thirsty from pan fried food?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:14 am

I seem to get very thirsty after eating pan fried foods. Why is that? Do people here experience this as well?

casual_cyclist

Re: thirsty from pan fried food?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:06 am

I do if I put too much salt in the food while I am cooking it. I don't actually use salt, I use Vegeta, which has a lot of salt in it. It's hard to judge how much to season and when I get it wrong (too much seasoning = too much salt) I get thirsty afterwards.

A solution to this is to drink water?
<removed by request>

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am

Nothing wrong with consuming a nice amount of water as you eat Zill, that'll help you resist drinking other stuff in between meals.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I do if I put too much salt in the food while I am cooking it. I don't actually use salt, I use Vegeta, which has a lot of salt in it. It's hard to judge how much to season and when I get it wrong (too much seasoning = too much salt) I get thirsty afterwards.

A solution to this is to drink water?
I don't add any salt or seasoning but still feel very thirsty afterwards! Would oil matter? The thing is in the morning, being thirsty make me want to drink coffee which is something I am trying to stop consuming as I urinate too easily after drinking it!

kb

Postby kb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 pm

zill wrote:The thing is in the morning, being thirsty make me want to drink coffee which is something I am trying to stop consuming as I urinate too easily after drinking it!
Not being facetious but drinking more coffee will fix that to a large extent. Of course, you may not want to become habituated for other reasons.

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Pizza too, lots thirsty afterwards.
Certain types of Thai food as well.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:39 pm

I have the same thing too. Pizza is a biggie, particularly strange given its one of the foods I never add salt too. This applies to home made pizza too.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:48 pm

This thread is making me hungry.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I have the same thing too. Pizza is a biggie, particularly strange given its one of the foods I never add salt too. This applies to home made pizza too.
To me, the key is what you are putting on the pizza. Even if you don't add salt, pizza typically has loads of salt in the toppings: cheese, anchovies, olives, possibly in the meat especially meats such as ham or salami, the tomato based sauce, even in the dough!

I make home-made pizzas too and try to limit the amount of salty ingredients by being selective with the ingredients I've listed above ie don't put them all on one pizza - substitute them for veggies like mushrooms, onions, capsicum and pumpkin instead.

I don't know about the OP's panfried foods though, providing there is no salt added in the cooking process. Could it be that pan frying is drying the food out?
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Does the oil matter? Would it be better if butter or cream is used for the frying?

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am

I'm not expert, but I'm fairly sure your body needs fluids to digest foods. The harder the food is to digest, the more time and fluids the body needs. I avoid almost all sausages and processed meats these days, because of the salts, fats and low quality of meat in many products. But I am aware that eating a 'meat lovers' pizza, or a dish containing chorizo, etc. will often require a large glass of water in the middle of the night. The same is true for oily foods, or foods containing plenty of cheese etc. Asian foods usually contain plenty of salts and spices, which may require a few glasses of water for your body to process.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:33 am

You can drink water liberally throughout the day. If you take in more than you need, your body will do what's necessary. :-)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:03 am

Pan frying is not a healthy way to cook, and I presume you are talking about lots of meat and fat (steak, sausages, eggs, maybe hash browns....and vegetables as an afterthought).

If you think about it, you are taking water out of the food when frying, moreso than by other methods of cooking.
You are also eating more protein and fat, which are lower in water than cooked carbohydrates (rice, pasta, veges).
Further, protein excess to the body's requirements, without adequate water intake, causes the kidneys to excrete more water via urine, to clear Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) which rises with excess protein.

The short story is to ensure you are adequately hydrated before meals and eat a balanced diet.
Much overeating is due to cravings that accompany dehydration. You are dehydrated when you wake up every morning, so don't surrender to cravings for a big fry up. Have a half liter of water first, then wait at least 10 minutes to see what your appetite is like.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I could understand that the pan frying could accompany thirst, but that could simply be a trigger for realising "hey, I haven't drunk anything in hours". You're taking a break to consume something, oops you drank nothing since lunch, really need half a litre.

If you aren't leaking like a tap with clear urine, you aren't overhudrated yet. I smashed through about 1500mls or so yesterday, but that's partly a bunch of electrolytes and glutamine etc that might have been another trigger to use the toilet. I rarely do the clear urine thing, I find I typically just don't dehydrate like most other riders... but I don't deprive myself. One good reason to drink gatorade etc - you will feel more motivated to drink if you feel you are getting other goodies. I pumped out 3 hours of hard exercise yesterday, and I can move today, so I guess the powders and junk are helping ;)

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 pm

CKinnard wrote:

If you think about it, you are taking water out of the food when frying, moreso than by other methods of cooking.
Nuh, when you fry you actually seal the surface so it doesn't lose moisture.

That's why you should sear beef in a pan before putting it in the oven for roasting.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:16 pm

clackers wrote:
CKinnard wrote:

Nuh, when you fry you actually seal the surface so it doesn't lose moisture.

That's why you should sear beef in a pan before putting it in the oven for roasting.
weigh a piece of meat before and after dry frying.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:26 pm

CKinnard wrote:
weigh a piece of meat before and after dry frying.
"Dry frying"?

What cook does that?

That's how you burn everything!

zill

Postby zill » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 pm

It seems the oil makes a difference. Olive oil and canola oil made me really thirsty but peanut oil didn't make me thirsty after frying!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:36 am

clackers, then use a well seasoned wok or non stick pan. I suggest dry frying so you get an idea of how much water is actually fried out of meat.
If you want to use oil, include the oil in the pre fry weight.

zill, you seem to be a small picture guy! how about focusing on the choices that make a bigger diff.

zill

Postby zill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm

CKinnard wrote: how about focusing on the choices that make a bigger diff.

Like what?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 pm

zill wrote:It seems the oil makes a difference. Olive oil and canola oil made me really thirsty but peanut oil didn't make me thirsty after frying!
Rice bran oil has a high boiling point, great for homemade calamari 8)

Haven't noticed a difference in oil types except I prefer olive and butter for Italian, peanut for Chinese and curry, and sunflower when I just need the stuff to not burn too fast. Rice bran for deep frying. I don't stress about any of it, taste is everything, just eat salad to balance it. Pedalling has to have its advantages sometimes ;)

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Keep in mind that oil & fats makes red blood cells stick together so less is more. Read - heavy legs on the bike. Worst - Stroke, blood clot, heart attack.

Vegan since 2001.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:16 am

clackers wrote:Nuh, when you fry you actually seal the surface so it doesn't lose moisture.

Frying doesn't "seal" the meat, it just makes it taste better.

"Sealing" is a myth.