Which brand of milk is healthiest?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Re: Which brand of milk is healthiest?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah I'm off the cows milk for a number of years. It's designed for a different species that quadruples its weight in the first 6 months :o
In any case it turns me into a spray painter :oops:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:40 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Blue colour? What the heck kind of freak cows did you have ron? :shock:

I grew up on a dairy farm and hardly ever drank water, it was milk, milk, milk. 3 or 4 litres a day in summer. When we stopped dairying it took me a while to get used to the taste of processed milk but if it wasn't for the cost i'd still be drinking that much, now it's only a litre or less a day.

As Milar touched on, the "Home Brand" milk is EXACTLY the same as branded milk, same cows, same farms, same processors. It changes from time to time as the supermarkets squeeze every last bit of blood out of the processors but IGA, Aldi, Woolies and Coles home branded milk will be supplied by Parmalat/Pauls, Dairy Farmers or National Foods and one or two others. The only difference is the label on the bottle, and the fact that the more generic milk is sold, the more farmers live in abject poverty. Of course it all comes back to deregulation, which should never have happened.
Probably Agree.
But It all tastes the same after the stuff has been improved by the addition of coffee, tea, chocolate, or breakfast cereal.
(Except the skim stuff, which tastes like dishwater).
But i do like to know that i am buying a local brand, such as Pauls/Parmalat in SE Qld, the factory for which is part of the sacred fabric of the Brisbane riverloop. :wink:

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 pm

I have gone off milk since i saw this...

.A farmer ordered a high-tech milking machine.

Since the equipment arrived when his wife was out of town, he decided to test it on himself first.

So, he inserted his 'manhood' into the equipment, turned on the switch and everything else was automatic.

Soon, he realized that the equipment provided him with much more pleasure than his wife did. When the fun was over, though, he quickly realized that he couldn't remove the instrument from his 'member'..

He read the manual but didn't find any useful information on how to disengage himself. He tried every button on the instrument, but still without success.

Finally, he decided to call the supplier's Customer Service Hot Line with his mobile phone (Thank god for mobile phones!).

'Hello, I just bought a milking machine from your company. It works
Fantastic, but how do I remove it from the cow's udder?'

'Don't worry,' replied the customer service rep, 'The machine will release automatically once it's collected two gallons.'

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 pm

:lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:44 pm

My wife is still lactating.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

yugyug

Which brand of milk is healthiest?

Postby yugyug » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

:)

Breast milk is the best milk...

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 am

yugyug wrote::)

+1

the only other healthy milk is nut milks. the only one I buy is coconut, if you want to make your own at home then almond or macadamia milk are my favourites but they don't keep without additives!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Bartek wrote:
yugyug wrote::)

+1

the only other healthy milk is nut milks. the only one I buy is coconut, if you want to make your own at home then almond or macadamia milk are my favourites but they don't keep without additives!
"Breast, nuts and milk" not sure if it should be used all together :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 am

I use A2 milk in the coffee I make, I like the taste of it. Don't know about any other claimed benefits.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:I use A2 milk in the coffee I make, I like the taste of it. Don't know about any other claimed benefits.
I use it too a lot of the skim or low fat milks just taste like watered down milk to me.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:21 pm

I have a milkman. It's fantastic - we go through 8-10 litres a week. Full fat homogenized Barambah when we can get it.

As to A2, there are no proven health benefits. It's very equivalent to placebo effect when compared to standard milk, but it does allow those farmers with A2 cattle to send their kids to private schools. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:54 am

This is another of those threads that will grow and grow. So much opportunity for people with rigid opinions, conspiracy theorists, bush-medicos and anyone who likes to selectively troll wikipedia/google and to push disingenuous arguments, wheter or not they see to themselves. :(

And, of course, unqualified and absolute statements - without even looking I note "the only other healthy milk is nut milks".

It amazes me that, before the age of the internet, anyone ever lived to even middle age. It apparently should not be possible. I guess my birth certificate is a forgery along with a few hundred million others.

