Which brand of milk is healthiest?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:27 am

Which brand of milk in Australia is healthiest and why?

bychosis

Re: Which brand of milk is healthiest?

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:42 am

Cheapest. Least processing and most spare cash for bike upgrades later. Although probably not the healthiest for the farmers.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:07 am

I've heard that unhomogenized milk is the best since the act of homogenizing it changes the fat molecules and gives milk the bad health wrap.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:14 am

I've heard that unhomogenized milk is the best since the act of homogenizing it changes the fat molecules and gives milk the bad health wrap.
Go!Run!GAH!

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

A2 claim their milk is healthier because it comes from cows that have been bred for milk quality rather than to maximise output. It has better proteins apparently. I don't know if they have any evidence to back that up but anecdotally I can tell you that my wife drinks it without the lactose-intolerance-like reaction she gets from regular milk.

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 am

There is this theory of "the leaky gut". the idea is that your gut doesn't operate as a perfect barrier between the food you eat and your blood. it's theorised that if your gut is not working perfectly then it's "leaky" and it lets some stuff through that it shouldn't. it's suggested that stress, diet, genetics, etc can influence this. not much in the way of science to actually support this btw.

so anyway with A2 milk, it's supposed to have no A1 protein, only A2 protein. A1, if it gets into the bloodstream without fully breaking down can potentially do bad things to you like contributing to some chronic diseases (in theory). A2 is a slightly different protein which doesn't have the same deleterious effects. anyway, none of this is backed by scientific studies - not to say that it's right or wrong, just that it hasn't been effectively proven either way.

read this for some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

personally, my preference runs in this order: raw -> unhomogenised -> cheapest, but that's just me. chronic consumption of milk gives me allergies and hayfever so i like to keep it to a minimum and if i am going to eat dairy i'd rather it be fermented.

Milar

Postby Milar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 am

The cheap milk is essentially the same as other milks, often processed at the same manufacturers as the branded milk. The supermarket pricing has removed much of the margin for producers so the farmers are worst hit.

A2 milk only contains the A2 protein not the A1 protein. The story is that some people have an issue with A1 so can digest A2 milk better, but it's contentious. A recent study found favourable results for A2 but it was funded by A2 industry so that makes me wonder.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:18 am

Milar wrote:A recent study found favourable results for A2 but it was funded by A2 industry so that makes me wonder.
As it should.

I've stopped drinking milk and consuming milk product. For me it leads to excess mucus production, irritated nasal passages, post-nasal drip and chest congestion. A number of professional public speakers I know have dropped it for similar reasons. You cant be constantly clearing your throat on stage.

Soy, unfortunately, is no substitute due to the phyto-oestrogens it contains. Which is annoying becasue I don't mind the slightly nutty taste.

That leaves rice and oat milks if I want calcium to maintain bone density, and expensive rice protein powders for making up recovery drinks.

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:38 am

bonsoy lattes. delish, but yeah, i'm also scared of the phytoestrogens. becomes more significant as you get older, too...

SydneyRider

Postby SydneyRider » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:41 am

Any type of milk, be it from cows, Soy or another product if consumed to excess can be detrimental to health. Moderation is the key, and not just with milk, but with all foods, with the quantity consumed being commensurate with what it actually is.

Ron.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:49 am

march83 wrote:bonsoy lattes. delish, but yeah, i'm also scared of the phytoestrogens. becomes more significant as you get older, too...
Some scary stories out there, including an ex-Marine who developed gynaecomastia (sp?). He was consuming massive amounts (2 litres per day) but still, smaller amounts must have an impact.

I was warned off soy-based protein as a substitute for whey protein isolate by the health food store as being unsuitable for males over 25, and I thought "yeah, yea, BS, BS" and then did a web search. Found out "bloody hell, he's right! :shock: " Definitely to be avoided as your testosterone levels decline with age.

I still have a soy latte once a day or so in the afternoon, but that's it.

As for milk, cheese and ice cream, moderating down to zero has helped a lot. :P Pizza, ice cream, etc are all out - I notice the effects within 30 minutes. Cough, snot, splutter, hack. Although sometimes I am naughty. :oops:

For some reason High5's 4:1 seems to be OK if I limit it to once a week on the long Sunday ride.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:54 am

march83 wrote:bonsoy lattes. delish, but yeah, i'm also scared of the phytoestrogens. becomes more significant as you get older, too...
Some scary stories out there, including an ex-Marine who developed gynaecomastia (sp?). He was consuming massive amounts (2 litres per day) but still, smaller amounts must have an impact.

