Convenient Carbs?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
march83

Convenient Carbs?

Postby march83 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:22 am

I'm looking for new ideas for convenient post ride carb sources. I'm eating berries + banana + muesli + yoghurt at the moment, but too much yoghurt and too many grains both give me sinus problems after a while. I'm out of town for work at the moment, but when i'm at home i normally do a shake based on dairy, soy or coconut milk with lots of fruit. At the moment i'm doing most of my riding in the morning before work so whatever i eat has to be quick and convenient.

Any suggestions outside of the typical chocolate milk, cereal, bananas, etc?

wombatK

Re: Convenient Carbs?

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm

What you're eating now is a great choice, except for the bit about sinus trouble. It would be worth trying a decent elimination process to work out just
what is causing a possible allergic reaction.

So try berries + banana + a single grain + dried fruit. For example, oats have almost no gluten, which means they're okay for those with coelica disease - i.e. gluten intolerance).
Add some strawberries to the mix to make up for what the muesli is missing.

Yoghurt could give you trouble if you are lactose intolerant - most europeans aren't, but most asians raised in asia are.
A shake based on dairy would of course give a lactose intolerant person lots of trouble. And symptoms of lactose
intolerance are mainly adbominal ... wouldn't explain sinus troubles.

If you want to be sure, Vaalia have a pretty good lactose free low fat yoghurt you could try... http://www.vaalia.com.au/products/vaali ... e-yoghurt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Of course you should stay off other dairy products while trying that.

A possibly more likely culprit is if the yoghurt you are using has artifical flavours and enhancers in it,
that could be what you're allergic too and a simple change of brand might fix it, particularly to the
natural unflavoured yoghurt ... you shouldn't need flavour with all those sweet fruits in the mix.

If you were a betting man, you'd bet on you having sensitivity to one thing ... either the additives, the lactose, or gluten, but
not 2 or more of them. But the only way to tell is to change one thing at a time, and persist for maybe a week with each
change to give time for your body to adjust to each change. Most allergies have a threshold, and some a cumulative
effect, so you might not get trouble until a change has been made for a few days.

And you would need to eliminate grains, including bread, from other meals to be sure they're not contributing to pushing
you over any intolerance threshold.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:59 am

This should be of interest. Published to day in the popular media at http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/c ... 7095871321
October 20, 201411:14AM

8 carbohydrates you should be eating

A RECENT study showed that eating a low-carb diet could help people lose more weight and cut heart risks better than a low-fat diet. But before you completely swear them off, keep in mind that we couldn’t survive without carbohydrates.

They’re essential fuel for our bodies — and brains — especially when participating in any kind of physical activity. But our bodies also need carbs to regulate mood and to keep our intestines moving. Plus, keep in mind that not all carbs are created equal. In fact, even on food labels, you’ll see the total number of carbohydrates in a packaged food is broken down into different types, usually sugars and fibre.

Fibre’s the good stuff: Often stripped from processed grains like white bread and white rice, it can help keep you full, lower cholesterol, prevent heart attacks and much, much more. Without fibre, refined grains lead to blood sugar swings that keep us craving more food. Whole, fibre-rich grains don’t.

You’ll want to watch out for sugar, but particularly added sugar. Fruits, some vegetables and even dairy products will contain some natural sugar, which is included in a food’s total grams of sugar.

To get a sense of how much added sugar is in a food, scan the ingredients labels, and stay away from anything with white sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate or other names for added sugar among the first few ingredients.

Wholegrain versions of your favourite packaged foods exist on just about every grocery store shelf. But there are also some overlooked sources of carbs in their whole and natural states that you can easily add to your diet stat. Here are eight of our favourites.

Beans
Beans are a great source of carbs and protein.Source: Supplied
Kidney, pinto, black, butter — just about any type of bean provides a hearty dose of fibre and little sugar. An ounce of black beans, for example, contains 7 total grams of carbs, 2 of which are fibre.

Of course, beans have the additional benefit of providing protein, and one study found that bean eaters weighed less (but ate more!) than people who avoided beans, WebMD reported.

Pumpkin

Pumpkin is another low-sugar, high-fibre source of carbs. A cup of cooked butternut cubes contains nearly 22 grams of carbohydrates, more than 6 of which are fibre.

The bright hue of butternut and other squashes signifies the presence of carotenoids, a type of disease-fighting antioxidant.

