Healthy, time friendly recipes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:27 am

In the weightloss thread, comments were made about having a "sticky" recipe thread. If people are still keen, here it is!!

Format should be:
Meal (breaky/lunch/dinner/dessert/snack/ride food)
Serves
Ingredients
Method

I suppose some guidelines are that the recipes must be healthy - that doesn't mean that no cake is allowed, but healthy alternatives. Recipes can be raw, paleo, vegan, HFLC...whatever!! Let's just start sharing our ideas to give everyone here some inspiration.

moosterbounce

Re: Healthy, time friendly recipes

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 am

Meal: breakfast

Serves: 1

Ingredients:
1 apple (I prefer pink lady or fuji)
2 kiwi fruit
250ml almond mink
2T Tbsp chia seeds
About 5 inches of cucumber
1/2 to 1 bok choy depending on size
Handful spinach leaves

Method:
Chuck it all into a decent blender and hit play.
Drink and enjoy!! Tastes like kiwi fruit so don't panic about the veges :) A good "starter" green smoothie for those who don't think they will like them.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:38 am

Cooking right now ...
Meal: Dinner
Dahl thingy
Copious amounts of onion, garlic and ginger simmered in a bit of water and tiny bit of oil ... add small amount of water when it starts to stick.
Add in cummin and cardamon seeds and cook till brown.
Chuck in what ever else you want ... tonight I added peppers, few potatoes, celery, cauliflower and carrots.
Add in loads of Garam Masala, corriander, curry and cumin ... whatever else you fancy really depending on spice level you like.
Add in two or three cups of lentils ... add in 3 parts water to 1 part lentils ... cook for and hour at least gently. The longer the better.
Pull out cardamon seeds if you don't like eating them ... they float to the top so easy to get out.
Fresh corrie on top.
Eat on its own or with rice ... I usually make a big creusets worth and freeze most of it for a later date.
Yummy ... one table spoon of oil in about 2 kilos of vegies :D

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

@TLL looks like dinner at your place tonight! :lol:

2 cups of whatever rice you like into the rice cooker.
your fav pasta sauce.
serve in lettuce leaves.
Serves 1.

10-15 ripe spotty bananas.
500ml water
100ml low fat soy/rice/oat milk.
100g organic sugar from coles or woolies.

Pulse blend till smooth.
Serves 1 for breakfast. Make another for lunch.
Vegan since 2001.

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:07 pm

What TLL said but use a pressure cooker - none of this waiting around for an hour business.

hallk70

Postby hallk70 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 pm

The recipes provided here are very interesting. I am going to try some of them. I am going under strict diet plan, so the healthy recipes like this would help me to stay strong. Also, I am practicing bicycle to tone my body.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 am

Wifey had a Bday today... There is only ever one thing one the menu the 17 septembre ! ... laksa :-)
If anyone's wants the recipe I can write it out... I only ever wing it though... No two meals are ever the same ;-)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:55 am

Laksa looks good :) With my stupid intolerance to garlic, unless i sort out all my own spices, this isn't a dish I usually eat as most people will use a flavour paste that contains garlic. And don't even think about a restaurant order!!

Seeing this though did remind me of a recipe I love - Moussaka!! I've been avoiding carbs recently so did a cheats version that ended up pretty good!!

Cut 2 eggplants in half and roast them until soft. Scoop out most of the flesh leaving the skins and some flash as a "boat" (this will be used for serving). Get about 600g of lamb mince and fry with some chopped onions. Add 3-4 chopped tomatoes, some cinnamon and some nutmeg and the chopped "inside" of the eggplants and cook until it looks a bit thicker than a spag bog sauce. Fill the hollowed out eggplant shells with mince mixture, top with a little mozzarella and bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until cheese has melted and is starting to brown. Serve a half per person with a side salad.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm

laksa - yes, it's my specialty, make it most weekends in winter.

