared to drink a significant amount of extra water. I didn't and it caused problems :oops:

I'm thinking of switching to full fat greek yoghurt and coconut milk instead, mainly because I'm missing heaps of training due to the weather, I just ran out of oats and I have a tub of yoghurt and a can of coconut milk to use up. I will go back to overnight oats when my training picks up. It's a cheap breakfast and a good source of carbs for me.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Oh yeah, there are heaps of flavours. I haven't tried anything fancy like this yet:

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I chuck in a handful of sultanas before cooking, a teaspoon of butter and a tablespoon of honey after cooking and stir it all up. I coom mine in soy milk.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

I also do an overnight oat type thing - also using the Yummy Life originally as inspiration.

I use:

- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chia
- 1/3 mashed banana
- a splash of maple syrup
- cinnamon

I generally make 6 at a time and refrigerate.

The oats and the chia do a great job of sopping up the liquid and making a great, firm porridge.

I love this and I find it interesting particularly because I can't stand normal porridge.

I've also tried it with stewed apple instead of banana. It's OK, but I prefer the banana.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Whatever you do, don't use kiwi fruit as an addition to your porridge. I tried it once using a whole cut up kiwi fruit and I swear it curdled the milk and made the porridge inedible because whatever happened to the kiwi fruit in the hot oats ruined both the kiwi and the oats.

Otherwise I use oats and milk (no water), microwave for one minute, stir, microwave for another, then add sultanas, honey, banana, apple slices or whatever else I have on hand (that isn't kiwi fruit). I've even used Milo, although that makes it even more sticky (but it does taste chocolatey). :)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 pm

@Summernight I imagine any acidic type food to curdle the milk. I would have thought apple would as well.

I have rolled oats every morning. I like it like mash.

I put quick oats it in a bowl and add hot water, then leave it over night with a plate covering the bowl
In the morning I heat it up in the microwave till it starts to over flow (about 3min 30 on my microwave). So i got to stick around for this bit.
Then I microwave for 5min on power level 2 (obviously specific to my microwave) where i can go do other stuff.
Then I add honey and fold in 2 egg whites.

oats in oats milk sounds funny, think I might try it.

For those who use other grains, do they go soft or stay crunchy/hard. Also be nice to know which are the ones that go soft/hard.

tamagojo

Postby tamagojo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I like to make a savoury version of porridge with curry paste and tuna.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Rolled oats, triticale, rye and barley cooked up in the microwave until tender. Splash of cinnamon, chopped fruit (banana or berries) and spoonful of rapadura sugar (unprocessed sugar- awesome stuff) is my current hot breakfast at work

Super duper yum :D

SydneyRider

Postby SydneyRider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

This might seem like a silly question, but why does the oats in Porridge require cooking prior to eating? The Muesli that I eat every morning contains rolled oats, and no cooking is required.

What is the difference between the rolled oats in Porridge and the rolled oats in Muesli that necessitates cooking?

Ron.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

It doesn't. As a kid we regulalry had rolled oats with milk straight up like breakfast cereal. I often throw the odd handfull in my mouth (same with museli or other cereals) as a snack :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

SydneyRider wrote:This might seem like a silly question, but why does the oats in Porridge require cooking prior to eating? The Muesli that I eat every morning contains rolled oats, and no cooking is required.

What is the difference between the rolled oats in Porridge and the rolled oats in Muesli that necessitates cooking?
The oats in Porridge do not require cooking prior to eating. Porridge is typically made from rolled oats and they are the same as in raw muesli. Toasted muesli is the same, but cooked. Of course, to make porridge, you have to cook the oats because porridge is cooked oats, just like toasted muesli is cooked muesli.

I don’t cook my rolled oats. I soak them in milk overnight to make overnight oats. I like them better than porridge.

To summarise:
Overnight oats are like raw muesli
Porridge is like toasted muesli.
<removed by request>

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

SydneyRider wrote:This might seem like a silly question, but why does the oats in Porridge require cooking prior to eating? The Muesli that I eat every morning contains rolled oats, and no cooking is required.

Ron.
According to the wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolled_oats, "Rolled oats are traditionally oat groats that have been de-husked, steamed and then rolled into flat flakes under heavy rollers before being stabilized by being lightly toasted."

So rolled oats have already been steamed and toasted, ie, partially/totally cooked, and so can be eaten as-is from the box (if you like). I've seen some smoothie recipes that add oats straight from the box to the blender, but it never sounded very appetising to me.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 pm

SydneyRider wrote:
The cooking bursts the grains so that the starch can make that slurry consistency.

Think cornflour in your gravy. :-)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:16 pm

I have been having porridge for breakfast every day for a couple of years. Keeps me going until lunch.

I have this one which I cook with skim milk at work after my ride in.

http://www.carmanskitchen.com.au/our-pr ... ge-Sachets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Here is a poem I wrote about porridge :

Porridge

I like porridge an awful lot.
Mostly 'cause its all I got.

(The money you save by eating porridge enables you to buy better bicycles)
Go!Run!GAH!

softy

Postby softy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 pm

I have been a porridge fan forever;
Rolled oats (only traditional, not chopped up)
Semilina
Rice flakes
Miele meal
Broken rice
Tastie wheat
Buckwheat
Quinoa

Oats for me is my favourite, ratio of 1 to 3 of oats to water, I add golden syrup or apple puree, then a little soy milk.

Some of the other porridges are 1 to 5 like semilina and meile meal.

Salt exactly sweetens oats, try it sometime

SydneyRider

Postby SydneyRider » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 am

Appreciate the feedback re my question on oats in porridge, and whether or not they require cooking prior to eating.

Thanks very much indeed :)

Ron.