These things take time to heal - and a thankyou

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Blue Racer

These things take time to heal - and a thankyou

Postby Blue Racer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:55 am

Four weeks into recovery from a broken scapula. I came off my MTB. It was late on a Sunday after a few days rain had cleared. I had gone for a quick ride to ease the cabin fever.....
I have become pretty good at doing things left handed. The "off" happened at a pretty popular spot (Bunya) and a very kind rider (whom I had never met before) kindly walked me out and drove me and my bike home. A very big thankyou to him (Andrew)!!! Both the A&E and Orthopaedic doctors were both cyclists. One of the first things that both did was provide me with a timeline to return to riding - and both asked "how's the bike?".
This week I have thrown the roadie on the fluid trainer and have started the legs turning over again - It feels good to be able to start exercising again.

ValleyForge

Re: These things take time to heal - and a thankyou

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 am

Fractured scapulae were rare injuries until MTB came along. Great xray.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Fractured scapulae were rare injuries until MTB came along. Great xray.
Yep. blind freddy would not miss that one. :wink:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Any updates BR? A much more interesting thread than "Healthiest Bars" or "Healthiest Milk" :twisted:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah...just gone 11 weeks. Milestones like being able to clean my teeth and shave with my right arm/hand were great. Started to do little "drives" locally in the car after I'd checked mobility in a parked car in the garage in about week 5. Back to work after 6 weeks off - I work at an "indoors" job. When I got back to work I discovered that no less than 3 other colleagues had also had bike (road and MTB) stacks and broken collarbones. I think that the boss was joking when they mentioned a "bike buy back" scheme. Been doing some physio sessions with plenty of follow up exercises to restore Range of Movement and get some rotator cuff type strength back - torturous type things involving a piece of rubber and light weights. Back on the bike (both MTB and road) - enjoying that thoroughly. I was a little tentative at first and rode past my crash site - strangely I couldn't really pick the exact spot out. The radiographer made the comment with the 6 week X-ray - " Gee you did a good job on that!" My 6 week orthopaedic check-up involved the doc informing me that he had just had a great early morning ride and that I was his first appointment for the day. He said that if I crashed now I would just have pretty much a normal chance of a broken bone. The shoulder - it's generally OK but there are still peculiar things that give me trouble - like pouring a cup of tea (the kettle never felt sooo heavy) or suddenly going for a back jersey pocket on the bike can be a little sharp. But generally pretty good - except for the weird bump that I can feel on the side of the bone.

petie

Postby petie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Good news, that's a solid crack! How exactly did you manage that?

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 am

Confidence exceeding competence. Just going too fast on a piece of track that I am very familiar with - going into a slight downhill corner and thinking "I'm a bit too quick but I'll be OK (I wasn't)" like you do several times on a ride. I guess a combination of speed and poor braking technique on ruts going into a corner. It happened in less than a blink of an eye and I had high-sided over the bars and done a flip and landed right on a line of rocks with my scapula and back of the head (helmet) being the touchdown points. I vaguely remember sliding for a while and thinking that I didn't realise I had so much speed happening. Oh yeah - big dints in the helmet (replacement time), but it did its job superbly.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Ouch and to think I'm building a MTB now :) Good to hear you well on the mend
Do you think if you had body armour on if that would have limited your injuries?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Body Armour - I've never really considered it on a MTB. Have worn it years ago on "dirt" bikes. It probably would have softened the blow. Maybe others who know more about MTB armour would have a view.

petie

Postby petie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Fair enough, sounds like you were a bit unlucky with your landing area!
Blue Racer wrote:Body Armour - I've never really considered it on a MTB. Have worn it years ago on "dirt" bikes. It probably would have softened the blow. Maybe others who know more about MTB armour would have a view.
Having used it on dirtbikes I guess it could work? Certainly spreads the load and can turn a fracture in to soft tissue injuries in the right circumstance. My issue is around fatigue and how much more tired you would get sweating it out in a full pressure suit. Maybe a vest? I have seen some people wearing them at races, but for me knee and shin pads are sometimes too much!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Fractured scapulae were rare injuries until MTB came along. Great xray.
would be a great xray if the ribs were better imaged. if you have a comminuted scapula #, chances are some ribs are gone and an acute compartment syndrome (esp infra and supra spinatus) are the go.

Blue Racer

Postby Blue Racer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:10 am

CT Scan Report Conclusion -

"Grossly comminuted and deformed scapular blade fracture with overlying soft tissue swelling. There is extension up to the apex of the scapula at the base of the spine but no involvement of the AC joint, glenohumeral joint or glenoid. The underlying ribs remain intact. No associated lung contusion or pneumothorax."

The first doc in the A&E was surprised that no ribs were compromised. I guess it was my lucky day.