Eggplant - uurrrrrgh, disgusting take it away from me.:)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Garlic intolerance.... Sacre bleu!. I make my own paste... Takes about 5 minutes... Then I freeze what I don't use, though that is only because it's difficult to make a small amount.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Garlic intolerance.... Sacre bleu!. I make my own paste... Takes about 5 minutes... Then I freeze what I don't use, though that is only because it's difficult to make a small amount.
Paste recipe please (I can omit the evil migraine causing substance!!). I do the same with a balinese seafood curry I make - always double the paste and freeze. The trick is remembering you already have some in the freezer!!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 pm

1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin... ground or seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Also can add ground ginger,
Lime juiced
A few red chillies... spicy or not?
1 white onion, chopped
Lemongrass stalks
2 teaspoons soy sauce
You can also add garlic :wink: , cashew nuts, tsp brown sugar ... etc

In a tiny bit of oil ... ( I prefer raisin higher boiling point than olive oil ) fry the spices ( seeds first if using them before adding ground stuff ), they burn easily so start on low heat... then blend everything together. Paste done... probably enough for 8 people.

For the laska for 2 people... gently fry the paste ( with a bit more onion, ginger etc if wanted ) then add 1 cup of coconut milk, 3 cups of water or stock. Add in some carrots, bamboo stalks, celery, peppers etc ... harder veggies, simmer for 10 min the add softer veg... pea pods, corn,broc, cauli, tomato, bean sprouts, mushrooms ... yada yada. Dont cook them too long to keep their colour... the one above has Girolles :D ... love mushroom season!!!.
I fry on the side tofu then add at the end... vegan option.
You can add in a spoon of sugar if you like a bit of sweet.
Prepare noodles ... rice / soja etc... divide into bowls and ladle laksa on top. Add coriander, chillies, mint, dried onions etc etc for presentation / taste preference.
Eat!!!

eveready2

Postby eveready2 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Ok here is my new discovery. My kids love tacos but I have the mess, so I have started to do a open taco. Its basically a plates full of salad toppings, meat, some cheese and one broken taco. It's a great way to make sure they eat salad!
Just keep pushing Pusscake!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 pm

This is my modification of a bar recipe. I've reduced the fructose/maltose load for reduced digestive "issues".

1 cup Sesame seeds (170g)
2 cups Almond meal (250g)
4 cups Rolled oats (350g)
1 cup Pine nuts (120g)
1 cup Pepita seeds
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, maybe some additional jam sugar (see below)
1 cup Currants (150g)
1 1/2 cups Cranberries (250g)
1 1/2 cups Medjool dates
Blackcurrant Jam 500g jar (other jams work fine, but add some jam sugar if using strawberry)
250g Butter (salted)
4 tablespoons Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt (optional)

Preheat over at 165°c (fan-forced)

Process pepitas, almond meal, dates, currents and cranberries in a food processor until ingredients become size of small sands or couscous in size.
Repeat for the other ingredients then combine everything in a really big bowl and stir thoroughly.
Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat then add jam and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly then remove from heat.

Combine everything. Place mixture in baking tins lined with baking paper. Lightly press mixtures down with a wooden spoon or clean hand. Bake in oven for 30 minutes if in 2 trays; longer if just one tray.
Store in refrigerator in airtight container. Seems to last months.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:06 pm

I hope someone can give me a tip on carrying home-made bars. What do you put them in? The great thing about commercial bars is that they slide out of the wrapper: I can open the packet, eat the contents and stuff the wrapper back in my pocket with one hand. Any bag or wrapper I can find sticks to the contents and requires two hands, teeth and certain special magic words to get it off the bar. I doubt that this is because of the bar, I suspect it is something particular about the plastic.

I'm not going to take two hands off the bars and wrestle with a bar, no matter how good it is.

Any suggestions?
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 am

ausrandoman wrote:I hope someone can give me a tip on carrying home-made bars. What do you put them in?

Any suggestions?
I know some who swear by Alfoil, but I use ziplock bags - I can undo them one handed. As a bit of a accident I discovered if I put the bagged bars inside a neoprene pouch that I have, it keeps them much cooler in the Brisbane heat.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.