Persription Glasses thread?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

Persription Glasses thread?

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Is there one?.
My eyes are going with age :| ... starting to get a bit fuzzy at longer distances. Affects driving at night. But after my first mtb ride in a long time yesterday where I was on the ragged edge many times while descending at speed in shade I think it is time I started looking into glasses.
Any recommendations? ... after cycling specific ( can wear them in the car ) ... maybe photochromatic?
Cheers :D

Tim

Re: Persription Glasses thread?

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 pm

I have the same problem. Blurry vision at distance, tiresome driving at night but still fine up close.
My optometrist recommended these by Ryders Eyewear;

http://www.ryderseyewear.com.au/product ... &page=7#83

Tons cheaper than Oakley, Maui Jim etc, they took a little getting used to with the RX (prescription) insert.
Been wearing them for a couple of years now and am completely comfortable in them cycling, driving and general outdoor wear. There are various lenses available. I fitted the orange, a light tint that I even wear driving at night but also cuts glare and UV in the daylight.
The nosepiece wore out, the lenses scratched and an arm split. This was no problem, the optometrist sourced replacement parts, much cheaper than complete replacement. They're probably not as well made as the expensive brands but in the past I've often trashed, lost or sat on glasses. It's no great loss if I wreck these.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 pm

I've tried most of the Rx insert types and haven't found one to date that my eyelashes don't brush against. Ended up fitting Rx lenses to a pair of Bolle safety specs.

Test fit before purchase.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 pm

I went with Oakley photochromics which were brilliant ... until I lost them. That was an expensive day out at Wisemans Ferry. :(

Would I get them again? Yes. The improvement in vision especially riding at night was very noticeable, but not nearly as noticeable as the loss of acuity without them.

Mine were the clear to mid brown tint. I've put off replacing them due to the cost, but I won't have a choice if I want to ride fast and keep the rubber side down at next year's Mont 24.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I've tried most of the Rx insert types and haven't found one to date that my eyelashes don't brush against.
I carefully trimmed mine at first. Then I just got used to it and is no bother any more.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Cheers for the advice ... yeah I don't have much luck keeping glasses in good condition either. Plus I am a salty bugger :D .
Health insurance here will cover a fair chunk so that makes what ever I chose a bit cheaper!.
Simple fact was yesterday I definitely noticed I was not making out the sharp lines of rocks etc on the descents... couple of times when the speed was too high to do anything but stick my bum back I thought "this is gonna hurt!" . Luckily I stayed upright ... still it sucks not been able to smash descents as hard!. Yeah I suppose driving safely at night will be a bonus :mrgreen: .
Will have to look at some costs.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Go Titanium frames, I corrode crappy frames.:cry:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Stupid Tapa Talk telling me server error
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 pm

What ever fits your face

I tried a few different brands, bought a pair of choakleys found they fitted my face. So bought a pair of prescription Oakleys yellow polarized lenses and matching frame. Probably need a pair of photochromatic lenses as well. My current glasses & lenses are great for my evening TTs into the sun and back. But for winter morning (ie dark) rides they are no good.

So big thumbs up to my Oakleysv(racing jackets) and the lenses, yellow polarized for what I needed them for.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:09 pm

if your eyes are not that bad you can probably get pretty standard sunnies with prescription lens without the rx inserts.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:44 am

TLL, have a look at the following review article for Sports Optical who make curved lenses for sports glasses. Basically, you choose the glasses that suit you and they'll make a prescription lense for it. http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/04/spor ... unglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure you tell them you heard about it on BNA.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:43 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:TLL, have a look at the following review article for Sports Optical who make curved lenses for sports glasses. Basically, you choose the glasses that suit you and they'll make a prescription lense for it. http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/04/spor ... unglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure you tell them you heard about it on BNA.
That would be a nice option! ... Will have to see if they can be covered from my insurance here, although their price doesn't seem so bad.

eeksll wrote:if your eyes are not that bad you can probably get pretty standard sunnies with prescription lens without the rx inserts.
I think my prescription is very mild at the moment.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 pm

I've had glasses since primary school. this year I got old duck's glasses. :shock: ie bifocals. I also got them with transition lenses so its 1 pair, all day all the time.

