Riding after illness

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jack11

Riding after illness

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 am

Hi All

I have been sick with tonsillitis for the last 4/5 days and am finally on the mend. So my question is when can I get back to riding and how hard should I push myself when I get back on the bike?

The last thing I want to do is go too hard too soon and end up getting sick again

Thanks

familyguy

Re: Riding after illness

Postby familyguy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:36 am

<personal opinion>

Unless your doc says you'll be doing damage that you can't necessarily feel, there's probably not a big reason not to go, but I'd go easier than normal. I have used the "personal feel gauge" a few times. A nice casual roll can help a lot. Never had tonsilitis, so I don't know what sort of impact harder breathing could have on things.

If its being treated with drugs, I wouldn't do anything till the doc says the word. Otherwise you may be pushing their level of effectiveness down too far, and get sick again.

</personal opinion>

Jim

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am

After a viral infection or a "serious" bug (I had bronchitis), my doctor suggested a good rule of thumb is do half the distance at half the intensity and see how that goes. If ok, build from there.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:11 am

moosterbounce wrote:After a viral infection or a "serious" bug (I had bronchitis), my doctor suggested a good rule of thumb is do have the distance at half the intensity and see how that goes. If ok, build from there.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm still home from work in bed/on the couch but hopefully I'll be able to head out for a gentle spin on both saturday and sunday then look to build back up to normal levels next week

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am

I suffered from a bad case of tonsillitis last year. Was so bad, I ended up going to the hospital as the oral medication just didn't seem to do be doing their job. Afterwards I took it very, very cautiously. I waited a week after I felt better before I got back on the bike. Even then I could feel how badly it had hit me.

My rule of thumb is, anything respiratory, take that extra week off from training and allow yourself to really recover in order to avoid getting run down and open to getting sick again (especially if you have to use public transport to get to/from work).
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

Marty is right - I didn't do that earlier this year (I use public transport too - lots of sickness martyrs going to work) and ended up getting three viruses in a row, I lost a lot of fitness by doing that. When I did finally get back into it my power had decreased massively and my breathing was just horrid.

So yes, take it easy after illness and make sure you are really recovered. Burning off the illness or riding it away, that's not a good idea.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:43 pm

jack11 wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:After a viral infection or a "serious" bug (I had bronchitis), my doctor suggested a good rule of thumb is do have the distance at half the intensity and see how that goes. If ok, build from there.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm still home from work in bed/on the couch but hopefully I'll be able to head out for a gentle spin on both saturday and sunday then look to build back up to normal levels next week
Still feeling rubbish after nearly a week so no riding as of yet. It is frustrating because I am really keen to start racing from Oct 1 so need to keep logging the kms

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Two weeks ago ended up in hospital for tonsilliar abscess. Otherwise known as quincy. Closed up my throat. Just had my first ride this past Wednesday a light 15km. 30km on Thursday and football today. Looking to do 50km tomorrow. Gradually building it up. Don't push too hard too fast. If you are still on meds I would not do much until you finish them.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Sychen wrote:Two weeks ago ended up in hospital for tonsilliar abscess. Otherwise known as quincy. Closed up my throat. Just had my first ride this past Wednesday a light 15km. 30km on Thursday and football today. Looking to do 50km tomorrow. Gradually building it up. Don't push too hard too fast. If you are still on meds I would not do much until you finish them.
Very much following this. The last thing I want to do is push myself too hard and wind up sick again, although I am getting very restless to get back on the bike!

Hopefully ride into work a few times this week.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Didn't make 50km. Too sore from football after a month off... 35km only.
The risk with too much too soon is not just a reoccurance but also chronic fatigue syndrome as well.

Good luck with your recovery.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:19 am

Back on the bike this morning. 30km commute into work and everything felt uncomfortable. Can definitely feel my respiratory system is still not 100% so will continue to take it easy for the next week or so.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm

I'd keep my heart rate low as well, I would make sure I didn't sweat either, that seems to be the best way (for me) to return from illness, especially something like tonsilitis where it really knocks you down.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Felt much better on the ride home tonight. Pushed hard on flats and felt good :D. Made sure I kicked in the clutch on the hills to make sure I didn't overdo it.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Once again I have found myself knocked out with illness - this time an unpleasant strain of Influenza A. Spent all of last week in bed and back but back at work this week despite not being 100% - still getting pretty bad joint pain and low energy levels.

