How much coffee do you drink?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
AP81

Postby AP81 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I've really been trying to wean my caffeine down to 1-2 espressos, but on an average day I drink 3 to 4 espressos.

4 espressos is at the upper limit of the RDI, however it is both habit and an addiction for me. I did go two weeks without coffee once as an experiment, but I just love it too much and was right back to four espressos after that break.

Steel - is - real

lobstermash

Re: How much coffee do you drink?

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:17 pm

2-3 made with 18g of coffee each time through an Aeropress (full immersion and lighter roasts = more caffeine than equivalent numbers of espresso) during weekdays, and 2-4 double shot (20g basket) latte/ristretto (usually in that order) on weekend days.

Caffeine seems to be relatively harmless at those levels, but I do find I sleep better when I can cut it down to 1 per day (or none, after I get through the withdrawal symptoms). People metabolise caffeine at different rates, and you can habituate to its effects at moderate doses. When I'm drinking a lot of caffeine, my heart rate's back down to about normal within an hour or so after a coffee.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:21 pm

I typically drink one large latte (2 shots) a day when at work. On weekends or when I am at home between contracts, I will drink 2 or 3 large latte's made on the Nespresso machine.
I can give it up but get 2 or 3 days of headaches before it clears up.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 am

I rarely have fewer than 3-4 doubles; more on the weekend (sometimes much more - MICE was a bit mental).

At home, depending on the beans I generally run ristrettos from a Synesso double basket (nominally 14g, but with the high showerscreen on the Sunbeam probably closer to 20g). So less caffeine than it sounds.

Personally I'm more concerned about the milk TBH... haven't found a soy I'm happy with, but fresh almond milk is looking like a promising substitute if I can just find someone north of the Yarra who uses/stocks it!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 am

I was drinking around 5-6 cups a day of a mix of espresso or caps and double shots to boot. Decided, or more accurately it was decided for me due to IVF, to cut down dramatically. I now aim for one a day, sometimes two. The first couple of weeks was murder. Woke up feeling like I had been on the grog all night, headaches and generally crap. Once I got over that I find that I sleep better and that my energy levels are more stable and constant. I have a defcaf when I get up cause I still looooove the taste of coffee and have my real one when I get to work. Seems to be working for me, although it can still be hard sometimes.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

AP81 wrote:How much coffee do you drink?
Most weeks I have 1 long macc (flat white with an extra shot) every work day (5). I don't drink coffee on the weekends and most weekends I get a massive headache by sunday evening. Not nice.

This month I quit coffee for dry july (because I didn't drink enough alcohol to make it something to quit). Every work morning I have one green tea. No headaches on the weekend is a bonus. I won't be going back to a coffee every day. I might just have one on Friday.
<removed by request>

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:11 pm

There was a news report on TV last night about the prevalence of caffeine powder. Following up, found the following article. Serious stuff with health consequences. Not surprised if it's being used in the peloton.

http://www.boston.com/health/2014/07/19 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Another symptom of excess caffeine (and alcohol): lower eyelid twitch. Got it, sucks. Almost to the extent it's making me think about drinking less coffee and booze ;)

AP81

Postby AP81 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Well I'm going to try to cut down to two a day. Nice to know I'm not the only one consuming four a day.

I did try green tea for a while, but man it stains my teeth like nothing else... So went back to espressos
Steel - is - real

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:35 pm

coffee: 2x filters through the v60 daily. i might do an extra espresso or 2 on the weekend if i'm at a cafe for lunch. lots of decaf espresso.

i normally do a detox over the xmas break - 2-4 weeks of decaf and no caffeine. the withdrawal is hard and it's crazy how lethargic i become. 10hrs+ sleep and afternoon naps every day just to survive!

milk: i'd rather drinks cows VS soy. i'm scared of the phyto-estroegens, but i still have soy and tofu from time to time. similarly, i'm scared of the IGF1 and all sorts of other fun stuff in milk. interested to hear how almond stretches for milk drinks? black is best, imho.

powders: caffeine powder + L-theanine is particularly popular in the nootropics community. the caffeine's effect is obvious, while the theanine (extracted from green tea, i believe) takes the anxious, stressful edge off the high dose of caffeine to make it a much more balanced experience.

you can be almost certain caffeine finds its way into "finishing" bottles at professional road races, along with some mild pain relievers.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Delonghi Auto machine at home: 3-4 Latte's with 2x30ml shots each cup. But only up to 7pm at the latest as I cant sleep if I have coffee after then. I use A2 milk, and no sugar,
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 pm

sogood wrote:There was a news report on TV last night about the prevalence of caffeine powder. Following up, found the following article. Serious stuff with health consequences. Not surprised if it's being used in the peloton.
Very serious.
Ohio teen’s death puts focus on dangers of unregulated caffeine powder

COLUMBUS, OHIO—A few weeks before their prom king’s death, students at an Ohio high school had attended an assembly on narcotics that warned about the dangers of heroin and prescription painkillers.

But it was one of the world’s most widely accepted drugs that killed Logan Stiner — a powdered form of caffeine so potent that as little as a single teaspoon can be fatal.