Oats

The particular type of fibre in oats has been linked to improved heart health and weight management, as well as lower cholesterol. Just don’t overdo it on the sugar-sweetened toppings!

Popcorn

In some of the greatest news: Popcorn is a whole grain. Stick to the air-popped variety so you don’t overdo it on fat and sodium — one cup has 6 grams of carbs, 1 of which is fibre, and has only 31 calories.

Quinoa

Not only does one cup contain 5 grams of fibre, but quinoa is also a complete protein. That means it contains all nine of the essential amino acids, which cannot be made by the body and therefore must come from food.

Sweet Potatoes

Any potato (with the skin on!) is a great source of fibre-rich carbs, but sweet potatoes are loaded with those same colourful carotenoids as squash. Sweet taters boast some vitamin C, protein and potassium, to boot.

Bananas

“Nature’s power bar” rivals sports drinks when it comes to providing athletes with energy (i.e. carbs) thanks to those natural sugars. But a medium banana also contains 3 grams of fibre and a hearty dose of vitamin B6, crucial for more than 100 different functions in the body.

Berries

Just about any variety will deliver some fibre and a whole host of vitamins and antioxidants. Blueberries are one of our favourite picks, since an entire cup will only set you back 84 calories. Plus, eating just one serving of the tiny superfruit a week has been linked with warding off cognitive decline as we age.

This article originally appeared on The Huffington Post.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Ditch the yoghurt, you dont want that crap in your stomach.
Banana(s) and dates smoothie with water or non-dairy milk + A tonne of oven baked potatoes. Who doesn't like potato's. Simples.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 pm

wombatK wrote:
For example, oats have almost no gluten, which means they're okay for those with coelica disease - i.e. gluten intolerance).
Cheers
Statement from Coeliac Org Aust re Gluten in Oats (intended as additional info not to challenge wombatK)

http://www.coeliac.org.au/uploads/65701 ... PSOats.pdf

Oats and the gluten free diet
Gluten is the general descriptor used to describe a prolamin protein fraction that affects those with
coeliac disease. This protein occurs only in wheat, rye, barley and oats. Technically the gluten fraction
from each grain is named differently in each grain, as the amino acid sequence is slightly different, yet
these fractions still contain the sequence that will trigger symptoms and intestinal damage in those with
coeliac disease. The gluten fraction is called gliadin in wheat, hordein in barley, secalin in rye and
avenin in oats
Food can be tested by laboratories to determine the presence and a certain level of gluten content,
however, the current tests for gluten can only measure gliadin, hordein, and secalin but not avenin due to
its slight difference in amino acid make up. As a result FSANZ (Food Standards Australia and New
Zealand) prohibit any form of oats to be defined as gluten free, hence all oats, pure oats and oat
containing products cannot be labelled or advertised as gluten free in Australia and New Zealand.
In contrast to the Australian standard, food standards in Europe and USA recognise oats as being gluten
free and safe for those with coeliac disease to consume. Accordingly the associated countries are
producing a gluten free oats, which means they are free from contamination of wheat, rye or barley (due
to the nature of crops being grown in close proximity and sharing equipment in harvesting and
packaging). By Australian standards, as oats is not defined or recognised as gluten free, irrespective of
the laboratory results obtained, uncontaminated oats is only permitted to be labelled as wheat, rye and
barley free.
Limited clinical studies have shown that as many as 4 in 5 with coeliac disease can tolerate
uncontaminated oats in small quantities without causing symptoms or damage to the small intestine, but
this statistic does translate into 1 in 5 (20%) will still react to uncontaminated oats. Since there is no
simple test to determine who falls within this 20% of reactivity, it has been recommended by leading
researchers and gastroenterologists that oats should not be included within the gluten free diet.
It is recommended that should an individual wish to consume oats as part of the gluten free diet, a biopsy
prior to and 3 months during regular oat consumption be done to determine its safety on the individual.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Crawf wrote:Ditch the yoghurt, you dont want that crap in your stomach.
I don't agree. I eat several kilograms of yoghurt every week. I love it.
Crawf wrote:Banana(s) and dates smoothie with water or non-dairy milk + A tonne of oven baked potatoes. Who doesn't like potato's. Simples.
Me! I don't like potatoes at all and never eat them. Sweet potatoes, yes. Other potatoes? No, never!
<removed by request>

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

Crawf wrote: Banana(s) and dates smoothie
Recipe?