I was warned off soy-based protein as a substitute for whey protein isolate by the health food store as being unsuitable for males over 25, and I thought "yeah, yea, BS, BS" and then did a web search. Found out "bloody hell, he's right! :shock: " Definitely to be avoided as your testosterone levels decline with age.

As for milk, cheese and ice cream, moderating down to zero has helped a lot. :P

Pizza, ice cream, etc are all out - I notice the effects within 30 minutes. Cough, snot, splutter, hack. Although sometimes I am naughty. :oops: For some reason High5's 4:1 seems to be OK but I'm limiting it to once a week on the long Sunday ride.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Straight from the bloody cow is best! :roll: If you have never had it, then you don't know what you're missin! :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:43 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Straight from the bloody cow is best! :roll: If you have never had it, then you don't know what you're missin! :)

Foo
Having worked on a dairy farm I can't the stuff - apart from the weird blue colour it's far to rich and makes me extremely nauseous.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:43 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Straight from the bloody cow is best! :roll: If you have never had it, then you don't know what you're missin! :)

Foo
Au contraire. Having worked on a dairy farm I can't the stuff - apart from the weird blue colour it's far to rich and makes me extremely nauseous.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Foo
Too right.
I came off a dairy farm way back. Beaut fresh creamy milk every day not to mention the thick separated cream for the bread and jam.

The supermarket bottled milk of today is like water in comparison to those days.

John

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Pizza, ice cream, etc are all out - I notice the effects within 30 minutes. Cough, snot, splutter, hack. Although sometimes I am naughty. :oops: For some reason High5's 4:1 seems to be OK but I'm limiting it to once a week on the long Sunday ride.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:40 pm

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Blue colour? What the heck kind of freak cows did you have ron? :shock:

I grew up on a dairy farm and hardly ever drank water, it was milk, milk, milk. 3 or 4 litres a day in summer. When we stopped dairying it took me a while to get used to the taste of processed milk but if it wasn't for the cost i'd still be drinking that much, now it's only a litre or less a day.

As Milar touched on, the "Home Brand" milk is EXACTLY the same as branded milk, same cows, same farms, same processors. It changes from time to time as the supermarkets squeeze every last bit of blood out of the processors but IGA, Aldi, Woolies and Coles home branded milk will be supplied by Parmalat/Pauls, Dairy Farmers or National Foods and one or two others. The only difference is the label on the bottle, and the fact that the more generic milk is sold, the more farmers live in abject poverty. Of course it all comes back to deregulation, which should never have happened.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:17 am

I've also cut right down on milk this year, and thought soy milk was better for me. Until today, I've been drinking about a litre a week in my banana smoothies for breakfast. Thanks for the heads up. What about almond milk?

Can't wait for a thread about eggs.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:21 am

Bottom line: milk isn't much chop for you, and buying the cheapest milk is hurting the people trying to make a living out of it. In SE Queensland we have 'FOR REAL' unhomogenised milk which is privately owned and they pay the farmers about 20% more than the supermarkets. Buy that one if you can.

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:51 am

I buy unhomogenised milk, the brand I buy is available in low fat and full cream versions.

I'm lucky there are two farmer's markets on different weekends not too far from where I live, so on those weekends I buy direct from the producer. The rest of the time it's my local wholefoods store.

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 am

As far as I'm concerned, the stuff you buy in the supermarkets is not milk, it is some sort of reconstituted dairy beverage that loosely resembles milk.

I buy unhomogenised milk, the brand I buy is available in low fat and full cream versions. It is also not standardised, so has quite a lot of seasonal variation in both cream content and flavour. I'm lucky there are two farmer's markets on different weekends not too far from where I live, so on those weekends I buy direct from the producer. The rest of the time it's my local wholefoods store.

Where do you live? That will determine who your local small producers are. I'm in Victoria and buy Schulz Organics.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Rice milk is probably the healthiest milk I've found so far.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/milk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Goat milk. Milky but with a good hit of barnyard.