After Cancer fears

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
OzyTaff

After Cancer fears

Postby OzyTaff » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi to all of you.
I am new here and would like some advice. I have been through both cancer treatment and some major surgery in the last year and have lost a LOT of weight and muscle.
I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new bike but am worried I am not going to be able to manage. Has anyone any experience in cancer recovery and has decided to use a bike to try and gain back some fitness?
any experiences personally or with someone close to you would be appreciated :)

Thanks
Taff

moosterbounce

Re: After Cancer fears

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Glad to see you've come out the other side ;)

No experience with what you went through, but many here have come from an obese background with no fitness or muscle, with their weight making breathing difficult. Mostly, people start with 10 minutes today, 11 minutes tomorrow, etc. slowly building up will definitely be the way to go and also get your confidence back.

But, if you are concerned - and I don't blame you - why not take out a one month gym membership, go daily, and ride an exercise bike, increasing each day? It wouLd tell you pretty quick how you'd go - I know it isn't quite the same, but it is stationary and in a very controlled environment so you won't get stuck far from home!! For the $30 or whatever, it will confirm in your mind whether to invest in a bike or not. Many gyms will do a 2 week free membership - check on their website for offers or something like the Entertainment Book for cheap deals.

I hope it does end up working for you and you enjoy riding outside :)

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Firstly Taff... Props to you! Well done on fighting the good fight.
With what you've been through, who are we to tell you what you cannot do!

I did hear about this one guy that came back from Cancer and the brink of death. Apparently went and won the world toughest bike race a bunch of times. Whether he was able to do it legitimately or not and the opinions that people have of him for bringing the sport they love into some major disrepute, is another story completely (and we won't go there, here!).

I did my first long (well, what I would call long given my riding history a little less than a year ago!) charity ride this year, in the name of Prostate Cancer. There were a couple of older gentlemen on the ride that had survived Prostate Cancer, and were in good enough shape to ride 300 odd km's in 1 and a half days. They assure me that they are in better shape and fitness now, than they were pre-cancer.

The other thing that you mightn't realise, nor has been mentioned yet... Aside from the physical benefit (and whether that comes along and progresses or not, for this point, is somewhat irrelevant), I personally think cycling is fantastic for your mental health and well being. Many on here will obviously attest (after all, it is a cycling forum), but getting out for even a few minutes a day and spinning the legs in the fresh air is a god-send. You can clear the lungs, clear the head, enjoy the sunshine and the scenery (even more-so at a slower speed!), and generally just enjoy the break from everything else for a small moment...

If you do decide to take the plunge and you are worried, which is completely understandable, start out small. Aim for a local coffee shop (or whatever else you enjoy). If you find it too physically demanding, your not too far from home, you can chill out for a bit and recover, eat or enjoy a brew and hopefully get home again ok (even if you need to walk). If you make it through a few times and you are comfortable with that, you'll start looking further afield and before you know it, you'll have the confidence to take on a bit more. You'll get there in no time, and in a year or so you'll probably look back on this and laugh!

Good luck with it, thank you for joining and posting and let us know how you go, whether you decide to take it up or not.
All the best!

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 pm

My father was always a keen cyclist, not competitive but recreational and commuting mainly. A few years ago he had leukaemia and like you he lost a lot of weight including what little he had in the way of muscles. He got back on the bike straight away, it was one of the first things he did when he got out of hospital and I think it was very helpful for his recovery (mentally and physically). He recovered well enough that he rode close to 90km while he still had his central line in his chest (Mum was not happy when he disappeared for hours, ha ha!).

One thing to watch out for is bone density, my Dad's treatment regime left him with decreased bone density and unfortunately a slight mishap on a wet commute left him with a broken femur. Maybe talk to your doctor and ask about whether your bone density has been affected and what you can do to make it better. The good news is he recovered from that as well and was back on the bike before further health complications forced him off again. He is probably well enough to get out there again now, which reminds me I should try and take him for a spin around the lake or something on the weekend :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi OzyTaff,
Nothing like cancer but I had to come back from a crushed heel injury and was told I would only ever walk with a cane so get used to it. What brought me back was an old exercise bike that I built up on over a 3 month period.
Mind you, I then bought a bike and after the first 5 kay trip back home my legs felt like jelly. Now I no do 30 -40 klm trips no problem. I reckon take it slow and work up as others have said. I started with a Huffy that only half the gears worked on from new so I would not buy under $500-00 doing the same thing again. But you know what I mean ; you don't want to go too pricey to begin with :)
The thing is My grand son reckons the Huffy is great....
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks very much for your words of confidence and support guys, and sharing your stories on whatever type of recovery, it is all relevant to me. I can understand someone doing whatever it takes to get back on top after cancer, but yes, thats another story.
I put a lot of thought into how best to start exercising and the gym has never been my thing and I have spent enough time indoors this year, swimming is another past time i enjoy but am unable to go into the water as yet due to a PEG tube in my stomach, however, I am just happy at the thought of getting out in the sun both to gently cycle through the week and a bit of fun with my two young boys (7 and 8) on the weekends on the cycle paths down on the foreshore here in Mandurah.

