Numb hands while riding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Numb hands while riding

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:01 am

Tim wrote:Cycling is the main worry. Hands go numb frequently. Good gloves, thick, padded bar tape, changing bar position every few minutes, lifting hands off the bars and "pumping" life back into them, riding one handed (when safe to do so), good fit etc. etc. all help somewhat, but rest works best of all. I rack up 8-12 hours a week on the bikes and my hands give me much less (if any) trouble after a day or two off.
Just to confirm that is not normal. When I first returned to cycling I had pain so bad I had to stop. That was a combination of a poor bike setup (seat too far forward) and a lack of exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles in my wrists. I never get pain or numbness now.
Tim wrote:The exercises sound interesting. I might do a little research.
When I get a chance I will post. In the meantime, I can tell you I do dumbell wrist curls (wrist flexions and wrist extensions) but I put my thumb and fingers on the same side of the bar and do twice as many wrist extensions as wrist extensions. However, I think I need to start doing more of these: http://imgarcade.com/1/wrist-exercises/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did some stretches today and it was more uncomfortable than it should have been.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 am

Here is the grip I use: Image
<removed by request>

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 am

I also suffered from sore numb hands from a bad bike fit. When touring my hands would literally be killing me on day 3 or 4. I swapped the handlebar stem for something more upright and now I have zero hand pain and numbness even when doing 50 hours per week. Even though the more upright stance allows a better view of the scenery (instead of being hunched over the front wheel micro managing the road 3 metres in front of you), the less aggressive stance puts more weight on the saddle and less on the front wheel (which affects handling ... especially in rough or technical situations) and slightly diminishes the power you can generate from a more aggressive stance.
Go!Run!GAH!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:16 am

Thanks for the comments and thoughts casual_cyclist, Cheesewheel, CKinnard and others.
The linked page has some good simple wrist stretches and exercises.

TheKaptone

Postby TheKaptone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 pm

This has been an very interesting thread to read. I had bad numbness today. I am going to start with lifting the handle bars and see how it goes. As mentioned before I will do it bit by bit and take notes before I forget where I started

Illuminate

Postby Illuminate » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Tim, any updates regarding this and whether any of the suggested remedies have been successful in diminishing your discomfort?

Cheers, I

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:48 pm

To be honest I haven't followed-up on the suggested exercises, I really should.
A couple of rest days each week help enormously. Come to think of it, I've not had any bother for some time now. Mild, temporary numbness at worst.
I bought new gloves over the Christmas break, Endura Aerogel, perhaps they are helping.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Here is the grip I use: Image
That seems odd. Having a bend like that in my wrist would probably give me numb hands too! Why not ride with a straight wrist?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:58 pm

human909 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Here is the grip I use: Image
That seems odd. Having a bend like that in my wrist would probably give me numb hands too! Why not ride with a straight wrist?
That grip is for wrist curls and reverse wrist curls - rehab exercises. When I ride I use a normal grip and straight wrists! :lol:
<removed by request>