Big toe pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Runnett

Big toe pain

Postby Runnett » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello everyone,

After completing a bike ride the other day (approx. 66k) i went for a swim the next morning and found when i extended my foot to kick there was a strong pain in my big toe. The pain feels either nerve or tendon, with a small tender spot near the knuckle. Interestingly i can run hop skip and jump; so running and cycling is not a problem.

It is likely i'll be going to a Dr or physio to sort this out, but in the meantime, i'm interested to know if anyone has had a similar problem or if cycling can cause this type of injury?

tcdev

Re: Big toe pain

Postby tcdev » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm

The only similar thing I've had is gout! :O
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Yep - gout. Bank on it...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Runnett

Postby Runnett » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep in mind gout, although there is no swelling or redness and my diet/health is pretty good as i'm training for a few events.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Runnett wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep in mind gout, although there is no swelling or redness and my diet/health is pretty good as i'm training for a few events.
Yet.

Sounds a little like the progression in my late FiLs case, pain on certain activities noticeable before any visible symptoms.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Gout can take different forms. I have had episodes of swelling/redness around the big toe (very painful) but also pain in the knees that used to occur after driving the car for a certain period of time. Initially it was over two hours but over time it reduced to 30 minutes at which point the pain would become unbearable. Would have to stop and hobble around the car for 10 minutes! Since taking Allurpurinol no more painful big toe episodes (but it does always feel slightly "wrong") and no pain in the knees while driving.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 pm

The other cause is hallux rigidus. Might be worth looking into that.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:42 pm

I started getting infrequent episodes in my big toe quite a few years ago. Treated with anti-inflammatory because it was not very often. Then I 'injured' my Achilles tendon on an OS trip which had me hobbling for days. It re-occurred a year or so later but this time I was incapacitated for weeks. GP's, X-rays, physio's... no cause of injury found until it was finally suggested that it could be gout. A few more episodes in the following months and I subsequently went onto Allupurinol once/day. No attacks since.

Thing is, my diet isn't bad and my triggers appeared to be tomato, red meat, prawns and alcohol (especially scotch whiskey). Eating a dish with tomato paste and then again the following night (left-overs) was usually enough to set me off. A scotch or two that night would seal the deal. Some people just have naturally high levels of uric acid and attacks are triggered without a necessarily indulgent or gluttonous lifestyle.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1