Sooooo... Today I bit the bullet and bought an entry level road bike which was a Cannondale Caad8, I hope it serves me well :). I would like to put a big thanks to Micky at Fleet cycles Mandurah for the time he spent working out the best way to set up the bike. I have had a lower jaw and neck dissection (cut through my lower jaw and chin down my neck and across to my ear) and backwards movement in my neck is still limited at this stage, Micky changed components to raise the handlebars up slightly and tweaked the bike until it felt very comfortable, and has offered to take me on beginners rides of about 12k's and supporting me if i get tired, invaluable service.

Now to go for a ride, albeit only five or ten minutes to begin with :)

Taff

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Well done Taff to take that first step back and on the road to recovery.

Depending on your specific oncological treatments, certain aspects of your physiology may be more impacted than others (eg. Lung function with certain chemo agents). Irrespective, all will be at a low base and any kind of exercise is good for recovery. The most important thing is you should do one or more that you enjoy, ones that you'll continue to participate in. Irrespective of the bad name Lance Armstrong had, he went through chemo with major physical losses and was able to recover. So will you. Slow and steady and build up. Also pay attention to your nutrition/caloric intake whilst with a PEG in situ. Talk to the dietician on your treatment team for additional advice so that your exercises are well covered.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Very good advice so good. I have an appointment to see my dieticians tomorrow, they will be very happy in terms of exercise and will be on top of nutrition etc, i have known them for almost a year and they keep a very close eye on my calorie/protien intake :)

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 pm

OzyTaff wrote:I am just happy at the thought of getting out in the sun both to gently cycle through the week and a bit of fun with my two young boys (7 and 8) on the weekends on the cycle paths down on the foreshore here in Mandurah.

Sooooo... Today I bit the bullet and bought an entry level road bike which was a Cannondale Caad8, I hope it serves me well :).
Taff
That's the way, Taff!

As I said before, although its about getting some physical excersise in and getting stronger, fitter and building yourself up, its as much about your mental well being and enjoying some of our lovely sunshine (before it gets too hot!), especially if you hail from 'sunny' Wales - maybe I am assuming too much, but the username kinda gives it away!

Good stuff on the Caad. They have an almost cult like following in different parts of the world. A very well revered frame...
Should do you nicely!

Keep at it!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm

I can understand your fear OzyTaff, anecdotal evidence is that cycling after cancer can cause you to use peformance enhancing drugs :wink:

Enjoy your riding and listen to your own body - it is easy to get wrapped up in how someone else recovered went whether it is better or worse than your own. Above all enjoy your time with your sons.

Cheers

Bruce

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

find_bruce wrote:I can understand your fear OzyTaff, anecdotal evidence is that cycling after cancer can cause you to use peformance enhancing drugs :wink:
That form of PED is a well accepted medical therapy.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:52 pm

sogood wrote: That form of PED is a well accepted medical therapy.
IIRC, EPO was developed for use with recovery from anaemia resulting from some cancer treatments. So can ozytaff ask his GP for some ?

Props to the osytaff for getting active while still needing PEG feeding. That's the way to beat the big C !
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 pm

There are specific indications for the use of EPO/Cera and I'd think the doctors would have given what's needed for Taff. Assuming normal marrow by this stage of clinical course, natural production is probably best and adequate. EPO made a world of difference for patients with chronic renal failure, probably the main beneficiary. Obviously there are also many other smaller groups that benefited.

Blinding

Postby Blinding » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 pm

My Father has been in a similar situation, he bought his first road bike and was ready to get into another aspect of fitness which he loved only to be diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 2 months later, he went from pushing 400kg + on the leg press to barely being able to walk up a slight hill to a neighbours house. Now he is in remission and has been for 12 months or so and all he has been doing is focusing on getting back close to where he was before he was diagnosed. Started out with getting back to basics and some small weight training, he then got the confidence to get back on the bike but struggled with his balance as he lost that also. Now for the past 6 months it has been a heavily focused on lung capacity as well as endurance and safe to see he is in pretty tip top shape! He outdoes me on the road bike and I'm only 22, just recently started cycling again after 7 years of no real physical activity :oops: .