Just what we needed, another helmets thread. My forecast is that this thread will have a large page count and will never quite die.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:00 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:This is another of those threads that will grow and grow. So much opportunity for people with rigid opinions, conspiracy theorists, bush-medicos and anyone who likes to selectively troll wikipedia/google and to push disingenuous arguments, wheter or not they see to themselves. :(

And, of course, unqualified and absolute statements - without even looking I note "the only other healthy milk is nut milks".

It amazes me that, before the age of the internet, anyone ever lived to even middle age. It apparently should not be possible. I guess my birth certificate is a forgery along with a few hundred million others.

Just what we needed, another helmets thread. My forecast is that this thread will have a large page count and will never quite die.
But everything on the internet is TRUE isn't it ? :wink: as long as it corresponds and is relevant to our argument. When ever we want to re-learn how to have a poo we just google it and become Experts on the subject and if it aint on google it aint true I might add.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:I use A2 milk in the coffee I make, I like the taste of it. Don't know about any other claimed benefits.

Ditto, need to be careful not to get it too hot though, goes plasticy

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:23 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And, of course, unqualified and absolute statements - without even looking I note "the only other healthy milk is nut milks".
I suppose that's one disadvantage of calling myself "Nobody" because I think in some people's minds my posts may read, "Nobody wrote blah blah..." which is then ignored. I stated that I thought rice milk was the best and put a link up which basically slays cows milk with links to many studies and yet not one reply. Not that I posted it to get replies.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:It amazes me that, before the age of the internet, anyone ever lived to even middle age. It apparently should not be possible. I guess my birth certificate is a forgery along with a few hundred million others.
Probably wouldn't be possible if you have the wrong genetics with no medication and operations to patch over a bad diet and lack of exercise. I knew a guy who died of a heart attack at 33. His father died at 44. My grandmother had a cholesterol ratio of 11 ( :shock: ) and had problems from middle age on. Some of my earliest memories were visiting her in hospital. Yet she lived to 92.

Three weeks ago the doc tested my blood pressure to be 115 over 75 which is the lowest I ever remember it being. Pretty good considering I'm 46yo. :D
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPre ... ssurechart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Just what we needed, another helmets thread. My forecast is that this thread will have a large page count and will never quite die.
Well you're not helping to kill it. :P

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 am

foo on patrol wrote:Straight from the bloody cow is best! :roll: If you have never had it, then you don't know what you're missin! :)

Foo
Yeah but if you refer to her as a cow chances are you aint getting any milk. Oh... whats that? You meant bovine? My bad :oops:

(bad) jokes aside, put me down as a +1 having anecdotal results from converting to A2. I found it to irritate significantly less without any other change in diet, in saying that I dont consume milk in large amounts (particularly now I have gotten past my iced coffee addiction). YMMV, and placebo may be in effect (and ultimately I don't care if its real or placebo, ultimately I feel better, why I feel better is irrelevant to me).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Nobody wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And, of course, unqualified and absolute statements - without even looking I note "the only other healthy milk is nut milks".
I suppose that's one disadvantage of calling myself "Nobody" because I think in some people's minds my posts may read, "Nobody wrote blah blah..." which is then ignored.
I love it!
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Nobody wrote:Rice milk is probably the healthiest milk I've found so far.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/milk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll bite :D

Nice opinion piece. It's interesting that it mentions how wonderful soy milk is, which personally I wouldn't touch.
Soymilk, now included in the USDA’s dietary guidelines, is an excellent alternative...
The propblem is that western soy milk is not traditionally process and instead uses industrial chemicals to extract the "milk".
In their natural form, soybeans contain phytochemicals with toxic effects on the human body. The three major anti-nutrients are phytates, enzyme inhibitors and goitrogens.
Unfermented soy has been linked to digestive distress, immune system breakdown, PMS, endometriosis, reproductive problems for men and women, allergies, ADD and ADHD, higher risk of heart disease and cancer, malnutrition, and loss of libido.
More here: http://www.naturalnews.com/025513_soy_f ... z3HVMvRqVk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, unless you can get properly fermented soy milk... avoid.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Just adding to the above, I find http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; more interesting than nutritionfacts.org.

For example: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/dea ... -veganism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>