Does anyone have any experience getting back on the bike after a bout of the flu or any other nasty viruses?

I am assuming the 'half the time at half the effort' mantra is probably a good starting point.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 pm

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Just take it easy, listen to your body and if it says no, then don't :-)

Regards,

SB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

jack11 wrote:Once again I have found myself knocked out with illness - this time an unpleasant strain of Influenza A. Spent all of last week in bed and back but back at work this week despite not being 100% - still getting pretty bad joint pain and low energy levels.

Does anyone have any experience getting back on the bike after a bout of the flu or any other nasty viruses?

I am assuming the 'half the time at half the effort' mantra is probably a good starting point.
There was a good answer above, take it easy. Maybe wait until the virus is completely gone and then get back into it. If I were your manager at work, I'd be sending you home to rest from what you've told us.

Trying to get back into riding early after illness like that is just a bad idea.

A.Jeffrey

Postby A.Jeffrey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Be careful with high intensity exercise when you have viral URTI's.
You can suppress your immune system which will increase the severity of the virus (potentially leading to some more nasty outcomes)

Reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2803113/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jack11 wrote:Once again I have found myself knocked out with illness - this time an unpleasant strain of Influenza A. Spent all of last week in bed and back but back at work this week despite not being 100% - still getting pretty bad joint pain and low energy levels.

There was a good answer above, take it easy. Maybe wait until the virus is completely gone and then get back into it. If I were your manager at work, I'd be sending you home to rest from what you've told us.

Trying to get back into riding early after illness like that is just a bad idea.
Thanks for the reply. I have been listening to my body and stayed off the bike last week and weekend. Will head out tomorrow morning for 30 - 45 minutes to see how I feel and hopefully build back up to normal levels in the next few weeks.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm

im basically still off the bike for 4 weeks now, because of acute bronchitis. I have been testing the waters a little by doing easy sessions on the trainer. I think my fitness has taken a huge hit. Im just glad that I did not get sick before the Cadel Evans Peoples Momentum ride back in January.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Back on the bike for 30km this morning. I felt very unfit and had a sensation of struggling to get oxygen into my lungs so took it pretty easy. I feel good now though, in fact I think the exercise has actually helped somewhat.

I'll ride again on Friday morning and then if still feeling good look to do 60km on Sunday.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:09 am

probably not the best idea to double the distance. I found out the hardway on the weekend, how hard my bronchitis had hit me. I tried to ride from the basin to sassafras (1in20) in the dandenongs. A ride that I can normally do without a problem, however I had to stop about 6km into the climb (something that I have not done for a long time!).

For me it looks like I might be having to do a few evening rides/trainer sessions to try and build some fitness again before I start commuting again.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

jack11

Postby jack11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:46 pm

marty_one wrote:probably not the best idea to double the distance. I found out the hardway on the weekend, how hard my bronchitis had hit me. I tried to ride from the basin to sassafras (1in20) in the dandenongs. A ride that I can normally do without a problem, however I had to stop about 6km into the climb (something that I have not done for a long time!).
That is never a nice feeling.

I rode 40km this morning at an increased pace and felt pretty good, however I could still feel that my lungs werent at 100% on the hills :oops: .

Just nice to be back out there at the moment even if it was hot and humid!

Johnelliss

Postby Johnelliss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:09 pm

That's really good Jack that you rode 40km. The post is done before many days. How do you feel now?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:53 am

Riding after illness as a subject heading just doesn't do it for me anymore.

For the past 2 years it's been one thing after another and every time I've got back on my bike it's been "riding after illness". After the last little episode I had just got back up to 30 minutes on the indoor trainer morning and night for 5 days a week ready to tackle a road ride, and bang another week of feeling like a dog, another day in hospital, and by the looks of it more surgery coming up. :cry:

Back to the drawing board. :roll:

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Riding after illness as a subject heading just doesn't do it for me anymore.

For the past 2 years it's been one thing after another and every time I've got back on my bike it's been "riding after illness". After the last little episode I had just got back up to 30 minutes on the indoor trainer morning and night for 5 days a week ready to tackle a road ride, and bang another week of feeling like a dog, another day in hospital, and by the looks of it more surgery coming up. :cry:

Back to the drawing board. :roll:
That is not good to hear. Hopefully you have improved over the last few weeks and can back to riding! All the best