Just set some small goals and keep ticking them off as you go and before you know it those goals will just keep getting bigger and bigger and you will just keep knocking them down, 1 after another after another.
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Good to hear such a great come back Blinding :)
And yes dirty, I hail from wales originally but have been here in Perth since i was 12, which means the last 33 years.

Yesterday I had my PEG feeding tube removed and discussed my planned exercise regime with my dieticians, they were very impressed and advised me well on calorie intake etc, so it was good to get their go ahead, even one of the young surgeons heard i was in so she came and was all cheerful that I was taking up something so good for me so soon, perfect patient apparently. :)

Today was day two in my riding plan and although to most of you guys it will not seem like much, it is a big achievement for me, Only 20minutes with 5.2Km's travelled, its a start :)

Thanks all
Taff

Blinding

Postby Blinding » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:48 pm

OzyTaff wrote:Good to hear such a great come back Blinding :)
And yes dirty, I hail from wales originally but have been here in Perth since i was 12, which means the last 33 years.

Yesterday I had my PEG feeding tube removed and discussed my planned exercise regime with my dieticians, they were very impressed and advised me well on calorie intake etc, so it was good to get their go ahead, even one of the young surgeons heard i was in so she came and was all cheerful that I was taking up something so good for me so soon, perfect patient apparently. :)

Today was day two in my riding plan and although to most of you guys it will not seem like much, it is a big achievement for me, Only 20minutes with 5.2Km's travelled, its a start :)

Thanks all
Taff

Good to hear Taff!
That distance will double in no time but that time well remain the same ;)
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Taff,

I am a C survivor (nearly 5 years), my love of bike riding got me through a very difficult time, I was left with a few life long problems and bike riding helps me get through every day, I am so so lucky, I also beat a major heart problem (AF) 7 years ago.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Tony

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:44 am

OzyTaff wrote:Today was day two in my riding plan and although to most of you guys it will not seem like much, it is a big achievement for me, Only 20minutes with 5.2Km's travelled, its a start :)
Small distance in cycling, giant distance for Taff!

Excellent start! There's absolutely no need to hurry but to continue. Bear in mind also that there'll be changes to your physiology and coordination after a major illness, so it's good that you are cautious with your riding at this stage. Given the markedly reduced reserve in your physiology, the last thing you want is a bike accident. So ride easy and gentle to gradually rebuild your physique/coordination. One little step at a time. It's also worth keeping an exercise diary to keep you motivated and an interesting read in time to come.

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Blinding wrote: Good to hear Taff!
That distance will double in no time but that time well remain the same ;)
HA might take a while :)

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:23 pm

TonyB wrote:Hi Taff,

I am a C survivor (nearly 5 years), my love of bike riding got me through a very difficult time, I was left with a few life long problems and bike riding helps me get through every day, I am so so lucky, I also beat a major heart problem (AF) 7 years ago.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Tony
I am so glad you came through the fight and I know how you feel being left with life long problems, its hard to face up to them at times. Let the natural endorphins continue working while you cycle :)

Taff

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm

sogood wrote:
Small distance in cycling, giant distance for Taff!

Excellent start! There's absolutely no need to hurry but to continue. Bear in mind also that there'll be changes to your physiology and coordination after a major illness, so it's good that you are cautious with your riding at this stage. Given the markedly reduced reserve in your physiology, the last thing you want is a bike accident. So ride easy and gentle to gradually rebuild your physique/coordination. One little step at a time. It's also worth keeping an exercise diary to keep you motivated and an interesting read in time to come.[/quote]

I am fearful of falling sogood so am cautious and a steady pace for some time, and sticking to the bike paths for the time being. I have downloaded STRAVA to keep a record of my rides which will motivate me to ride a little further each day and to look back on, and of course to hopefully, one day, brag to my wife :D

Taff

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Bragging needs to start from Day 1! :D

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Taff this is great to read. I hope that you continue to enjoy the riding and benefit from the exercise.

Exercise is well recognised as beneficial for cancer recovery (as well on treatment) so good on you for getting into it. It is great to hear that you have your treatment team involved in your exercise progress and planning. These days some oncology treatment centres have exercise physiologists. It might be worth asking your team if that service is available to you (don't assume that they would have referred you if they had one...never ceases to amaze me how often services exist but a referral isn't made pro-actively).

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Having Micky at Fleet cycles Mandurah in your team is also a bonus. He is a top guy.

OzyTaff

Postby OzyTaff » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 am

hey pax, i will check with my ENT specialists about exercise physiologists all help to improve my health and fitness is appreciated and welcome.