The only problem I ever have is that if I look down to see my speedo to see how i'm going, I have to nod my head to get it into the sweet spot. as that distance is a bit too far for the up close area, but too close for the far away area. but that's no big deal.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 pm

The only problem I ever have is that if I look down to see my speedo to see how i'm going, I have to nod my head to get it into the sweet spot
I have a similar problem. I don't need glasses to see the speedo, but my distance vision is rubbish.

I decided to try riding with the glasses I have for TV/driving. I made it about 5 minutes and had to take them off. It was a totally weird and unnerving experience. I don't know why, probably because my peripheral vision was cut right down.

I've seen sunnies with the prescription insert but I've been put off now as I hate my eyelashes brushing on the inside of glasses. I thought that might be a problem, glad to see it confirmed before I spend any money.

Not sure what to do so this thread is helpful.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:01 pm

My prescription is too strong to go for straight glasses, so I have a BBB model with prescription inserts. The lenses are photo chromatic. They work really well.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Go Titanium frames, I corrode crappy frames.:cry:

Foo
agree

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 am

I use Shimano Equinox with a RX insert, good value at $80 for the frame with photo chromatic lens, plus $30 for the Rx frame, plus the cost of your prescription lens.

One issue with Rx inserts if you have a high prescription, the curve in the rx insert when you insert them into the frame will cause the focus to go out a little. My prescription is 5.5 - 6, but if yours is less then 4 you should be OK. Mine is still OK, just not perfect.

When yo are choosing your frame, look for one that does not have a large wrap around your face, the flatter the better for the lens. Some of the MTB styles are flatter, but not so euro - chic.

Matt
Wilier GTR

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am

I've had a light prescription for distance for years (slowly getting stronger) I generally use my prescription sunnies, not specific cycling gear, but reasonable wrap. There is a limit to the wrap available from standard prescriptions, they just cant get the optics rifght for some frames.

LAst year I was given a set of Shimano EQ glasses as a prize at the Highland Fling. I nearly sold them before I discovered they had the RX inserts. HAve now had them made up, and while its taking a little time to get used to the new script they are quite good, but it seems I got some dud photochromatics so only really use them in the dark and go back to the sunnies during the day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I spent ages looking for some good wraparound glasses. I wanted a clear pair for night commuting, sunnies (some old Arnettes with rx lenses added) were great in the day but my office specs were useless in the wind. Was prepared to pay a fair bit too; Rudy Projects, Oakleys etc...

Then went to Bali last year and went to an optometrist there. Got these: (single focus, ~-1.5 with minor astigmatism, anti-reflective coating)

For $30.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Been thinking of trying a helmet with eye shield such as the giro air attack. Wearing my normal specs underneath.

Anyone try that? Possible fogging issues?

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I've recently got some oakley crosslinks and am very happy with them. I needed something flat-ish for my lenses.

a

Postby a » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Contacts?

Worth a try if you haven't.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Sychen wrote:Been thinking of trying a helmet with eye shield such as the giro air attack. Wearing my normal specs underneath.

Anyone try that? Possible fogging issues?
I have an air attack with a tinted eye shield, which I wear when TTing.
Originally I wore my normal multifocal glasses underneath.
The only issue is peripheral vision, my regular glasses are flat, so my peripheral vision was limited/blurry. So I needed to turn my head, which is a bad thing to do in a TT.

I now use my curved riding glasses (Oakley racing jackets with prescription tinted lenses) under my tinted eye shield, not great in low light situations (so looking at a clear eye shield), but far better that flat glasses.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:07 pm

I got prescription lenses made for a pair of Rudys so they can double as protective glasses at work. Really disappointed with them to ride though, the progressive focal lenses makes depth perception really tricky. Just using standard photocromatic lenses in them on the bike now.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I know a bloke who bought some of these recently: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS-Pro ... 35da1252fa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He reckons they're fine and has ordered another pair.

$19.99 for the glasses and he said he paid $128 to get his prescription in the Rx frames. I'm thinking of getting some myself at that price.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me