The teen’s sudden death in May has focused attention on the unregulated powder and drawn a warning from federal health authorities urging consumers to avoid it.
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/ ... owder.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caffeine is so prevalent and accepted that it's easy to forget it can be fatal.
Man's heart stops after too much Red Bull
Matthew Penboss, 28, of Bonny Hills on the NSW north coast, suffered a cardiac arrest on August 5 after drinking four times the recommended daily dose of Red Bull.

Doctors concluded that the high intake of Red Bull had caused his heart rate to accelerate, triggering spasms before it shut down.
http://www.news.com.au/national/mans-he ... 1114213642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok, so obviously it is stupid to drink eight energy drinks in five hours without any water but it's a reminder that there is a dialy upper limit of caffeine.

EDIT: oh, just noticed with red bull, it's not the caffeine, it's actually niacin that's the problem.
<removed by request>

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm

2 cups of coffee, 1 cup of tea, 1 pint of beer and half a bottle of red wine every weekday whether I need it or not. Weekends vary from nil to excess in all of the above.

It's interesting that people get withdrawal symptoms from the caffeine. I've never experienced that myself, even when I was drinking 4 or 5 a day.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Generally two mugs a day during the week, anything from one to five on weekends depending on what I'm doing. On 24-hour race weekends where the two days tend to blend into one really long one the count just becomes "lots". :P
march83 wrote:You can be almost certain caffeine finds its way into "finishing" bottles at professional road races, along with some mild pain relievers.
It's common knowledge that they'll down a can of flat Coke during a race, and a lot of energy gels contain caffeine. While caffeine does have a defined limit (above which penalties can be applied) on the WADA list last time I checked, it is not a banned substance.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:46 pm

2 double shots coffees a day. Sometimes 3. But anymore and I get jittery and can't concentrate.

If it wasn't for the jitteriness I would be having 10 cups a day.

I hate green tea. I really like black tea. But teas can give me a slight stomache ache every now and then.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 am

Coffee? .................... Definitely addicted. :oops:

I use a Caffitaly capsule machine at home and generally drink 8 to 10 shots a day.

But then my whole family including my parents were big coffee drinkers, and I grew up in an environment were coffee was the beverage of choice, as compared to some where wine consumption was the norm.

I can happily have a double shot around 9.30 pm and be fast asleep by 10.30 pm. :mrgreen:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 am

greyhoundtom wrote:I can happily have a double shot around 9.30 pm and be fast asleep by 10.30 pm. :mrgreen:
And then awake again at 04:56 to post on internet forums! :lol:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 am

At work, somewhere between 2 and 5 cups - perversely, in direct proportion to fractious and ragey I'm feeling. Happy with 2 on the weekend.

I did go several months without any after surgery last year, I woke up violently averse to everything and especially coffee, and the drugs took good care of the withdrawal. Once back at work I replaced it with a near constant flow of green tea and smugness about beating my addiction - then learned that green tea still has plenty of caffeine. Doy... Back to my regularly scheduled habit ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 am

Oxford wrote:No coffee at all, but I do drink 6~8 cups of green tea per day…………………………………………………..
No coffee or tea here at all. I've never been a warm drink type of person & find it uncomfortable to swallow. Same with hot soup, although I do like warm pumpkin soup if that's any consolation.

Call me boring or anti-social, but I'm not into alcohol either which can be a little awkward at social events with lovely polite hosts offering everything & anything as soon as I walk in the door.

Drink of choice is fresh squeezed lemon water :roll: :roll:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm

rkelsen wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:I can happily have a double shot around 9.30 pm and be fast asleep by 10.30 pm. :mrgreen:
And then awake again at 04:56 to post on internet forums! :lol:
Awake at 3.30 am for breakfast, first cup of coffee at 4.30 am ........... For the past 15 years or so I have seldom slept more than 5 hours at night time.

danchez

Postby danchez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 pm

2 x Aeropress and usually 1 or 2 macs or espressos when I'm at work or out and about.

Even on 4 coffee days I never feel jittery or have trouble sleeping.
Giant Cadex ALR1
Cannondale CAAD4 R2000
Paconi

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am

Ive just had 2 double shot latte's before 9am to try and combat the late night TdF and Comm Games 'sprint track' race watching. :) :) :)
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:03 am

Not a coffee drinker at all but used to be big on tea (6-8 cups a day, including evening, milk no sugar) but have cut back to 4 max and none after 6pm. Sleeping heaps better.

The down-side is I now drink a chai latte or two per day (less caffeine than tea, but more sugar) and sometimes a late milo in the evening (more milk and sugar). I reckon I've put on a coupla kgs .... :?

If I need an energy boost for riding I have some coke - cola, that is - but usually only in summer.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 am

1x doppio in the morning around 6am, a double shot cappuccino around 8:30am or so, usually another doppio in the afternoon around 2pm. And maybe an espresso in the evening, that might have some other stuff added to it.

I love my coffee. ;) I also drink peppermint tea.

I never do coffee at lunch though, lunchtime preferred drink is chinotto.

At home I've got a Nuova Simonelli machine - so its a temptation for coffee.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:31 pm

What me coffee?