Veracious Veins Treatment

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Je

Veracious Veins Treatment

Postby Je » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:15 pm

My partner has this question;

I'm in my early 20's and I've had varicose veins in my left calf for some time now which has slowly become more uncomfortable and larger (in some parts of the vein 10-12mm wide) over time. I've seen a surgeon who has recommended that I have surgery to remove the problem vein but have heard mixed reviews on whether this is a successful form of treatment. The surgeon told me my only option is to have surgery because of the size of the vein.

In addition to the calf I also have a varicocele in my left testicle which at the moment only gives occasional discomfort. The same surgeon has recommend an embolisation. I've read that this treatment is often unsuccessful and can make the problem worse.

Has anyone who has had varicose veins or varicocele share their experience or opinion on treatment, I'm trying to decide what and if treatment should be prioritised?

sogood

Re: Veracious Veins Treatment

Postby sogood » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:20 pm

All standard treatment recommendations. Given the young age, there's even more reason to get them sorted to avoid exacerbation over time. Yes, result can vary and may require repeated treatments, but that just life. But also reason why your partner should find the most skilled and experienced to do the job. A reputable vascular surgeon is the starting point. If he is any good, he'll also have an interventional radiologist in support.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Varicose vein treatments should be seen as essentially cosmetic unless you have leg ulcers. And as to having a varicocele embolised - that's a new one. Laparoscopic varicocele ligation is the gold standard, but you need to face a small but real risk of testicular loss/death.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Je, i have precisely the same afflictions.

the varicocele appeared immediately after i drunkenly jumped a fence into the member's area at the horse races and crushed my balls.

for both conditions (i have one in my calf too) i have been given conflicting advice by doctors - get it fixed, don't get it fixed. i choose to follow the latter advice. no one disagrees on the need for a triple bypass when your aorta is about to burst. it's clearly not urgent. i have been advised to go back if it gives me hassles though. it hasn't, yet.

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:13 am

I had an operation to treat varicose veins in my left leg about 5 years ago.
Apart from looking ugly, my left calf (the affected leg) was swollen compared to the right leg, and there was always some discomfort ( I wouldn't call it pain) in the leg affected.
The problem vein was not removed as such, but blocked off and a solution injected into the vein as various points which kind of dissolves the blood build-up.
The operation is simple and done under local anesthetic. You will wear a compression stocking for two weeks, and for me, the procedure was well worth it.
Looks heaps better, no more swelling and no more discomfort.

petie

Postby petie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:18 am

I know it's not a permanent solution, but compression socks can provide some pain relief whilst exercising in the interim? These days there are a fair few options with the trendiness of compression garments.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:55 am

You have truthful veins? :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...